Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jetstream
Steward

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Jetstream »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:31 pm It's just embarrassing now how guff ulster are from top to bottom. Lost cause.
An utter mess. It has become so disheartening following Ulster at all levels.
I had hoped to travel to the Bath match in December. Thank I will go to a Pantomime instead. Same difference.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jetstream wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:19 pm
HammerTime wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:31 pm It's just embarrassing now how guff ulster are from top to bottom. Lost cause.
I had hoped to travel to the Bath match in December. Thank I will go to a Pantomime instead. Same difference.
The women are worse. I'd rather we spent money on non grammar school pathways/ investment in academies/ good coaching staff at all levels/ etc than spunk a million up the wall on a couple of NIQs for no tangible outcome after 2-3 seasons.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

FYI both teams missing players for irish u18 development games.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My problem with woman and rugby is the demand for equal status and funding. Why because the "mens game" has spent over a hundred years investing money in the game -- creating clubs - providing grounds and facilities. Woman now claim they have a right to those facilities and drain funding from the mans game because I doubt greatly if any female competion is profitable remembering that most of the mens game was for years amateur and non money making relying on funds and loans from the IRFU and bar profits to repay those loans.
I have no objections to woman playing the game but why did they not create their own Union rather than sneak in the side entrance of the existing mens Union and disrupt an existing body --- men have never wanted to join the Mothers Union and personally I don't trust men who want to use Ladies toilets .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Isnt it strange that the U18 Schools team are all mainly from the 'top 6 schools,' yet other excellent players from regional schools are forced to play U18 Clubs, despite being brought through the schools system! Meaning boys put through the club system are missing out on selection...

BTW I have no skin in this game, just an observation...
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

nonplussed wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:28 am
Isnt it strange that the U18 Schools team are all mainly from the 'top 6 schools,' yet other excellent players from regional schools are forced to play U18 Clubs, despite being brought through the schools system! Meaning boys put through the club system are missing out on selection...

It means that all the best players get opportunities.
If a club player is good enough they will play
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

The Ireland u18 team was captained by ulster back row Thomas Dougan
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

ljsulster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:05 am
nonplussed wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:28 am

It means that all the best players get opportunities.
If a club player is good enough they will play
the school you attend should have no bearing on whether are good enough...
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The fact is that the top six schools have possible the best coaches thus players from those schools are more skilled and fitter than boys from other schools -
The only way a boy in a lesser rugby school obtains a similar grounding is possible by joining a club and makes the grade as a club player and is recognised as such .

The other fortunate or unfortunate truth is that rugby is a social game where those from a different social status find it harder to integrate into the group this can be especially true for teenagers.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I amreally quite surprised by the tone of this article. It seems that people do care about youth rugby certainly more than the Ulster Branch PRO department who seem to have ignored these games. No mention that the Schools under 18 are taking the field again on Wednesday at Donnybrook. Leinster schools have been away on tour so their preparedness is probably ahead of Ulster.
This reluctance to advertise these games could be because of the home matches being played on the artificial pitch at Newforge which is not very spectator friendly.
Perhaps if the games were put out to the clubs it would generate more interest across the province and maybe even generate some revenue for the clubs or schools involved.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

ljsulster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:05 am The Ireland u18 team was captained by ulster back row Thomas Dougan
It is promoted as a development squad? Would these be the top pick of the u18s or 2nd pick A.K.A Ireland u18s schools and clubs.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Big-al wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:10 pm
ljsulster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:05 am The Ireland u18 team was captained by ulster back row Thomas Dougan
It is promoted as a development squad? Would these be the top pick of the u18s or 2nd pick A.K.A Ireland u18s schools and clubs.
not the top picks from Leinster.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

"Since 2007 the IRFU has hosted upwards of 250 internationals across all grades, 3 have been played in Northern Ireland, where 30% of the population of the island live. We're meant to be an all island team.
That is an indefensible statistic for the IRFU"

From Planet Rugby Forum.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

(15-9) Ben McFarlane, Lukas Kenny, James Girvan, Ben Gibson, Ethan Graham, Zach Quirke, Ryan Davis

(1-8) Jack Boal, Henry Walker, Cameron Doak, James McKillop, Mark Lee, Bryn Ward, Josh Stevens, Lorcan McLaughlin

Replacements: Zac Solomon, Jacob Boyd, Flynn Longstaff, Scott Craig, Conor Neary, Adam Montgomery, James Humphreys, Rory Ellerby, Henry Boyle, Josh Eagleson
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

What is that team for?