Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Replacement 10

Post by Deraless »

Cipriani reportedly signing for Gloucester, not that he would have touched us with a very long pole.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Has Joe Launchbury signed for anyone yet?

Him and Hendo.

Dreaming.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

breakdown wrote:Does anyone really think Carbery moving north effects his chances with the national team?

Even if he isnt playing regularly or starting big games, he is still very clearly Irelands number 2 fly half. And chances are, a year out from the world cup and a further year older, I dare say we will see less of Sexton next season than we usually do to keep him fresh for the WC

In short, it may be better for Carbery in terms of playing time but in all reality he could very easily sit on the bench for Leinster and still make the Ireland squad. Keatley and Byrne are quite the drop off in quality
He is clearly the number 2 in a matchday 23 in the 6 nations, but is he guaranteed to be the number two in a world cup squad? Not the same question at all. Byrne is probably as good if not better as a pure flyhalf, but Carbery covers 15 as well and possibly other positions in extremis. Same as Paddy leapfrogged Carbery to start when Sexton was out.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Dave wrote:Has Joe Launchbury signed for anyone yet?

Him and Hendo.

Dreaming.
Dont wake me
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:The folly of the huge Thomond development has been well discussed and accepted. That's not my point.
As I understand it, Ulster's problem, from a Dublin point of view is that we are profligate with our payroll with too many players at the top end of the payscale delivering very little for their large remuneration. Into the bargain, we have repeatedly signed duds, more than could be considered simply unfortunate.
And how does that translate into a begging bowl accusation? Sounds as if we're so minted that we throw money around us william-nilliam.

To put the tin cap on it, does or does not one David Nucifora sign off on all of our signings? To wit: Nucifora signed off on Hond for his mate Kiss & Allen Clarke, soon to be the slayer of Ulster.

Anyway, a brave dollop of wages money is just about to walk out the door, Piutau, p, Diack, T Bowe & the GLU who must have been on plenty but didn't want to hang around. I hope we'll spend it wisely on the incoming Mexicans and the nippers, we could do with a great deal more nipperage, nippers will bust a gut to make it, old lags who are rarely selected, less so.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

He seems quite happy in collecting silverware on the back of others work, it would make or break him coming to Ulster but I don't think he has the minerals for it......
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster may have had a few big named players getting big bucks but the Ulster squad is substantially smaller than either Leinster or Munster and Ulster fielded few players than both those provinces -- admittedly the bulk of the players fielded by Leinster and Munster in place of their senior players are due to the large number of players that those provinces provide to the national squad but that fact also gives rise to another that their squad costs are subsidised by central contracts.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Ulster may have had a few big named players getting big bucks but the Ulster squad is substantially smaller than either Leinster or Munster and Ulster fielded few players than both those provinces -- admittedly the bulk of the players fielded by Leinster and Munster in place of their senior players are due to the large number of players that those provinces provide to the national squad but that fact also gives rise to another that their squad costs are subsidised by central contracts.
So what you're saying is

Leinster get the besr years out of them and for cheap
They then get shipped when older to the other provinces
When they're older they get paid more

D4 really are twunts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not totally

Firstly the wage cost is subsides by central contracts and this enables them to have larger squads and bigger Academies which could disguise the numbers in the Academies who fail to proceed to a full contract

Secondly The apparent success of their Academy is a reflection of the numbers in it rather than just the quality of their players .

Thirdly that Ulster's failure on the field is basically a reflection of a small squad lacking depth those who complain about Daves should consider that cost of one Star might cover the cost of two Daves -- the problem with expensive stars that when injured they add nothing to on field performance but cause a lack of depth in the squad .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I actually think there is useful ground between Charles being the highest paid player in the Pro14 at £500k per year and an average Dave on under £100k. Sometimes you get what you pay for and yes that can be compounded with an injury or two but I think there are few of us that truly believe Charles was worth every penny of his money despite what the stats might show.

