Ulster v Munster Friday April 22 7:35pm KO BBC2NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster v Munster Friday April 22 7:35pm KO BBC2NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by StandUp »

If we had Beauden Barrett at 10, we still wouldn’t achieve anything behind a pack with such poor mental fortitude. The pack must be fixed first, to provide a platform for the backs to play off.
When our forwards are playing without pressure, they are ok, but come the pointy end of the year, they crumble - and the other provinces know it.
Perhaps this is why we usually have such a poor representation amongst the Ireland forwards.
We always pull off a giant killing or two every year, but not when it really matters. The emotional well is not that deep.
Unfortunately, it is not an easy fix to overcome this collective mindset.
promenader 2
Initiate

Re: Ulster v Munster Friday April 22 7:35pm KO BBC2NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by promenader 2 »

I don't know if ML will ever be our first choice 10, but last night it was obvious he was struggling to make an impact there. Bringing Madigan on and shifting Mikey back to 15 was the change that needed to happen. Why did it take Dan 70 minutes to realise this?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

promenader 2 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:30 am I don't know if ML will ever be our first choice 10, but last night it was obvious he was struggling to make an impact there. Bringing Madigan on and shifting Mikey back to 15 was the change that needed to happen. Why did it take Dan 70 minutes to realise this?
McFarland a selections has been very poor at times this season.

Cooney was very poor last week and played the full 80minutes, he was very poor for 50minutes last night also and needs to be dropped to the bench.

I adopt see what Roberts offers that Stewart or Andrew doesn’t. He’s too small and average at the lineout. Marty Rea had a career ending 60minutes. It is worrying if he is ahead of McCann. What on earth is the young fella doing wrong, that he can’t get ahead of him?

Moore showed he isn’t a full back and shouldn’t be there. Where was Lyttle or sexton? They can’t be any worse. Murphy looks finished, as does Carter. Timoney could have played himself off the Irish summer tour.

Treadwell and TOT were huge losses I feel.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Have to agree with nearly everyone on this thread re: last night's performance from both team and players. Don't think I've left Ravenhill so angry for a very long time.
  • in 5 from 6 URC matches we've lost in this season, a back-row (4) or lock (1) has been MotM for the winners. Tells you everything about what you have to do to stop Ulster playing. Stop Ulster getting across the gain-line, attack their ball and protect your own and then it's one from three of their routes stopped. Connacht, Ospreys and Bulls all managed it before Munster last night. As noted by others, needs a bit more beef.
  • re: ML at 10: when there is no go-forward ball from the forwards, and there's no second receiver/distributor from 15 ('cos he's at 10), then our only real option is Big Stu at 12. If Big Stu is being double-tackled, then it won't matter, as StandUp correctly notes whether the 10 shirt is worn by Beauden Barrett, Barry John or Billy Burns. If Lowry is to play 10 on a consistent basis, then Ulster must have either Addison or Stockdale at 15 to provide both boot and second receiver options.
  • As noted just above, the required subs seemed pretty obvious (even Carter). Took a very long time to make them.
Very hard to watch the whole season unravel in just 40 minutes.The Pedrie Wannenburg news just makes it worse.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:22 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:03 am I don’t think there’s a great deal of room in professional sport for experimentation, especially for a coach in the final year of their contract.

It will be interesting to see how we develop the lad from Munster, given his pedigree for the U20s.

There’s some talk of a URC reserve league.

At the very least, we should be playing the other Provinces more often at A team level.
Surely playing Lowry at 15 initially for Ulster when he had been playing 10 in his recent years before that was an experiment in itself? I am pretty sure he was always earmarked as a potential 10 rather than a 15.
Playing Peter Nelson at 10 a few years ago was more of an experiment.

Hopefully Addison will be fit again next season as that will give Dan more options.
I think playing Nelson at 10 was more an act of insanity!

Anyway, as has been noted, tragic events have put last night into perspective.

I’m off for a strong cup of coffee in the garden.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Big-al wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 am
promenader 2 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:30 am I don't know if ML will ever be our first choice 10, but last night it was obvious he was struggling to make an impact there. Bringing Madigan on and shifting Mikey back to 15 was the change that needed to happen. Why did it take Dan 70 minutes to realise this?
McFarland a selections has been very poor at times this season.

Cooney was very poor last week and played the full 80minutes, he was very poor for 50minutes last night also and needs to be dropped to the bench.

I adopt see what Roberts offers that Stewart or Andrew doesn’t. He’s too small and average at the lineout. Marty Rea had a career ending 60minutes. It is worrying if he is ahead of McCann. What on earth is the young fella doing wrong, that he can’t get ahead of him?

Moore showed he isn’t a full back and shouldn’t be there. Where was Lyttle or sexton? They can’t be any worse. Murphy looks finished, as does Carter. Timoney could have played himself off the Irish summer tour.

Treadwell and TOT were huge losses I feel.

