Japan RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Bobbievee »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 am
Bobbievee wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:22 am Little mention on here of a direct comparison of the AB second rowers and our two invisible men, and the AB back row 3.........and our invisible men.
Add to that the aimless kicking at 9 and 10, and we were lucky to keep the score below 60!
Tier 2 here we come.
Ireland and Italy out, and Japan and the Argies in
The Argies are Tier 1, but they didn't grt out of their group, albeit a challenging one.
Mervyn
Apologies 're Argues
Of course
I shouldn't post late at night
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cockatrice wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:40 pm I would be interested to see how an Ireland team picked on form would actually differ from the team that went out against the ABs.
Depends on whether we simply mean "on form" or we also require them to be proven at the level.

If it is only the former then Carty and Conway would have started yesterday. If we also include guys not even in Japan and those not playing their club rugby in Ireland it could be a little different.

Bottom line now is Farrell needs to ensure all Irish players are starting from zero and have to prove their worth for inclusion. However we all know that is not really possible when the gowlbags in the IRFU are directing which players must be selected and indeed which ones cannot be selected...
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Is Janny soldiering on for another while then? I believe he's contracted to 2021.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Yeah IRFU have selected Sexton for Ireland for another 2 years.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:05 pm Yeah IRFU have selected Sexton for Ireland for another 2 years.
Shoo in for the next Lions tour :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 pm Evening all.
IRFU are reaping what they sowed. Ireland are completely without a functioning flyhalf and got bate out the gate by a quality side.
Hopefully Hendy and Jacob aren't involved in Farrell's plans going forward, after all there are clearly better options in Turnipstan and Mexico.
That's me away again Happy Christmas.
Happy Christmas to you too. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

is it fair to say Ireland choke up on the big stage.Last few years Ireland have shown true grit and emotion to eventually been world number 1. Will Ireland ever be world champions,or have we shot ourselves in the foot.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Cockatrice wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:40 pm I would be interested to see how an Ireland team picked on form would actually differ from the team that went out against the ABs. This was after all the number one team in the world according to the somewhat bewildering system used to decide this.

Stockdale was starved of any ball and yet seemingly highlighted on several occasions by pundits as at fault for seemingly everything that went wrong in more than that one match. His defensive flaw is obvious yet does he repeatedly put himself in those rushing positions of his own bat or on instruction.

I feel sorry for Rory and wish him all the best on the farm..

The only player that I think could have added anything was Addison who having been unlucky with injury was given a chance to prove himself again. I think he offers more than others and should have gone. Would Toner have made any difference I doubt it.

I said way back from ChicAgo that only the ABs would learn from that game and I think yesterday showed that. Ireland effectively stuck with team and believed that was the way forward whilst others including Reid two teams have moved past them..

Thank god Sexton in done and as for Farrell I see difficult times ahead and whilst other 6 N teams will start immediate World Cup rebuilds we will stay with the old guard minus Rory for at least another season..
for dog and ulcer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:14 pm Interesting that Schmidt made no reference to any failings in his selection or coaching. Entirely the fault of players making mistakes was more or less what he said. He picked and coached those players and decided the tactics. The box kicking to the NZ backline, for example, was ridiculous. Murray has done that ubiquitously for two years. Sexton looked like a much older man. Schmidt had developed no alternatives to this worn out, predictable pairing. Kearney-. it has been time to go for years now.
The fact that Best Earls Kearney and Stander are anywhere near the squad whilst th3 likes of Beirne Conway and Larmour sit on side lines confounds me.
And the fact that Sexton has to touch the ball at least twice in every phase and Conner Murray's contempt of possession also beggars belief.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Watched Li while the ginger prince wasn’t kicking well at the goals his passing was much superior than anything on show yesterday
With the wings getting the ball in space .

But for the unforgiving bitches of Ireland — with their vindictive imaginary offences conjured out of young men playing “oneupmanship”

Guess what I did last night ?

Look at the birds we pulled !!
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Frank wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:41 pm
The fact that Best Earls Kearney and Stander are anywhere near the squad whilst th3 likes of Beirne Conway and Larmour sit on side lines confounds me.
And the fact that Sexton has to touch the ball at least twice in every phase and Conner Murray's contempt of possession also beggars belief.
Anyone here long enough may recall me saying years ago that EOS would prefer to lose while trying not to lose rather than to lose while trying to win. We have the same situation now 12 years on and we will have it in another 12 years time. Not saying the coaches don't have responsibility but the IRFU itself is playing a large part.

We'll probably come up with a few decent wins in 2021 and maybe 2022 and it will be all #teamofus ballix and hype again and then at the next RWC we'll limp out again at the 1/4 final.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Oh great. Rum has found his phone. :D
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Frank the way the half backs have played what difference would Conway or Lamour have made .

All too slow all too predictable all badly executed
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

The forward pass for their try was more egregious.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

How many other penalties for a crooked feed has Peyper or any other referee given in this World Cup other than the one he gave which allowed Japan a win? Gregor Townsend raised this and he has a point.