Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster team to play Leinster, BKT United Rugby Championship Round 9, Saturday 3 December at RDS Arena (KO 7 35pm), live on TG4, Viaplay & URC.tv.

(15-9): Michael Lowry, Ethan McIlroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Stewart Moore, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Tom Stewart, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Captain), Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Duane Vermeulen, Nathan Doak, Jacob Stockdale, Matty Rea.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (44) 14. Jimmy O’Brien (58) 13. Garry Ringrose (107) CAPTAIN 12. Jamie Osborne (22) 11. James Lowe (65) 10. Ross Byrne (136) 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (116) 1. Cian Healy (252) 2. Rónan Kelleher (39) 3. Michael Ala’alatoa (31) 4. James Ryan (62) 5. Jason Jenkins (7) 6. Ryan Baird (42) 7. Josh van der Flier (117) 8. Jack Conan (120)

16. Dan Sheehan (34) 17. Andrew Porter (96) 18. Tadhg Furlong (128) 19. Ross Molony (147) 20. Caelan Doris (58) 21. Nick McCarthy (51) 22. Charlie Tector (1) 23. Liam Turner (9)
Last edited by Neill_M on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Dave wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:02 pmWhat?
What?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 pm Ulster team to play Leinster, BKT United Rugby Championship Round 9, Saturday 3 December at RDS Arena (KO 7 35pm), live on TG4, Viaplay & URC.tv.

(15-9): Michael Lowry, Ethan McIlroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Stewart Moore, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Tom Stewart, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Captain), Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Duane Vermeulen, Nathan Doak, Jacob Stockdale, Matty Rea.
Is McFarland drunk?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote:
Neill_M wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 pm Ulster team to play Leinster, BKT United Rugby Championship Round 9, Saturday 3 December at RDS Arena (KO 7 35pm), live on TG4, Viaplay & URC.tv.

Is McFarland drunk?
I like it. It’s lively!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Moore on the wing?!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

HammerTime wrote:Moore on the wing?!
One of my few issues with the side.

Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I like the selection as well.

It's going to be a mighty battle up front, but if we can get parity and win our fair share of the ball - we have the talent in the backs to skin them.

Really looking forward to this one.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Nice footballer but Not the time or place for experiments.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

I'm with KoTH - it's an interesting side. Not sure it'll work and would love to know the last time Hendy started at 6, but the scope for 'hybrid' players in various positions is worth looking at over the next few weeks. It's something of a free hit anyway, you're basically playing a just-below international quality XV in a league where 2nd is probably the best you can hope for.

Moore at 11 is a bit odd alright, but Stockdale has really struggled for form and fitness since his return. Bar Lyttle I think our winger stocks are fairly weak - I wouldn't be racing to start any of Moxham, Sexton or Gilroy tomorrow, for example.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

I'm calling this one early. That's a completely mental selection. In no way is Henderson up to the task of playing 6 anymore. He is an out and out lock and has been for many years now. There was a time when he was younger and lighter that we all wanted to see more of him at 6 because he was brilliant there but those days are long gone and he is no longer mobile enough to cover the requirements of playing 6. We will have mid field gaps all over the show and will get turned over in contact because of the lack of mobility caused by playing him at 6. And much though I like Stew why is he on the wing? Ross Byrne is a good kicker and will test Moore's positioning all night in an unfamiliar position and he'll have to deal with high kicks being contested by decent Leinster outside backs who are in the main, pretty decent under a high ball. Madness.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

allezlesverres wrote:I'm calling this one early. That's a completely mental selection. In no way is Henderson up to the task of playing 6 anymore. He is an out and out lock and has been for many years now. There was a time when he was younger and lighter that we all wanted to see more of him at 6 because he was brilliant there but those days are long gone and he is no longer mobile enough to cover the requirements of playing 6. We will have mid field gaps all over the show and will get turned over in contact because of the lack of mobility caused by playing him at 6. And much though I like Stew why is he on the wing? Ross Byrne is a good kicker and will test Moore's positioning all night in an unfamiliar position and he'll have to deal with high kicks being contested by decent Leinster outside backs who are in the main, pretty decent under a high ball. Madness.
Out of interest-maybe for another thread but what is Ulsters strongest team? Does selection depend on who they are playing?

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

damianmcr wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:02 pmWhat?
What?
A few strange calls.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

allezlesverres wrote:I'm calling this one early. That's a completely mental selection. In no way is Henderson up to the task of playing 6 anymore. He is an out and out lock and has been for many years now. There was a time when he was younger and lighter that we all wanted to see more of him at 6 because he was brilliant there but those days are long gone and he is no longer mobile enough to cover the requirements of playing 6. We will have mid field gaps all over the show and will get turned over in contact because of the lack of mobility caused by playing him at 6. And much though I like Stew why is he on the wing? Ross Byrne is a good kicker and will test Moore's positioning all night in an unfamiliar position and he'll have to deal with high kicks being contested by decent Leinster outside backs who are in the main, pretty decent under a high ball. Madness.
I can't see it either so I'm not sure about such an experiment against Leinster of all teams.