Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:55 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:22 pm
That was how I read it too Merv. No arms involved in the tackle, but the ref and other officials were more concerned with the grounding and whether Lowe was in touch at any stage.

I wonder would they have considered the tackle if they concluded that Lowe had brushed the grass in touch before grounding?

Ref's though are less inclined to award penalty tries when the players have succeeded in scoring for themselves, but that still potentially penalises the attacking team by making for a difficult conversion rather than an automatic 7 pointer.
Yellow card as a matter of fact also, disappointed you've missed that Grumps :D
Yer not disappointed at all, and I didn't miss it. Once the ref has decided it's foul play, that part is a no brainer. >EW

The bit I was referring to is when ref's take the easy option of giving the try just because the player has managed to ground the ball despite foul play, and not giving the penalty try sanction the foul play deserves.
Dave wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:56 pm There is also a jump the tackle argument.

Or you can't tackle the player in the air argument.
There's no jumping the tackle argument. Jumping the tackle (as it's often referred to) involves putting the ball carrier's feet and/or knees where the tackler is expected to make contact and is dangerous play.

Lowe was diving for the line, not jumping over a tackle. There is no danger to the tackler in that action. It makes a legal tackle more difficult, but doesn't endanger him. Paul Steinmetz could show how it's done legally.
I didn't think that it was. I just think there should be more arguments.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave, don't annoy Grumps, he's on edge because he missed the yellow card, accused himself of being a no brainer (he who does not have a brain).
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

It gives me great pleasure to say Engerland are almost as bad a rugby team as Italy. :cheers:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Fair play to England, going by the excitement of the ITV pundits they must have won the Webb Ellis Trophy!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

StandUp wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:43 pm It gives me great pleasure to say Engerland are almost as bad a rugby team as Italy. :cheers:
Personal highlight was Sinclair taking a boot to his face from one of his own.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

HammerTime wrote:Two games in and how many tackles has Ringrose missed? Must be near double figures. Any non-Leinster man would be getting lambasted. Not a peep.
Ringrose has missed 4 times the amount of tackles that Stu has (8-2). Granted he has played more minutes but those stats would see McCloskey dropped.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Dave, don't annoy Grumps, he's on edge because he missed the yellow card, accused himself of being a no brainer (he who does not have a brain).
Captain Annoyed wouldn't see himself getting Grumpy over the head of a big miss like that.

Grumpy out.
Last edited by Dave on Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Godots bedpan
Novice

Post by Godots bedpan »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:19 pm
HammerTime wrote:Two games in and how many tackles has Ringrose missed? Must be near double figures. Any non-Leinster man would be getting lambasted. Not a peep.
Ringrose has missed 4 times the amount of tackles that Stu has (8-2). Granted he has played more minutes but those stats would see McCloskey dropped.
That is because it looks like Ringrose being tasked to shoot up and try to turn players back in to the heavy traffic rather than give them the opportunity to get to the edge
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Godots bedpan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:25 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:19 pm
That is because it looks like Ringrose being tasked to shoot up and try to turn players back in to the heavy traffic rather than give them the opportunity to get to the edge
Agreed. That appears to be the tactic. Effective if the defensive line are all on the same page.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Call that a no arms tackle? This is a no arms tackle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtYc-PPCCE
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:20 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:55 pm
Yer not disappointed at all, and I didn't miss it. Once the ref has decided it's foul play, that part is a no brainer. >EW

The bit I was referring to is when ref's take the easy option of giving the try just because the player has managed to ground the ball despite foul play, and not giving the penalty try sanction the foul play deserves.
Dave wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:56 pm There is also a jump the tackle argument.

Or you can't tackle the player in the air argument.
There's no jumping the tackle argument. Jumping the tackle (as it's often referred to) involves putting the ball carrier's feet and/or knees where the tackler is expected to make contact and is dangerous play.

Lowe was diving for the line, not jumping over a tackle. There is no danger to the tackler in that action. It makes a legal tackle more difficult, but doesn't endanger him. Paul Steinmetz could show how it's done legally.
I didn't think that it was. I just think there should be more arguments.
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:38 pm Dave, don't annoy Grumps, he's on edge because he missed the yellow card, accused himself of being a no brainer (he who does not have a brain).
Big argument

Big argument

It's annoying we can't even have big fights anymore - cameras everywhere so even if the ref misses something, the TMO and/or citing commissioner intervene. Rugby ain't what it used to be - a bit like nostalgia. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:39 am Call that a no arms tackle? This is a no arms tackle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtYc-PPCCE
You hardly need to go to the TMO for Liam.

Not sure what AWJ was mouthing about there.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

lowe try

Was Lowe diving to score or jumping to avoid the tackle?

Was the tackler trying to push him into touch or guilty of an no arm tackle?

No where in the laws does it define what is a push ie a push maybe made with the hands, shoulder, or body,?

The only time i consider such an incident worthy of TMO review is a head tackle situation such as Kearney on Jackson

Where of course the laws of the don't apply because the offender plays for Leinster.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sexton of course is the Master of milking a high tackle but Ringrose is his pupil

Accidental Head contact with Hume --- reported by Ringrose to the Referee ( an illegal act under the laws of the game ) Hume gets carded and HIA --- Ringrose plays on

Leinster are full of "milking cheats " win at all costs rugby .
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Irish back three are possibly the best at defending a high ball -- but flaky when the opposition run the ball back -- and with a limited potential to score unless unopposed inside the opposition 22