Leinster thread 2010/11

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cormac
Initiate

Leinster thread 2010/11

Post by Cormac »

First squad of the season announced by Leinster for the friendly against Wasps in Donnybrook this Friday.

Forwards: McGrath, vd Merwe, Wright, Ross, Harris-Wright, Strauss, Toner, Hogan, Marshall, Sheriff, Ryan P, Ryan D, O'Brien.
Backs; Boss, O'Donohoe, McKinley, Madigan, McFadden, O'Malley, Sheridan, Fitzgerald, Kearney D, Morris, Nacewa, Keating.

If Wasps bring over a first choice squad, it could be a testing evening for that selection.

It's encouraging to see some of the players with long-term injuries (Fitzgerald, O'Brien, Toner and McKinley) back in the squad and presumably fighting fit. Fitzgerald will need some good early-season performances to get himself back in the frame for an Irish jersey after both Earls and Trimble did well in his absence last season. We're still desperately short of options at hooker, it seems to be a position we're struggling to develop talent in. From what I've seen of him so far (not that much admittedly) Harris-Wright is well off the pace, even by ML standards.

Possible line-up; 15 Nacewa, 14 Kearney D, 13 McFadden, 12 O'Malley, 11 Fitzgerald, 10 McKinley, 9 Boss; 1 vd Merwe, 2 Strauss, 3 Wright, 4 Toner, 5 Hogan, 6 Sheriff, 7 Ryan P, 8 O'Brien.
Cormac
Initiate

Re: Leinster thread 2010/11

Post by Cormac »

Leinster HEC pool match against Clermont on 18 Dec will also be played at Lansdowne Road.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Good to see Fitzgerald back fit, he was out for a heck of a long time last year.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Have Leinster moved Mr Ed to the backline? :scratch:
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

colind wrote:Have Leinster moved Mr Ed to the backline? :scratch:
That's Paul O'Donohoe, the scrum-half. Mr Ed would be on the same training schedule as the rest of the internationals, having gone on the summer tour, so isn't available to make his debut yet. Shame for him, as with Leo Cullen out for the first few months of the season, he has a real chance to stake a claim in the starting XV for the big games.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

colind wrote:Have Leinster moved Mr Ed to the backline? :scratch:
I'd say that's Paul O'Donohoe.. :)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Thanks guys. I didn't realise they had two O'Ds in the squad. :oops:
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Couple of pieces of info. Leinster have announced the short-term signing of Argentine lock Mariano Galarza as cover for Leo Cullen and Kevin McLaughlin who will miss most of the first half of the season. 23yrs old, 6'8", 112kg.

Also the team to start against Wasps has been announced: 15 Fitzgerald, 14 Kearney D, 13 O'Malley, 12 Sheridan, 11 Nacewa, 10 Madigan, 9 O'Donohoe; 1 vd Merwe, 2 Strauss, 3 Ross, 4 Hogan, 5 Toner, 6 Sheriff, 7 Ryan P, 8 O'Brien.
Subs; 16 Harris-Wright, 17 McGrath, 18 Wright, 19 Galarza, 20 Ryan D, 21 Boss, 22 McKinley, 23 McFadden, 24 Marshall, 25 Keating, 26 Morris.

LONDON WASPS:

15: Jack Wallace
14: Richard Haughton
13: Ben Jacobs
12: Dom Waldouck
11: Tom Varndell
10: Dave Walder
9: Nic Berry

1: Zak Taulafo
2: Tom Lindsay
3: Phil Vickery
4: Marty Veale
5: Richard Birkett
6: Will Matthews
7: Serge Betsen
8: John Hart

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Rob Webber
17: Tim Payne
18: Ben Broster
19: James Cannon
20: Tom Rees
21: Joe Simpson
22: Riki Flutey
23: Christian Wade
24: Simon Shaw
25: Sam Jones
26: Elliot Daly
27: Mark Van Gisbergen.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Leinster 6 Wasps 41
6 trys for Wasps.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Rooster wrote:Leinster 6 Wasps 41
6 trys for Wasps.
Ouch.. That'll smart a bit.. Munster just beaten at home by Leicester as well..

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Romeo47 Alpha 52
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

I have to say that it made me feel good to see the results for leinster/Munster tonight. Felt a bit for Issac (Paul O’Donohoe replaced by Isaac Boss, half-time). Does this mean he is 3rd choice in the BLUE behind Reddan & O'Donohoe. Anyway having seen Wasps last season it makes me think that Bath where very much a harder job for Ulster. Lets hope we can improve tomorrow afternoon and stay within 10 - 14 pts of Quinns. Will be more than happy if we do!!!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

We're still desperately short of options at hooker
Cormac, did I not read that one of ur hookers performed well in this game, was it Strauss?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I would say if thats true they will probably bring a proven NIQ prop instead of putting faith in the youngsters.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

cjp wrote:I would say if thats true they will probably bring a proven NIQ prop instead of putting faith in the youngsters.
i think they're already talking about that - this would leave them with just Ross, van der Merwe and McCormack on full contracts and Jack McGrath on a DC until Healy comes back. They have Maguire and O'Connell in the academy who apparently are well thought-of, but not sure whether they'd be in a position to step up to the first team (they're both just 20, although Maguire in particular is absolutely mammoth, 6'5" and 21 stone if his profile's to be believed..)