What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Silverstu
Initiate

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Silverstu »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Silverstu wrote:I'd hope Scholes is staying- Stockdale has a bit to develop and Scholes has shown he is up to European level. Tommy wasn't looking too fast before his injury- we have no idea how he will return and Trimble seems to have lost a little pace. Both intelligent, smart players but their bodies are starting to slow a bit. Scholes and Gilroy could start more games then you might think next season and actually I'm not sure Trimble or Bowe walk back into the team as it is.
Stu, Trimble walks back onto the team, to suggest anything else is daft. Bowe is an entirely different scenario.
Thank you for that clarification, Snipe. My hackles were beginning to rise. People sometimes forget Trimble's special status as the GLU, he is welcome to start until he says otherwise.

As you so sagely added, Tommy not so much, though it should be added, what Tommy has over any other Irish winger, the GLU included, is his incredibly sense of being in the right place at the right time. Nothing to do with skill or pace, pure instinct and something that allows him not to be the fastest kid on the block, but still Johnny on the spot.

We are blessed with talented wingers, if Gilroy had the fight of Trimble & the gifts of Bowe, he would be the top man rather than waiting for the old boots of retired champions. He's still pretty bloody good at times mind you. As for Charless, he will be awesome where ever he plays.

NOW, what have I missed on Scholes, I thought tales of his departure mirrored Mark Twain's alleged death?

Hi Baggy- I was aware I was poking the bear somewhat with that comment :D . Trimble is, as you say, the GLU, it was more pointing that he has, unsurprisingly, not hit his previous form since returning from injury. The possibility of an out of form Trimble and a young winger playing out of skin might just mean he has to fight for his place- I believe he wouldn't want it any other way. Primarily though I am just greedy- we have 4 quality wingers with a promising nipper or two [Stockdale etc..] coming through. Going forward that allows us greater quality in depth, we are still competitive no matter who we put out on the wing and we can keep our guys fresher and on their toes as a result [and maybe get an extra season or two out the GLU ]. Charles just adds to the quality on the back three, Nelson can maybe work on covering 10 as well as 15. Plus i really would hate to see a weapon like Scholes go to one of our rivals. Room for them all I say if we want to take on the likes of Sarries and the french in Europe.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ruckover wrote:
Kanbei wrote:
thecrouch wrote:
Kanbei wrote:No sign of Dominic Ryan or Jordi though.
They weren't out of contract.

Conan not on their list either.
Think I read somewhere Jordi is out of contract at the end of the season
He isn't. Neither are Ryan or Conan.
Ah ha, but who is? Young master Ruddock I'll warrant.
Not anymore. Signed a new contract today.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:
joyfulrodger wrote:To me, Scholes looks the better player out of the two.
Considering Scholes is 4 years older, you would think so, I actually think Stockdale will be better, his tracking back on Friday night gathering under pressure and then running it back into the Glasgow half, showed speed, stamina, skill and belief in his own abilities, I hope Scholes stays but if he doesn't want to stay and fight for a place against 2 ageing wingers then a couple of years away might help on the other hand he might just get lost along with many others who left for greener pastures.....
Wise words Scrumptious. :thumleft:

I have to gulder at the "go away and get experience then come back" mob. No young player worth a damn has ever gone away and come back ............ unless hey are utter sheeeeit.

The only quality player to go & come back has been Tommy & perhaps to some extent, Restart. Tommy really hasn't worked out that well, Restart ? ................ a bit late really, we missed the best of him by a distance but he's a grand ould stalwart anyway, if nearly done.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote: Not anymore. Signed a new contract today.
So I see, 19 announced at one time. :shock:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cian Healy didn't sooooo done deal?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by nonplussed »

Sean Doyle has pretty decent Bristols

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
scrum5 wrote:
Considering Scholes is 4 years older, you would think so, I actually think Stockdale will be better, his tracking back on Friday night gathering under pressure and then running it back into the Glasgow half, showed speed, stamina, skill and belief in his own abilities, I hope Scholes stays but if he doesn't want to stay and fight for a place against 2 ageing wingers then a couple of years away might help on the other hand he might just get lost along with many others who left for greener pastures.....
Zackerly Scrummy. I have been most impressed with the yute Stockdale. The tenacity of youth is on his side, but he could be some pup if properly looked after by Uncle Joe and Uncle Les. Uncle Potty mouth can teach him to spit and cuss.
I hope Uncle Joe stays well away from him, McCloskey has only been with him for 3 weeks and he has forgotten how to pass the ball
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
scrum5 wrote:
Zackerly Scrummy. I have been most impressed with the yute Stockdale. The tenacity of youth is on his side, but he could be some pup if properly looked after by Uncle Joe and Uncle Les. Uncle Potty mouth can teach him to spit and cuss.
I hope Uncle Joe stays well away from him, McCloskey has only been with him for 3 weeks and he has forgotten how to pass the ball
It's Uncle Joe Barakat I'm talking about. :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
scrum5 wrote:
:duh: :duh: :duh:
Thats ok then. :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote: I hope Uncle Joe stays well away from him, McCloskey has only been with him for 3 weeks and he has forgotten how to pass the ball
:duh: :duh: :duh:
Thats ok then. :thumleft:
Thon other pedlar of dull rugby can keep his grubby paws off.....
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Silverstu wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Silverstu wrote:I'd hope Scholes is staying- Stockdale has a bit to develop and Scholes has shown he is up to European level. Tommy wasn't looking too fast before his injury- we have no idea how he will return and Trimble seems to have lost a little pace. Both intelligent, smart players but their bodies are starting to slow a bit. Scholes and Gilroy could start more games then you might think next season and actually I'm not sure Trimble or Bowe walk back into the team as it is.
Stu, Trimble walks back onto the team, to suggest anything else is daft. Bowe is an entirely different scenario.
Thank you for that clarification, Snipe. My hackles were beginning to rise. People sometimes forget Trimble's special status as the GLU, he is welcome to start until he says otherwise.

