Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Post by StandUp »

That was a golden opportunity to reinstate some confidence back in to the squad. Stormers were poor but you can only play what’s in front of you.
Were we perfect? No, but better than recent weeks.
All in all, that was exactly what we needed. The guys got to stretch their legs in some space, and were enjoying rugby again.
We’re back in business again. From here until the end of the season I just want to see desire and commitment from the lads, and see them give everything. If we don’t win anything then so be it, but I want belief back in the squad which can be carried into next season. With Marty back at some point, along with Kitshoff and big Dave, we will have a strong pack. Hopefully Cooney re-signs. Izzy and Marcus back in the fold. Hopefully a contract for JTA.
I hate to admit it but Ferris made a very good point re. Jeff. He would be a brilliant guy to have around the squad. Positive, funny and hard working. I can imagine he brings some sunshine to training.
Onwards and upwards.
SUFTUM
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Well that was fun! I have to be careful because I was at the match and had a few sherbets, and so you can sometimes get a bit of a skewed perspective - I should really watch it back - but one of my main thoughts was that Sheridan is exceptional.. he’s kind of like Hendy in that he doesn’t have the big disco muscles, but he is seriously strong. I saw him early on set himself and put a big shot on Roos and stopped him dead, and so was watching him from then on - and in defence and attack I don’t think I saw him go backwards once. I love him as a 6 - makes those big tackles, and is good for those ugly carries for 1 yard which are so key to momentum in phase play. I was also really impressed by Stewart - his pace off the line in defence is superb.

Great to see Hume back firing shots, smashing performance by Moore inside him, obviously JTA deserves the plaudits - and a word for Moxham, who I confess is someone I haven’t really ‘got’ so far, but I thought he was excellent, great finish and excellent assist on Lowry’s try, delaying the pass until the last second. And defensively he’s superb with the reads and the hits

And of course it’s not stormers strongest side etc etc, but that’s the first time I’ve seen ulster really playing ball for about 3 months.. I was thinking before the match that ulster needed to be giving that side a proper hoking and that’s what they did. And I’ve been very critical of our defence and attack in the last while but both were absolutely bang-on tonight in fairness - in fact I have rarely seen such overwhelming defensive dominance in a URC match, we could easily have nilled them..

Class performance, now we need to keep following it up!!
..one more thing
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I forgot to mention Sheridan. If he keeps up this kind of performance he could very quickly become undroppable. Go get em Harry!!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Columbo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 pm Well that was fun! I have to be careful because I was at the match and had a few sherbets, and so you can sometimes get a bit of a skewed perspective - I should really watch it back - but one of my main thoughts was that Sheridan is exceptional.. he’s kind of like Hendy in that he doesn’t have the big disco muscles, but he is seriously strong. I saw him early on set himself and put a big shot on Roos and stopped him dead, and so was watching him from then on - and in defence and attack I don’t think I saw him go backwards once. I love him as a 6 - makes those big tackles, and is good for those ugly carries for 1 yard which are so key to momentum in phase play. I was also really impressed by Stewart - his pace off the line in defence is superb.

Great to see Hume back firing shots, smashing performance by Moore inside him, obviously JTA deserves the plaudits - and a word for Moxham, who I confess is someone I haven’t really ‘got’ so far, but I thought he was excellent, great finish and excellent assist on Lowry’s try, delaying the pass until the last second. And defensively he’s superb with the reads and the hits

And of course it’s not stormers strongest side etc etc, but that’s the first time I’ve seen ulster really playing ball for about 3 months.. I was thinking before the match that ulster needed to be giving that side a proper hoking and that’s what they did. And I’ve been very critical of our defence and attack in the last while but both were absolutely bang-on tonight in fairness - in fact I have rarely seen such overwhelming defensive dominance in a URC match, we could easily have nilled them..