McFarland commenting today on lack of dynamism by Ulster players last night. As ever he fails to ascribe any blame to himself for his selections or failed tactics or failure to substitute in a timely manner. All soundbite and no substance. Ulster looked from the outset last night like a team that lacked confidence in the plans and selection.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Up until now, I considered Dan a magnificent coach who was doing wonders with a mediocre squad, but now, I don’t know what to think.
Reading the posts above, was I wrong? Or is this all a knee jerk reaction to a massively disappointing result?
Surely, part of the coaching remit is to help the players build self confidence and resilience, but as dog and ulcer pointed out, the players seemed to lack confidence in tactics.
I hope the coaches have some answers as to how to move forward, otherwise, we will all rock up to Ravenhill again next year, pay our money, and cheer the team on and the team will flatter to deceive yet again until the business end of the season, when their balls will drop again.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

McFarland's comments are also unfair to players like Stuart McCloskey who could not have made a greater effort than he did last night. Still no news on why Henderson was replaced at halftime but he certainly did not have an impact in the first half as a player or as a captain.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Roll back 3 weeks and what is now being said about ulster was being said about Munster. Lack if depth remains a work in progress and of course consistency. Some contract renewables were questionable but given the circumstances I don't know what alternatives were available.

It's time for some keaders on the field to step out of the shadows. Herring, McCliskey, DV and even young Hume can do it.

Dan has a job on his hands to pull this around but even this season it can be done.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

It is also of note that Ulster were playing against a depleted Munster squad missing some considerable breakdown grunt. What would have been the outcome, or will be the outcome against a full strength Munster team?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I was not enamoured by the selection

,firstly Cooney's game has been rather iffy for some time since being injured -- his kicking from the tee has been fine , he practice that and recreate what he practices on the pitch because the pressure is basically an internal pressure rather than one exerted by the opposition . There is no way to practice the pressures exerted by the opposition on his general game.

His passing last night was slow and directly to players -- nobody was running onto the ball -- hence few were making the gain line never mind getting over it -- leading to either slow recycle or turnovers . Lowry was lying deep playing as a link to do other wise would have been foolish.

A flat first half was the result .

Secondly Lowry at out half the combination with Cooney was experimental behind a second string combination back row against a Munster side coming off a European win . I don't care who Munster select the fact is they are always going to be competitive .

The first rule of combat never underestimate the opposition and the selection did.

McCloskey to me looked match weary -- too many games ----too much effort -- and too little to show for it . he makes yards stays on his feet but with possibly three players on him or near him -- he is unable to off load . His style of play is too well known and his efforts wasted. The opposition pack the midfield marking out half, first centre -- and the gaps between inside and out side centre and wings.

Lowry is wasted at out half -- the difference between school boy and pro rugby is such that there is no space for him to exploit his pace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:03 am I don’t think there’s a great deal of room in professional sport for experimentation, especially for a coach in the final year of their contract.

It will be interesting to see how we develop the lad from Munster, given his pedigree for the U20s.

At the very least, we should be playing the other Provinces more often at A team level.
Surely playing Lowry at 15 initially for Ulster when he had been playing 10 in his recent years before that was an experiment in itself? I am pretty sure he was always earmarked as a potential 10 rather than a 15.

Hopefully Addison will be fit again next season as that will give Dan more options.
Bart S wrote:

The issue is what you lose when Lowry goes to 10. We had a centre playing fullback. Lowry has been outstanding in the 15 shirt. He is breaking all sorts of records for beating defenders and gaining yards. Munster are rubbing their hands if he goes to 10. Their rush defence can easily close in the space. Without effective ball carrying through the middle the ability to break the gain line is reduced with no space for Lowry. Maybe with Addison playing at 15 we could prolong this but I feel Lowry should remain at 15 for now.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

StandUp wrote:Up until now, I considered Dan a magnificent coach who was doing wonders with a mediocre squad, but now, I don’t know what to think.
Reading the posts above, was I wrong? Or is this all a knee jerk reaction to a massively disappointing result?
Surely, part of the coaching remit is to help the players build self confidence and resilience, but as dog and ulcer pointed out, the players seemed to lack confidence in tactics.
I hope the coaches have some answers as to how to move forward, otherwise, we will all rock up to Ravenhill again next year, pay our money, and cheer the team on and the team will flatter to deceive yet again until the business end of the season, when their balls will drop again.
Wouldn’t be sure how much longer Dan intends to stick around anyway
Put himself squarely in the shop window with his recent 5 Live rugby pod appearance, making a fair fist of touting himself for a job in England

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:
Bart S wrote:

Bart S wrote:

The issue is what you lose when Lowry goes to 10. We had a centre playing fullback. Lowry has been outstanding in the 15 shirt. He is breaking all sorts of records for beating defenders and gaining yards. Munster are rubbing their hands if he goes to 10. Their rush defence can easily close in the space. Without effective ball carrying through the middle the ability to break the gain line is reduced with no space for Lowry. Maybe with Addison playing at 15 we could prolong this but I feel Lowry should remain at 15 for now.
Agree , only thing i can add to that is time at 10 without everyone hounding him.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Soda wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:00 pm
StandUp wrote:Up until now, I considered Dan a magnificent coach who was doing wonders with a mediocre squad, but now, I don’t know what to think.
Wouldn’t be sure how much longer Dan intends to stick around anyway
Put himself squarely in the shop window with his recent 5 Live rugby pod appearance, making a fair fist of touting himself for a job in England

But will the implosion of his team of mental midgets ruin his share price?
The last few matches will not do Dan’s stock any good. And if he can’t prepare a URC team, how could he prepare an international squad.