What I fail to understand is why some of the deadwood can't be cut with prime example being HOND who remains in my opinion a firm waste of money and a contract... cut and run surely they understand that they can put clauses in contracts even covering the small but vital point of being able to get off the plane and able to pass a medical.

Some might be surprised how little some of our Academy and Development players get paid even those that have made a fistful of appearances at full level... There is of course a rationale behind that but one Charles could make a huge difference to the wider development of the academy...

Thankfully the Academy is doing just that with Willie and Kieran at least aware that rugby is paid outside of MCB and RBAI and seeing them reach into the depths of far flung places to get that big auld fashioned farmers son that used to serve us so well...

As for the Mexican 10 conundrum if Carbery was to stay at Leinster as back-upto Sexton who exactly would jump over him in the quest for benching 10.. He's there already and no doubt his game may improve as a starting 10 here but at the same time behind a pack of forwards without an ounce of Leinster's street sense it may also destroy him.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Leinster appear to think Byrne is ahead of Carbury or is it just they need Carbury at 15 ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Carberry might also look at Cooney, winning all the stats in the league, winning all the big awards at the UR dinner, generally being seen to have taken a no win situation replacing Ruan and not only made a fist of it but done so with a great attitude.

Where has it got Cooney? backup to Marmion as Ireland's third choice SH. Not even a bench spot vs Italy to show for his season and show the other Leinster players that Joe and Dave want to shunt around that moving province can be a good thing for your career.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Rooster wrote:Leinster appear to think Byrne is ahead of Carbury or is it just they need Carbury at 15 ?
I think it's just that, they want him for 15. What Leinster have forgotten, is that they are there to serve Irish rugby, and on that point they should be playing the new #2 at 10 whenever Sexton isn't playing. It's as simple as that, or else, he'll be asked to move to a province who will play him at 10 on a regular basis. Realistically, Joey can't stay at Leinster, International windows would result in first and second choice 10s gone from their set up. Time for Leinster to tell him to go, best for all concerned. I still would prefer to see someone decent from outside brought in, would be very happy with Leilei. Not the greatest 10 that walked the earth but decent enough, can play centre and a real decent skin to bring on the young ones. He'd be a great bonus to the club, and let's face it, we need a real shot in the arm after the disaster this year has been. Not helped in any way by the FIRFU and their capitulation.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Cockatrice wrote:I actually think there is useful ground between Charles being the highest paid player in the Pro14 at £500k per year and an average Dave on under £100k. Sometimes you get what you pay for and yes that can be compounded with an injury or two but I think there are few of us that truly believe Charles was worth every penny of his money despite what the stats might show.

What I fail to understand is why some of the deadwood can't be cut with prime example being HOND who remains in my opinion a firm waste of money and a contract... cut and run surely they understand that they can put clauses in contracts even covering the small but vital point of being able to get off the plane and able to pass a medical.

Some might be surprised how little some of our Academy and Development players get paid even those that have made a fistful of appearances at full level... There is of course a rationale behind that but one Charles could make a huge difference to the wider development of the academy...

Thankfully the Academy is doing just that with Willie and Kieran at least aware that rugby is paid outside of MCB and RBAI and seeing them reach into the depths of far flung places to get that big auld fashioned farmers son that used to serve us so well...
I’m not sure that cash is what the academy needs. It’s decent leadership, talent identification and nurturing of players with potential. The key is to identify those who deserve a chance of stepping up, then giving them the chance. Certainly they don’t need paid more. I appreciate it needs to be well resourced but should that really take a lot of money?

I’ve no problem with one or two big name big money NIQ players, but they are the sort of signings that get you wins in the big Heineken cup games with a bit of magic. What they can’t do is prop up a team of Daves. If you dropped Charles into the team from the days of Johan, Ruan et al we just might have some silverware in our cabinet.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Janny a doubt for Saturday. I'm sure Joey will get his chance.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?