I’m relatively sober and I agree with all of the above.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:04 am
Columbo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 pm Well that was fun! I have to be careful because I was at the match and had a few sherbets, and so you can sometimes get a bit of a skewed perspective - I should really watch it back - but one of my main thoughts was that Sheridan is exceptional.. he’s kind of like Hendy in that he doesn’t have the big disco muscles, but he is seriously strong. I saw him early on set himself and put a big shot on Roos and stopped him dead, and so was watching him from then on - and in defence and attack I don’t think I saw him go backwards once. I love him as a 6 - makes those big tackles, and is good for those ugly carries for 1 yard which are so key to momentum in phase play. I was also really impressed by Stewart - his pace off the line in defence is superb.

I’m relatively sober and I agree with all of the above.
I'm completely sober and it's :thumleft: from me too.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Stormers are away at the Sharks and the Bulls next.

Have to go to Dublin yet an’ all.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Got some insight tonight as to what has potentially been affecting the Ulster performance of late. Apparently the players don’t like the crowd shouting as this puts them off their concentration!! This was revealed when Gavin Andrews interviewed Craig Gilroy at half-time. Gilroy had his socks pulled up to his knees (on account of the cold) which attracted a few shouted comments from the Promenaders (tis the Ulster Way). Lo and behold after the interview Andrews and Gilroy came over to berate some in the crowd saying that such shouting (of benign comments) made it ‘very difficult to concentrate’ and ‘it may just seem like banter to you but it makes the job all the harder’!!
Such are the trials and tribulations of a professional rugby player and indeed a professional broadcaster!! Mind you it was cold enough for snowflakes tonight!, :roll:
Hope is not a strategy.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:33 am Got some insight tonight as to what has potentially been affecting the Ulster performance of late. Apparently the players don’t like the crowd shouting as this puts them off their concentration!! This was revealed when Gavin Andrews interviewed Craig Gilroy at half-time. Gilroy had his socks pulled up to his knees (on account of the cold) which attracted a few shouted comments from the Promenaders (tis the Ulster Way). Lo and behold after the interview Andrews and Gilroy came over to berate some in the crowd saying that such shouting (of benign comments) made it ‘very difficult to concentrate’ and ‘it may just seem like banter to you but it makes the job all the harder’!!
Such are the trials and tribulations of a professional rugby player and indeed a professional broadcaster!! Mind you it was cold enough for snowflakes tonight!, :roll:
Ffs.

I was hoping to grab a word with proper journo Murray Kinsella as he walked around the pitch but he has some stride on him.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Did they lose their 6 and 15 in the warm up?

They had two hookers on the bench which was lucky cos the big boned lad who came on after three minutes was knackered well before the break.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:33 am Got some insight tonight as to what has potentially been affecting the Ulster performance of late. Apparently the players don’t like the crowd shouting as this puts them off their concentration!! This was revealed when Gavin Andrews interviewed Craig Gilroy at half-time. Gilroy had his socks pulled up to his knees (on account of the cold) which attracted a few shouted comments from the Promenaders (tis the Ulster Way). Lo and behold after the interview Andrews and Gilroy came over to berate some in the crowd saying that such shouting (of benign comments) made it ‘very difficult to concentrate’ and ‘it may just seem like banter to you but it makes the job all the harder’!!
That interview was inane drivel. Relieved to hear it was the crowd's fault :roll:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

And how did they react when yous told them to do one?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Better.
Stormers poor.
Entertaining.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

StandUp wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:56 pm I forgot to mention Sheridan. If he keeps up this kind of performance he could very quickly become undroppable. Go get em Harry!!
More performances like that and Sheridan will certainly be "Keeping up Appearances" tally.

Bucket played well.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Big bunch of fannies. I get that there are plenty of loudmouths on the terraces who are just an embarrassment but it would be typical of this lot to be easily offended.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:20 am
Big bunch of fannies. I get that there are plenty of loudmouths on the terraces who are just an embarrassment but it would be typical of this lot to be easily offended.
Wabs
Exterminate all rational thought