Munster 2012/13

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Scranner
Warrior

Re: Munster 2012/13

Post by Scranner »

Mac wrote:Was very surprised the Meds left Laulala on after his tackle in the 1st.
He was out cold for 30-40secs, complete Lala land! Meds should always
make the call in such cases and not go by the players "I'm all right".
Can never take a chance with head / injuries, the consequences are
always too much. Aka the sad case of school boy Ben Robinson.
I thought that new rules meant that anyone who got a bad knock on the head went off to be assessed by the medics. Treated much like a blood injury but if you don't pass the assessment you don't get back on. They should look at the american ice hockey set-up where players set a baseline response at the beginning of every season. Any player who has a knock and doesn't measure up to the baseline is sidelined.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Scranner wrote: They should look at the american ice hockey set-up where players set a baseline response at the beginning of every season. Any player who has a knock and doesn't measure up to the baseline is sidelined.
Is that not what they ARE doing?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:
Scranner wrote: They should look at the american ice hockey set-up where players set a baseline response at the beginning of every season. Any player who has a knock and doesn't measure up to the baseline is sidelined.
Is that not what they ARE doing?
Think they've used the pre-season baseline followed up by checks after heavy contact/suspected concussion for a few years now. The new piece is the idea of doing the assessment during the game and forcing a player to be replaced if they fail the test.

I do hope they're tightening up on the process for establishing the baseline score as part of this. I've heard that players have been in the habit of deliberately posting a low baseline to reduce the chance of failing a post-concussion test. Understandable from the point of view of a committed player who just wants to get back ouot and play - but not actually in the long-term interests of their health.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Anybody else watch the game last night?

Both sides really poor, Munster just slightly less poor than Treviso. Funny to hear the TG4 pundits talking about how Munster were "showing their attacking flair".
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Jerry Flannery was on good form. He was talking about Sherry and Varley, and how Munster had good strength in depth in the hooker positioning "considering the quality of player they lost last year!"
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ruckover wrote:Anybody else watch the game last night?

Both sides really poor, Munster just slightly less poor than Treviso. Funny to hear the TG4 pundits talking about how Munster were "showing their attacking flair".
It was poor but they won. You can't be brilliant in every game. Something which was evident from watching other matches at the weekend.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Shan wrote:
ruckover wrote:Anybody else watch the game last night?

It was poor but they won. You can't be brilliant in every game. Something which was evident from watching other matches at the weekend.
Exactly. You would say the same for us.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Munster certainly showing attacking flair tonight with 5 try's. Earles Said they are now happy off the field so will translate to on the field.

Penny creating the New Munster way?
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Zebo had a fine game in attack earning much praise from the Munsterfans which is power for the course .

But basically it proved what we already know about Zebo -- given space given time he has dangerous pace .

Without the space and without the time he can be panicked and his defence is questionable. In my book that makes him an A International at best.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I remember Neil Francis get all exercised over the fact that TG4 had the Leinster-Munster game last year.
He said something along the lines of 'They may be great commentators/analysts but no one can understand what they're saying'.
Well I hope he's brushed on his cúpla focail in the meantime because TG4 have it again this year!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I wonder how much their audience might increase if they had English on the red button
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Munster were pretty ordinary in their 30-15 defeat by the Os. The Os forwards were on top and Munster backs showed little of the flair seen in previous games.

Damien Varley was red carded for kicking AWJ when he was on the ground - a ban awaits...
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Looks like Munster may get relegated from the fair play league this year. Is it 4yellows and a red from 5 starts?
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Munster were pretty woeful this match - they had started the competitive season better than I had expected, but came a bit of a cropper here. Lightweight back row totally struggled to keep pace, scrum under pressure with Archer at 3, and ROG kept up, or rather down, his awful form at the end of last season. He was standing so deep Stringer could hardly reach him! And the Ospreys midfield was loving it, they were just strolling into the vast swathe of territory and mashing whoever ROG hospital-passed to. Penney seems to want to up the tempo and play a little more adventurous 'footy', in truth Keatley is much more the type of player he needs than ROG

Still no doubt that strange little Father Ted extra character who manages Ireland has him pencilled in for the AIs :roll:
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Munster look to be trying for a particular style of play, and Keatley fits it better.

The obvious decision would be to start Keatley and keep ROG on the bench, or if Munster were really looking to the future, JJ Hanrahan on the bench.

It'll be interesting to see how much meddling DK may do with Munster's selection over the next few games.