Leinster 2011-12

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Leinster 2011-12

Post by breakdown »

Decent move for him. Read an interview by him a few weeks back and if im correct he said his last aim is to win the Heiny, not really a better team to have a chance of doing so than Leinster and given their shortage on locks he will be very good. AB legend and a hero of mine, great player whos allways consistant :D
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Today's report on Lukey:

Fitzgerald deal reaches impasse

GAVIN CUMMISKEY

LUKE FITZGERALD is on the verge of leaving Leinster. The Irish Times understands the IRFU contract offered to Fitzgerald a number of months ago has been withdrawn, leaving negotiations at an impasse.

Despite being outside the current Ireland squad, the 24-year-old was offered a new centrally-contracted deal that is a 30 per cent reduction on his current salary. That is believed to be somewhere in the region of a drop from €280,000 to €200,000 to re-sign for another two years.

Fitzgerald’s agent, Fintan Drury, chairman of Platinum One, who has been negotiating with the union on his behalf, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The Leinster, Ireland and 2009 Lions Test winger-gum-centre-gum-fullback is now faced with a number of overseas options.

London Irish, where Munster scrumhalf Tomás O’Leary signed a contract last week, have been mentioned but there is also interest from French clubs.

Asked about the process yesterday, Leinster team manager Guy Easterby said: “Everyone is working hard to get it over the line. Luke wants to stay and the IRFU want him to stay so sometimes going through these negotiations take a little bit longer. It is just one of the ones that is taking its time.”

When asked if it was becoming a worry, Easterby replied: “You would obviously be worried because you want Luke to be here, put his name in the succession planning for the next couple of years and pencil him in.

“Again, that is the way the business is. That is going to happen from time to time with certain contracts. Keep working hard on it and hope it comes down in our favour.”

Gordon D’Arcy has signed a new contract that will keep the 32-year-old in Dublin.

Leinster coach Joe Schmidt recently stated he was “quietly confidant” the negotiations between Drury, Fitzgerald and the Union – primarily the director of human resources Maurice Dowling (Leinster are not involved in the process), would be sorted out.

“The longer it goes the more difficult it is for Luke to do planning and the more difficult it is for us to do planning because he is an important part of our future,” said Schmidt. “The IRFU have managed to sign most of the Irish squad players they wanted to keep. I know Luke is one of those. I certainly hope something can be brokered.”

Fitzgerald, if selected, will become the 18th member of Leinster’s 100-cap club in Thomond Park on Saturday. However, the past 18 months have been difficult for the former Blackrock College schoolboy, capped 23 times for Ireland since his debut in 2006.

Having returned from a serious knee injury, Declan Kidney picked him at fullback in the 2011 Six Nations, as Rob Kearney and Geordan Murphy were both unavailable. That experiment failed with Kidney dropping him from the starting XV before selecting Fergus McFadden and Felix Jones ahead of him in the World Cup squad.

Fitzgerald immediately returned to provincial colours, where Schmidt employed him at inside centre when D’Arcy and McFadden were in New Zealand. On their return he played mainly on the left wing and was playing well again until a neck problem in December scuppered any chances of an international recall.

Meanwhile, Leinster have re-signed Ian Madigan for two more years after a string of impressive performances this season. Madigan’s prolific try-scoring form at outhalf looks set to ensure last summer’s Kiwi signing, Mat Berquist, will be moving on, with Biarritz a potential destination.

Schmidt is also seeking a longer term secondrow option to replace Steven Sykes, as Brad Thorn returns to Japan in June.
ladyboy696969
Novice

Post by ladyboy696969 »

New poster here, from all the way down in dirty dublin. How are ye? I should probably not ask this question, but I see we have been referred to as the "mexicans" here a few times, whats the origin?? Kinda got used to the ladyboys tag, disarms our foes before we obliterate them. Best of luck on Sunday, and I really mean that.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

"South of the Border - down Mexico way."
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

quite simple Amigo you are south of the Rio Grande (River Boyne) therefore you are Mexicans .Welcome compadre :mexican:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Leinster 2011-12

Post by Rooster »

If it keeps you happy you can be a Mexican ladyboy
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ladyboy696969
Novice

Post by ladyboy696969 »

Thanks for the welcome's folks. So if we're the mexicans then munster must be Knackeragua! (Knacker is a common term for member of the traveling community (not commuters now) down here).
A perfect weekend for me would be Leinster winning, Ulster trashing those Munster hasbeens and paddy winning the masters in a playoff with rory.
Really hope you do it, then come down to Dublin and play Toulouse.
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

Thanks and welcome Ladyboy.

Good luck to Leinster this weekend, and start recommending some suitable Dublin drinking dens, as we will Definitely be playing Toulouse in the semis......... No doubt! :salut: :mexican:
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

ladyboy696969 wrote:Thanks for the welcome's folks. So if we're the mexicans then munster must be Knackeragua! (Knacker is a common term for member of the traveling community (not commuters now) down here).
A perfect weekend for me would be Leinster winning, Ulster trashing those Munster hasbeens and paddy winning the masters in a playoff with rory.
No, we'd be Brazil
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ladyboy696969 wrote:Thanks for the welcome's folks. So if we're the mexicans then munster must be Knackeragua! (Knacker is a common term for member of the traveling community (not commuters now) down here).
Only 2 posts and already managed to make a tool of himself. Ah well. :D

The fact you couldn't figure out the Mexico reference suggests you are either pretty young or well ya know.......

The Ulster Folk tend to refer to Munster as Turnipstan. That is so much nicer than your insulting, though somewhat witty, name.

That said I have used the knackeragua term myself when referencing certain areas of this fine city, not to mention some areas of The Black Pool.

Now away with you and enjoy Leinster's victory against Cardiff. Then you can enjoy a fantastic spectacle on Sunday afternoon. I just hope you won't get too upset if the Turnipstanis manage to defeat the chosen ones. :D

Anyway welcome to you. This place is great. Don't go trying to ruin that now will ya.

>TH >TH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.