Idiots at the game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Idiots at the game

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

I have heard reports of some Munster "fans" threatening Ulster fans at Thomond yesterday, indeed I saw some idiot myself threatening some Ulster fans in the 200 section. I hope these were isolated incidents at that you all enjoyed your trip to Limerick.
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Idiots at the game

Post by damianmcr »

Never seen any myself. I was standing beside a lad who just left his pints on the terrace and give off some amount when a munster fan accidentally knocked one over and wouldnt buy him another. His own fault really!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Saw some very frustrated looking fans. Which is understandable. The last two times I've been in Thomond I've witnessed first hand threatening behaviour, none this time though. It is sad to see but there are idiots everywhere and it's tough to get beaten in a big game by your provincial rivals. Not made any easier by Ulstermen literally dancing in your ground. 13 years of hurt.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dogsd139
Novice

Post by Dogsd139 »

I was well impressed with the Munster fans (and the ground). You'll always get a few fools... Saw a few myself on route to Thormond draped in union flags and singing GSTQ...
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Interesting you mention Mack. First time to Thomond Park and had a great day all round! For the most part found the fans to be grand, there was a great bunch directly in front who got into the spirit of things but I have to say there were quite a few unsavouries around and it was definitely the 1st rugby match I have been at where there was a hostile element to it all. There was one particular episode during the 1st half when during a break of play we were Standing Up for the Ulstermen (literally) and the lady (I use that phrase loosely) pulled my mate by the shoulder and the fella beside her snarled at him and told him "I havent paid f**king money for this ticket to watch the back of you head". We were absolutely astounded, we didnt react and just reminded them that we were all here to enjoy the match and there was no offence intended. We had just scored and it definitley took the wind out of our sails as we were all a bit shocked at the aggression that they displayed. We only stood up during breaks in play and sat back down before play started again. In fairness at half time they apologised and muttered something about the frustration they were feeling at that stage with what was happening on the pitch. Interesting that they did that on the back of 10 points when things were looking a little rosier. In my personal opinion having travelled all over these isles to watch Ulster overall it was the least welcoming environment/atmosphere I have experienced.

However, it happens and it certainly was the minority I am sure. To be honest it was very very clear that the folks of Munster dont like or struggle to take bit of a beating. That attitude has got you to the echelons of rugby that you have achieved and the determination whilst in vain for 60 mins was a credit to the team and the fans.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Asked by a Munsterman of our chances, I tactfully said that they were as good as they will ever be given your recent form .He replied "I know your a handy enough side but you have to remember where you are and who you are playing" - No brad pitt Sherlock i replied :lol: We might have went to Milan and got stuffed by Aironi :lol: He was not a happy Turnip :twisted:
That was about as idiotic as it got :lol:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Have been to Limerick on a number of occasions and each time I have been threatened by ONE person, but the overwhelming majority of people have been decent and friendly.

Yesterday's little set-to was very trivial, funny even, and over in an instant - unlike the last time I was down which could have been more serious but for the intervention of some Munster fans restraining one of their own - something I was very grateful for :salut:

My crime? I had entered the loo unaccompanied and was wearing an Ulster shirt. :roll:

Sure aren't there morons in every part of the world, and I'm not going to condemn Limerick for a tiny number of incidents that could equally have happened in Belfast.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Sure aren't there morons in every part of the world, and I'm not going to condemn Limerick for a tiny number of incidents that could equally have happened in Belfast.
Probably a few morons down with us as well Grumps :(
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

On previous visits I have been asked if Billy Wright was my Da, How many catholics I have killed and the old "when does an Irishman wink at an Ulsterman?" as a pretend rifle is risen to the firing position :lol: These guys are a gas but dont like it back-ah well its as well we are thick skinned and quick at the counter rucking :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Have been to Limerick on a number of occasions and each time I have been threatened by ONE person
Try and avoid him next time Cap'n :wink:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Thought their fans were great! Approached by so many after the game congratulating us and wishing Ulster every success in the rest of the competition. I remember a number of Munster fans saying to me (to quote) "Beat those Leinster Bast*rds for us!!" :drunken:
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Have been to Limerick on a number of occasions and each time I have been threatened by ONE person
Try and avoid him next time Cap'n :wink:
:lol:
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

One Munster fan I was chatting to didnt rate Leinster at all!!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and well wishing for the semi although one guy did get a bit mouthy when TOL came on...

First visit to Limerick, very nice people, very nice city (minus all the flags :lol: ) will hopefully be back :D
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

damianmcr wrote:One Munster fan I was chatting to didnt rate Leinster at all!!
You found the right thread then :lol: