Leinster VS Ulster HC QF 01/04/23

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

Re: Leinster VS Ulster HC QF 01/04/23

Post by paddybrown »

thecrouch wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:17 am It’s time for McFarland to go IMO. He’s taken us as far as he can.
Disagree. I call it the "Wenger out syndrome" - an unfortunate import from the round ball game, the idea that we'd be perfect if it wasn't for the manager holding us back, and we get rid of him everything will be grand.

I think Dan has us punching above our weight. He has a better win percentage than under any other coach in the professional era except Mark Anscombe and Alan Solomons - and the standard of rugby in the competitions we play in is higher than in their days. Fact is, we don't have the squad to challenge Leinster, but we're better than any other team in Ireland, and all four Irish teams are in the top half of the table in the URC.

According to RTE, Leinster used 60 players last season, Munster 59, and Ulster and Connacht 46. In terms of playing resources, we're on a level with Connacht, and well behind both Leinster and Munster - but we're well ahead of Connacht on the pitch, and we're also ahead of Munster, who are up there with Leinster in terms of playing resources, and get more players into the Ireland team than we do. We're the only team in the URC to have a clean sweep of wins against South African opposition. We generally put up a good showing against the top teams from France and England, and usually beat them at home at least. We're a good side, and when things aren't going as well as we would like it's good to remember that.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Ulster did very well considering what they were up against.The conditions did not help and ruled out expansive rugby.
I thought the atmosphere was good in the stadium and your fans gave a good account of themselves.
Leinster fans are kind of reserved and lack a bit of the passion of the other provinces. Maybe it is the product of the somewhat privileged south side of Dublin that many of us come from.
At the moment we have the ridiculous situation that the Leinster team, aka Ireland largely, are near enough to being the number 1 side in world rugby.
I don't think that this can last but if it gets the Champions Cup in May and a place in the final in the RWC in October then I, for one, will be happy enough.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Would be a cracking post Paddy if Arsenal weren’t 8 points clear at the top of the Prem!
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Only five seasons after Wenger left.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:58 am
paddybrown wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:38 am 8. Why the awful yellow Jersey? We play in white, Leinster blue. No clash. End of.
It's our Heineken Cup kit. Not sure why we switched from red, but we did. With the number of yellow flags being handed out, I wonder are they preparing us for a first choice yellow kit next season? The Ulster provincial flag is yellow, and Ulster play in yellow in the GAA, so maybe they're going for consistent branding. Of course, that would mean Munster switching to blue, Connacht to white, and Leinster to green, making them the Ireland team in colours as well as players.
I know it is, and its awful. Its an obvious sop. Weve always played in white with Red away if theres a clash. We're not Ulster GAA. Rugby is supposed to be all island/ all communities sport. We're not GAA nor the OO.
I agree that we should be playing in white ( ideally all white with a :red: ) but if money dictates we have an alternative strip, this is the best one yet.

BTW what's with wearing blue Ulster tops to a Leinster game. :scratch: There was enough blue in the Aviva without adding to it. Saw quite a few, mainly the young crowd.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

allezlesverres wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:15 am Really can't understand all the gurning. Ulster did really really well. That was a good performance. We were playing against Ireland at home. It's not exaggerating to say leinster would have been favourites against the all blacks (they would, ireland are well ahead in the world rankings). I know some dislike a plucky defeat but that was as good as we could hope for.

The aviva was buzzing it was better than most test matches, and the supporters I met from both sides were great craic.

Let's be honest we shouldn't have qualified for the knockout stages. Against that background we gave a good account of ourselves
Fair.

Tigers will be "tanked". Only Leinster will beat Leinster imo.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:38 am 8. Why the awful yellow Jersey? We play in white, Leinster blue. No clash. End of.
It's our Heineken Cup kit. Not sure why we switched from red, but we did. With the number of yellow flags being handed out, I wonder are they preparing us for a first choice yellow kit next season? The Ulster provincial flag is yellow, and Ulster play in yellow in the GAA, so maybe they're going for consistent branding. Of course, that would mean Munster switching to blue, Connacht to white, and Leinster to green, making them the Ireland team in colours as well as players.
I know it is, and its awful. Its an obvious sop. Weve always played in white with Red away if theres a clash. We're not Ulster GAA. Rugby is supposed to be all island/ all communities sport. We're not GAA nor the OO.
I agree that we should be playing in white ( ideally all white with a :red: ) but if money dictates we have an alternative strip, this is the best one yet.

BTW what's with wearing blue Ulster tops to a Leinster game. :scratch: There was enough blue in the Aviva without adding to it. Saw quite a few, mainly the young crowd.
Fashion statement from Gen Z and the influencers ffs
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:48 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:13 pm
Found myself apologising to them for the cretinous behaviour of the Ulster supporter sitting ahead of us for his continuous foul mouthed ill informed rant ( Scottish accent ironically?) in the hearing of young children and ladies. Even his mates seemed embarrassed. Block 332, row F I think, UR jacket and cap with incorporated false white hair wig. Sixties? If anyone knows this guy would they have a word? Altho I hope he is not one of us on the forum.
I was ashamed. On the verge of getting a steward to throw him out.
Might have been alcohol induced but no excuse.
Any volunteers to own up? And sod off……..
Correct - no excuse.

Every team has them - even Ulster

Just some teams seem to have a lot more of them.

Yeah, shouting loudly at Leinster players that they are “ f***ing Mexicans “ is unlikely to endear you to your hosts fans sitting with their families in their own stadium!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Met a couple of ballbegs who didn't realise they were supporting 9 counties and were amazed that I could name the team 1-23 :roll: . Other than that, one of my better away experiences. Never seen the Horse Show so bunged - god knows how many safety regs were breached? Actually lost my daughter in there and had to phone her :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:25 pm Met a couple of ballbegs who didn't realise they were supporting 9 counties and were amazed that I could name the team 1-23 :roll: . Other than that, one of my better away experiences. Never seen the Horse Show so bunged - god knows how many safety regs were breached? Actually lost my daughter in there and had to phone her :lol:
D4 wine bars were empty
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Put the average home crowds of Ulster and Leinster together and you'd probably get around 30,000. Aviva was close to capacity yesterday. These big games attract a lot of casual supporters, so it's unsurprising that amongst the blow-ins, you get a few bell-ends on both sides. We had a great day, met some very friendly Leinster fans, didn't experience any problems at all. Ulster fans on the train were also great crack.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 am

Not allowed to put a white gansey over my hoody any more.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
d4surfer
Novice

Post by d4surfer »

BR wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:53 pm
Not allowed to put a white gansey over my hoody any more.
Not a great for those with a fuller figure.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

promenader 2 wrote:Put the average home crowds of Ulster and Leinster together and you'd probably get around 30,000. Aviva was close to capacity yesterday. These big games attract a lot of casual supporters, so it's unsurprising that amongst the blow-ins, you get a few bell-ends on both sides. We had a great day, met some very friendly Leinster fans, didn't experience any problems at all. Ulster fans on the train were also great crack.
It's a remarkable aspect of the entire sport that segregation is never required.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

They are a cut above....but we were also fairly brad pitt