Connacht V Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Connacht V Ulster

Post by kingofthehill »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:05 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:45 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:41 pm All in all, we do have the makings of a decent pack this year but of course injuries will be crucial and Irish call-ups. Having said that, we could have enough depth to make a decent showing.
In a few weeks you might see a pack of
SK
TS or RH
MM
IH
KT/AOC/HS
DW
NT
DMC

Looks good.
And at least half mainly Ulster born, then add in AW, Mrea. Progress
Who is DW?
DE sorry
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Tel
Novice

Post by Tel »

Many of the remarks on this site are frankly nonsense. It was a decent performance by a team that nothing was expected of. As usual a number of you have been slating Sexton. He played reasonably well and will improve this season if he’s given time. Hume is back to where he was before last season and cannot be that far from an Irish squad call up. Sheridan was excellent throughout as was McCann. This team age average was 23 and will improve. A little bit less of the continual negativity would be appreciated .
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Tel
About the first sensible post for some time

There ae re some who don't like Sexton I think its name association because a lot of it lacks logic although his defence at this level looks suspect but there could be a number of reasons for this --- such as playing AIL one week with little or no defence planning to playing professional occasionally where you are part of a various defensive plans marking different players at different times during the game.

Some fullbacks like Payne are very vocal telling their wings where to position themselves during the game others expect the wings to assume the correct position by the implementation of game plans not recognising that as soon as the action starts many plans are redundant .

Ie lack of game time causes mental confusion realising every error will be subject to critical review by both management and spectators.

McIlroy has been playing on the team off and on for 3 years personally I prefer him at full back rather than wing where his stop/ start style of running is more justified when running into contact since going into contact is deliberate and the means of setting up recycled ball , wings are expected to avoid contact to beat the player in front of them by speed or guile.

A make do pack will always struggle at the line out with random lifters and jumpers where the expected jumper soon becomes identified by positioning in the line or by motion .

Anyway back to Saturday the team performance exceed the expectation of most and some reputations were enhanced only time will tell if some can continue to develop.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Big-al wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:55 pm
So It Is wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:21 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:41 pm All in all, we do have the makings of a decent pack this year but of course injuries will be crucial and Irish call-ups. Having said that, we could have enough depth to make a decent showing.
Apart from Hendy (who never plays anyway) and one of Herring/Stewart, I don't think any of our pack will trouble the Irish squad atm, so keeping everyone fit is the biggest challenge.

With time Sheridan and McCann might force their way into the picture.
Tom o’toole obviously.

Don’t think Sheridan will make it as an international lock, he lacks size and genuine lineout ability, but may be an option as a 6. He could be this generations Roger Wilson.

McCann if he continues his form could well make the Irish squad within 12 months. He played Prendercast off the park last night. Made one big error with the offside, but if anything that’s on Doak. He’s too bloody slow at those box kicks. All he is doing is giving the opponent enough time to compose & prepare himself to contest a high ball.
Fair enough on TOT, had excluded him from my list due to his injury but he'll probably be fit again by the 6N.

McCann needs a full season of those types of performances to get a look in imo. With POM likely retired then I guess there is an opening, but you still have Doris, JVDF, Conan, Coombes, Prendergast, Penny, Connors (if he's ever fit again), Beirne (his best position imo) etc., all up for selection.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Big al

Sheridan has played little rugby as a professional -size players fill out in their mid twenties I expect him to be a better player in 18 months than now .

McCann his first 2 seasons looked similarly insignificant but 12 months of gym work and growth in mental attitude has worked wonders.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him called in to the tackle bag holder squad come the 6 nations for assessment.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Tel wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:08 am Many of the remarks on this site are frankly nonsense. It was a decent performance by a team that nothing was expected of. As usual a number of you have been slating Sexton. He played reasonably well and will improve this season if he’s given time. Hume is back to where he was before last season and cannot be that far from an Irish squad call up. Sheridan was excellent throughout as was McCann. This team age average was 23 and will improve. A little bit less of the continual negativity would be appreciated .
Alright Tel. Keep your hair on.

You do remember that, in your only other post on this site (on October 12), you stated that “As I see it this season is already lost”.

That was maybe a tad negative?

I mean, most of us actually wait until the season has started before we write it off.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:36 am
Big-al wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:07 am AOC is looking a shadow of his former self in his two games so far. He was very poor in the 2nd half last night, missed a lot of tackles and looked slow and lethargic in general.
Been saying it for years. An honest grafter and a nice guy but always gets found out (along with others) against the better teams. If we had have gotten another top 2nd row signing to go along with Ewers and Kitschoff we'd have the makings of a decent pack to build around. Hendo never there, Treadwell blows hot and cold and the rest either not high enough quality or raw.
Can't say I agree with this, to be honest. In terms of the two players mentioned, AOC has been an absolute workhorse for us since coming here. With the talent Ireland have in the position, he's unlikely to ever break into that squad, but the Connacht match was the first time I can ever recall him being off the pace. Always puts in a decent shift and the sort of player every squad needs.

Treadwell came across here from Quins as a 21 year old (i.e. younger than Sheridan) and played almost every match for us in his first couple of seasons. At the time, he earned an (unfair in my eyes) reputation for being soft on here, which some people are still clinging to on here in spite of the fact he's been one of our best players for the last couple of years. He made quite a few appearances for Ireland during the 6 nations (which in that position are caps hard won) and was unlucky to not make the world cup squad, likely losing out to the fact that Baird can also cover the back row.

Given a full deck to choose from, we'll have Henderson, Treadwell and Sheridan in our 23, two International caliber players and another, who if he continues his current trajectory may soon join them. Behind them, AOC is a very capable player ready to step into the breach, rarely putting a foot wrong. Behind him then we've a couple of youngsters, some people who know more about these things than I seem to rate and it'd be good for them to be able to get game time.

If there'd been any money left in the piggy bank, JTA or Lyttle are the two players from last year I'd have personally liked to see retained, but at the end of the day we've only got finite resources.

Has anyone heard any word on any of the injuries picked up against Connacht? The Connacht match actually has me feeling quite confident that we've the makings of a very competitive pack, but I'm slightly worried what sort of backline we'll be able to put out, from those left standing?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

One thing everyone who posts on the forum shares is a wish that Ulster do well, and I’m assuming most of us (I was a ST holder for 20+ years) put our hands in our pockets to do this as well. I try to make constructive posts, but equally I have no issue with some who feel the need to make more critical posts, they’re just as entitled to comment as anyone else, although I don’t like personal attacks, although I’ll admit that Billy has pushed me to limits on this when he rolls around in excruciating pain. No doubt last season was the worst in terms of inconsistency, so much effort to get so far, with big paydays lined up for three home quarter/semi/finals if we had won, with all the benefits that would have flowed from that for the club, and potentially for the players in a World Cup year, only for the players to simply not show up. We also went over to the Sale game, an expensive trip, and I have no issue at all with losing, if I see fight, but the last quarter of that game was awful, no spirit or pride, and that needs to be called out. PS, I refused to take the offered rebate for both Sale and Pichgate, told Bronagh that the club needs the dosh more than I do. I do think that last season might really have been a game changing season, and I see a different attitude this year, a ‘judge us on our performances on the pitch, rather than words’ attitude, and we’ll be there on Friday to gulder, SUFTUM
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Good post Marco.

I certainly was a non-believer when the team was announced on Friday. Super attitude from the lads in Galway, but that adds only a little credit into the bank after what was a shambles of a season last year on and off the pitch.

Recency bias needs to be acknoweldged here. I think we all need to see this backed up with another big performance against Munster (and a win please) before we can really start to think "This season its different."

Its been a good start to the season. I'm just cautious as we had a decent start last year before the wheels came off the wagon in spectatcular fashion in the 2nd half in Dublin in November 2022.

But the lads have it in them, no doubt. We just need Dan to ensure they show up with the same fire in their bellies each week.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Marco wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:11 am One thing everyone who posts on the forum shares is a wish that Ulster do well, and I’m assuming most of us (I was a ST holder for 20+ years) put our hands in our pockets to do this as well. I try to make constructive posts, but equally I have no issue with some who feel the need to make more critical posts, they’re just as entitled to comment as anyone else, although I don’t like personal attacks, although I’ll admit that Billy has pushed me to limits on this when he rolls around in excruciating pain. No doubt last season was the worst in terms of inconsistency, so much effort to get so far, with big paydays lined up for three home quarter/semi/finals if we had won, with all the benefits that would have flowed from that for the club, and potentially for the players in a World Cup year, only for the players to simply not show up. We also went over to the Sale game, an expensive trip, and I have no issue at all with losing, if I see fight, but the last quarter of that game was awful, no spirit or pride, and that needs to be called out. PS, I refused to take the offered rebate for both Sale and Pichgate, told Bronagh that the club needs the dosh more than I do. I do think that last season might really have been a game changing season, and I see a different attitude this year, a ‘judge us on our performances on the pitch, rather than words’ attitude, and we’ll be there on Friday to gulder, SUFTUM
+1. My issue has been by and large with the overall management and coaching. However some players are substandard and will not make it as substantial squad depth imo. Not everyone can be international standard and I wish they were, but equally UR has shown a lack of ruthlessness where the players themselves would also probably benefit from being moved on.
Exterminate all rational thought
jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

Over the last 20 years or so we have rarely had a squad free of passengers. Far too often we have had great players supported by decent triers without the bit of stardust that elevates them to that special status. However the layer below these is littered with injured has beens, injured never were's and a whole army of poor shirt fillers. Some of our signings are frankly jaw droppingly dreadful. Add in to this mix the fact that our Academy seems to be a place where talent goes to die. Our history of turning highly talented players into even fringe Irish players is embarrassing. There seems to be a sort of "Ach that'll do,maybe no one will notice."
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jacothelad wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:00 pm Over the last 20 years or so we have rarely had a squad free of passengers. Far too often we have had great players supported by decent triers without the bit of stardust that elevates them to that special status. However the layer below these is littered with injured has beens, injured never were's and a whole army of poor shirt fillers. Some of our signings are frankly jaw droppingly dreadful. Add in to this mix the fact that our Academy seems to be a place where talent goes to die. Our history of turning highly talented players into even fringe Irish players is embarrassing. There seems to be a sort of "Ach that'll do,maybe no one will notice."
Notice what?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right