PRO12 R1: Away to Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rovi Snave
Warrior

Re: PRO12 R1: Away to Scarlets

Post by Rovi Snave »

Big-al wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Payne has hip injury.
Oh dear that's a shame. Am I dreaming or did we look a different team when when Fat Nick replaced Restart & Marshall Marshall joined "The Future of Ulster" in the centre.

Nope, pretty sure I was wide awake. Anybody else notice how little we missed "InTheArse"?

G'wan, admit it, nobody missed him, it's as if he'd moved to Leinster, and by Christ do they need him. :lol: :lol: :lol: Feckin' Season Wrecker. >threaten
Wise up Baggy.
Why ?- he is absolutely right >clapping
Finished
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Just in - can anyone guess how much FitzMonkey got paid for tonights performance (above and beyond his usual fee!!!).

New question invented tonight for TMO's - "Can you please provide me within a reason to disallow the try, no matter how far we have to go back"
Finished
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Wee Woman wrote:Well I managed my all media blackout this afternoon and have just finished watching the match. Not much to add on top of what's been covered already but I also picked up on the Henderson comment about hip surgery - King can you confirm that??

Also, is Declan Fitzpatrick ever going to finish a game? If not, I'm kind of wondering what the point of having him is. Harsh but true.
I know is there even any point him being on the bench when the man he replaced ended up back on
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Payne can feck off.

Backline for Zebre ought to be (9-15) beagle-iHumph-Allen-Olding-Ludik-Scholes-Gilroy. Ludik may not yet have the savant-like defensive organisation of Darren, but he's a damn sight better than Payne and he can actually fecking tackle.

Olding played excellently I thought; their was almost always doubt in the defender's mind as to whether he was to pass, kick or run, and he exploited that doubt brilliantly. Ludik was strong in the tackle from FB, and will certainly score tries for us.

Declan Fitzpatrick needs to consider his career options outside of rugby. He's endangering himself in the act of providing essentially nothing to the Ulster team. That's harsh, but not inaccurate.

Liam Williams got what he deserved. His first yellow was soft (as was Tuohy's), but the second was well deserved, and overall a dismissal couldn't have gone to a more deserving little toerag.

In general our attacking play was excellent and fluent, whilst our defense was essentially non-existent. As others have said, with StP, Jackson, Cave (and Trimble) back in position, that will correct itself: Kiss and Bell will sort that with a vengeance. Indeed, overall it was a game we could have won. Hypotheticals are of little value but if one of the following three had gone the other way:

1) beagle didn't throw a beautiful, try-creating pass to a Scarlet
2) Ludik's try was given
3) Gilroy avoided being tackled into the post

Then we may well have got a 5-pointer there. There was enough on show to suggest that the scoreline against Zebre will be very, very high next week.
It's the hope that kills you.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Only one game played and as a forum we've already written off-

Deccie (always injured)
Payne (morally bankrupt)
and
Henderson (mystery hip injury, possibly needing surgery minor / major, who knows?)

I am going to wait a little longer before deciding whether any of these players can make serious positive contributions to our season.
We do not have a big enough squad to write good players off after one match.

Apart from Paul Marshall, obviously.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:Apart from Paul Marshall, obviously.
:lol:
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I also think iHumph did himself the world of good today, he may be nobody's idea of a tackler but by Christ he makes things happen & has a brain. Most crucially, he kicked some superb goals when the pressure was on. Some of you need to shut yer dumbassed holes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 Baggy. We knew what we were getting when we signed him and we wouldn't have drawn that game without him. His vision and direction of the game is excellent. And he put in a couple of good tackles.

The idea of shoe-horning Olding (my MOM) in as a standby standoff is just not on. He is superb at 12. Can't understand why he was taking the pens though. Luke Marshall isnmight be better placed at 13 - kicked away possession a couple of times when a pass or offload would have been soooo much better - but then Trimble and Bowe wouldn't see the ball.

Think the trouble with Windy at 13 is that he just doesn't have the time or space that he gets at 15 - and he can't marshal the defence the way Cave does.

Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I thought Michael Allen had a good game.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Then we may well have got a 5-pointer there. There was enough on show to suggest that the scoreline against Zebre will be very, very high next week.
I will wait and see how they do against Cardiff tomorrow
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Big-al wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Oh dear that's a shame. Am I dreaming or did we look a different team when when Fat Nick replaced Restart & Marshall Marshall joined "The Future of Ulster" in the centre.

Nope, pretty sure I was wide awake. Anybody else notice how little we missed "InTheArse"?

G'wan, admit it, nobody missed him, it's as if he'd moved to Leinster, and by Christ do they need him. :lol: :lol: :lol: Feckin' Season Wrecker. >threaten
Wise up Baggy.
You are so fecking dull Al, OK go ahead which bit did you disagree with? :roll: And try not to add to your burgeoning reputation as a feckwit. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

Seriously frustrating performance I thought, if our defence had been anywhere near last season's average performance, we would have won that by 20 points!! Maybe an exageration, and in fairness they finished a couple of tries nicely, but 14 points were due to defensive howlers (Marshall's intercept on HT + Humph (?) missed tackle, and the Olding shocker in the second half)

On the plus side I thought we always looked dangerous in their half, and really should have racked up more points - Olding looked sensational in attack, and I thought Ludik was excellent, always looking to attack space rather than hoof. Our scrum never really got going, I don't know enough about it to say whether we struggled, or whether it was just typical Fitzgibbery, hopefully the latter because Scarlets are surely not one of the tighter front 5s around..

I think we did well to haul back a draw (although their defence on the final try was suicidally limp) - a loss there would have been very disappointing.. I hope that our defence will tighten up as Olding beds in properly - it's worth remembering, I suppose, that despite looming so large in Ulster fans thoughts, he has actually played hardly any rugby for the first team, and so still has to get up to speed.

As for the poster who compared us to Munster - FFS!!! catch yerself on..
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:Only one game played and as a forum we've already written off-

Deccie (always injured)
Payne (morally bankrupt)
and
Henderson (mystery hip injury, possibly needing surgery minor / major, who knows?)

I am going to wait a little longer before deciding whether any of these players can make serious positive contributions to our season.
We do not have a big enough squad to write good players off after one match.

Apart from Paul Marshall, obviously.
Legs, you are right, I to expect Payne to contribute but by Jesus he's a very ordinary 13, indeed he may be about 3rd or 4th best 13 in Ulster though destined for high things with Josef apparently. Could h be one of those rare players ho performs at is best when surrounded by good players? I think he will struggle at 13.

He is a quality player, however just not at 13, far too weak in defence, indeed even at full back I can't remember a memorable tackle & certainly not a jarring head on tackle, but he gets by by having a decent sense of how to shepherd a player so he can take him side on.

Deccie, rather like p, is an anomalous presence in the squad, how can guys be so limited in their contribution and both be in their 9th pro season at Ulster? p has a contract until 2017 FFS, thanks Doc Dave

Hendo, I'll wait to hear something from KOTH or Ulster before panicking. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Deckard wrote: Our scrum never really got going, I don't know enough about it to say whether we struggled, or whether it was just typical Fitzgibbery, hopefully the latter because Scarlets are surely not one of the tighter front 5s around..
Did you watch any rugby last season?

They had the most improved scrum in the league having been as weak as water for the previous few. Suggest that the new scrum laws may have suited them as it did some of our props, notably Black.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

You freaking suks should cuunt yoursilves licky you hive a guy like Jerrad. He's the digs bullocks.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Phil John was herioc today. Hats off to him. I stupidly wrote him off. As for the scrums, DF struggled before going off, and CB, nugget that he is, has a tendency to bind on the tighthead's sleeve and pull down- he's going to ship penalties. Warwick and Herbst went well though. Could be our 1 & 3 starting >EW

Line out were good. Diack and Van the man with good steals and nearly 100% on our throw. I like the cut of VDM's jib, sirrah!
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Evil Kiwi wrote:You freaking suks should cuunt yoursilves licky you hive a guy like Jerrad. He's the digs bullocks.
:lol: Quality
Exterminate all rational thought