As you so sagely added, Tommy not so much, though it should be added, what Tommy has over any other Irish winger, the GLU included, is his incredibly sense of being in the right place at the right time. Nothing to do with skill or pace, pure instinct and something that allows him not to be the fastest kid on the block, but still Johnny on the spot.

We are blessed with talented wingers, if Gilroy had the fight of Trimble & the gifts of Bowe, he would be the top man rather than waiting for the old boots of retired champions. He's still pretty bloody good at times mind you. As for Charless, he will be awesome where ever he plays.

NOW, what have I missed on Scholes, I thought tales of his departure mirrored Mark Twain's alleged death?

Hi Baggy- I was aware I was poking the bear somewhat with that comment :D . Trimble is, as you say, the GLU, it was more pointing that he has, unsurprisingly, not hit his previous form since returning from injury. The possibility of an out of form Trimble and a young winger playing out of skin might just mean he has to fight for his place- I believe he wouldn't want it any other way. Primarily though I am just greedy- we have 4 quality wingers with a promising nipper or two [Stockdale etc..] coming through. Going forward that allows us greater quality in depth, we are still competitive no matter who we put out on the wing and we can keep our guys fresher and on their toes as a result [and maybe get an extra season or two out the GLU ]. Charles just adds to the quality on the back three, Nelson can maybe work on covering 10 as well as 15. Plus i really would hate to see a weapon like Scholes go to one of our rivals. Room for them all I say if we want to take on the likes of Sarries and the french in Europe.
You know what Stu, I hate to lose anyone who sows an ounce of talent - incidentally that excludes all the IQs signed last season, every man jack of them - but there is an issue. PLayer costs are rising quicker than income, or so I hear, so in possitions of relative strength, the likelihood is that a decent player or two will go.

Remember that guy Tommy Seymour? Always liked Tommy but it didn't cause me sleepless nights when he left. Seems to have done rightly. So will Scholes if he goes, and in a couple of years, with a couple of stars coming closer to the end and Charless maybe heading home, we will regret the loss but the accountant will be happy.

C'est la vie.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Scholes will come back a better player after his stint away.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
theundercoverspark
Novice

Post by theundercoverspark »

Healy and New Zealand import Hayden Triggs are the only definitive players out of contract, but there are up to 22 other senior players who might be out of contract. The uncertainty arises because of Leinster's new policy of failing to disclose the lengths of their contract renewals.

It wouldn't be hard to believe that a portion of the players who re-signed last year signed one-year-deals, and there are 22 potential players who could be out of contract in the summer.

Among those names included scrum-halves Eoin Reddan and Isaac Boss, and backrowers Dominic Ryan and Jordi Murphy amid rumours linking Ulster with Irish-qualified backrow signings.

There are three players due to complete their academy stints in the summer aswell - Billy Dardis, Stevie Crosbie, and Thomas Farrell. Crosbie made his Leinster debut in his first year at Leinster - but his progress has stalled since. Dardis' promise lead to Tony Ward calling for him to be included in the Ireland national squad two and a half years ago. Dardis has been hit with injuries, and it is possible that he might be given another year in the academy.

Here are the players who might be out of contract at the end of the season:

Collie O'Shea
Noel Reid
Isaac Boss
Luke McGrath
Eoin Reddan
Ed Byrne
Richardt Strauss
Sean Cronin
Aaron Dundon
Bryan Byrne
Tom Denton
Tadhg Beirne
Gavin Thornbury
Dominic Ryan
Jordi Murphy
Dan Leavy
Jack Conan
Mick McGrath
Royce Burke-Flynn
Ian Hirst
Mick Kearney
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Where's this Conan talk coming from anyway? Doesn't look like much on the BB forum...

As for Scholes... I think he's a huge talent and eye the age of our back three nervously, but there's not space for him to get the development time he needs so good luck to him and I hope everything works out as KotH says - usually does. I'd have rather been more ruthless about axing the old boys and keeping him, but such is life.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Any chance we could get him an A cap before he goes?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk