Ulster's Squad - money being wasted?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster's Squad - money being wasted?

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:26 pm Very little to see here lads.

The Ulster squad is of standard size.

Due to a combination of a reasonably short injury list, limited international calls, the random Emerging Ireland tour to SA and the fact that the league has become so competitive, we’ve understandably stuck to a pretty settled side and achieved results enviable to all bar Leinster.

Indeed, when Dan widens the selection panel a little he gets accused of not knowing what he’s doing.

The half decent point at risk of being lost amongst the nonsense, notwithstanding any of the above, is Flannery’s lack of game time.

He seems to have been taken off against Zebre so we could entertain a 6 2 split on the bench in Europe but I’m not sure that 20 minutes for Doak at 10 would make much difference on that score.

We’ve got the Dragons coming to Belfast tomorrow. They’re dung. Whilst we want the five points, I’d like to think (or know) that we could get them with Flannery at 10.

If Munster don’t get a result (that’s the Munster who are in grave danger of missing out on the Champions Cup for those who think we’re mediocre….), then maybe we’ll see Flannery v Edinburgh (that’s the Edinburgh with loads of Scottish internationals that we’re 26 points ahead of…)
and achieved results enviable to all bar Leinster.

It's hard to imagine you typed this with a straight face. :lol:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Flannery is working at the Ulster crèche with Jones.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

thecrouch wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:45 pm and achieved results enviable to all bar Leinster.

It's hard to imagine you typed this with a straight face. :lol:
It's a slight exaggeration, but not too far wide of the mark. The Premiership is an absolute brad pitt show at the minute and while there's a chasm between us and Leinster, the vast majority of teams in the league are still below us.

Much as Leinster are the target of where we want to be, the likes of Munster are probably a fairer comparison by which to measure relative progress, both in terms of senior success and underage represenation. Over the last decade or so we've probably been of a reasonably similar standard.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm envious of other teams being envious of us.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

How is Ben Moxham not on that list?!?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Squad is brad pitt full of sick notes and whilst an attritional game our sick notes seemed to be rewarded with either extended and/or new contracts.

Addison a prime example potentially a very good player but one who came with a history of unavailability which at 100k a year for 5 games a year needs examined not extended..

Jones we are told is better on the training ground than in a match and Carter another top earner is at best fourth choice lock.. the fact that we can’t find any local and have to hold onto him is for me
Another example of no production line ..

I like Bryan’s comparison to the pizza order man but he also claims to be head buck cat in charge of all brad pitt that we seem to accept as norm.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Cockatrice wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:47 pm Squad is brad pitt full of sick notes and whilst an attritional game our sick notes seemed to be rewarded with either extended and/or new contracts.

Addison a prime example potentially a very good player but one who came with a history of unavailability which at 100k a year for 5 games a year needs examined not extended..

Jones we are told is better on the training ground than in a match and Carter another top earner is at best fourth choice lock.. the fact that we can’t find any local and have to hold onto him is for me

I like Bryan’s comparison to the pizza order man but he also claims to be head buck cat in charge of all brad pitt that we seem to accept as norm.
Yes, we are not ruthless enough. No harm to the guy, but players like Jones shouldn’t be allowed to hang around the club. If you’re not good enough you move on.

Players need to know that if you want a pro contract at ulster, and all the benefits of being a pro rugby player at ulster, you need to earn it on the field.

Our approach to this is totally wrong and a large part of our cultural problems.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

thecrouch wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:47 pm Squad is brad pitt full of sick notes and whilst an attritional game our sick notes seemed to be rewarded with either extended and/or new contracts.

Yes, we are not ruthless enough. No harm to the guy, but players like Jones shouldn’t be allowed to hang around the club. If you’re not good enough you move on.

Players need to know that if you want a pro contract at ulster, and all the benefits of being a pro rugby player at ulster, you need to earn it on the field.

Our approach to this is totally wrong and a large part of our cultural problems.
Who is knocking Jones out of the squad?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

Someone with a GNVQ in childcare.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:05 pm

The next cab off the rank. Jones has barely featured for us, his minutes could easily go to some academy player with potential.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:09 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:

Someone with a GNVQ in childcare.
Short of a few babysitters in Belfast by the look of things after the final whistle.

Maybe Jones had the night off?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

thecrouch wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:46 pm

The next cab off the rank. Jones has barely featured for us, his minutes could easily go to some academy player with potential.
He hasn't prevented that. Sheridan in the academy has come through and gotten game time in Jones position.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

:o
UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:18 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:46 pm

He has prevented that. Sheridan in the academy has come through and gotten game time in Jones position.
Well exactly.

Dan has done an excellent job of introducing the kids when the time was right.

Wasn’t long ago that they used to get one cap and never be seen again.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 40097.html

Behind a paywall. Does anyone have a copy of full story?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:49 pm https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 40097.html

Behind a paywall. Does anyone have a copy of full story?
Written by your man Fanning, he loves taking pot shots at Ulster....