Ireland v Wales

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland v Wales

Post by Jackie Brown »

Kidney has to make a decision, Ferris OR O'Brien at 6. We need to play a groundhog 7, do we have one in Ireland? Jennings is past it, Wallace is injured, Henry an option. He's played brilliantly at 7 for Ulster all season.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

So barring a miracle in Paris, that's the 6N campaign over. Ulster to take Dragons on Friday?
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote:Anyway I'd like to say at this point that I am nicely confident for the game. I think we'll score some nice tries and win by a healthy margin.....20 points at least.
You on the demon drink last night Shan, 20 points ? :shock:
Just a bit. I did think we'd win though.

Poor stuff from Ireland but we still had a chance to win and threw it away.

Very disappointing. Problem now is it is hard to see us winning next week and that will be the end of this year's 6N for us, apart from the only thing left which will be to save the remaining bits of credibility by beating 3 very poor teams.

>TM >TM >TM >TM
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Low risk Rugby doesnt work like it used to especially when your best 10 for playing this type of game is on the bench.Wales could take the championship this season alright ,now we cant even win the Triple crown.GLUM
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

LOL henry ahead of ferris or SOB, I've heard it all now....

Ireland lacked anything at 12 and 13 and were generally out-muscled by a talented and powered Welsh backline. I thought Ireland may have had the edge up front but we only really got the forwards going once all game and made serious yards. Our backplay was just sideways with no-one straightening things up.

We shoukld have sneaked the win but Wales probably just about deserved it. 6N all over for Ireland. Time to develop some young players.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Watched the post match on RTE. Have to say, for once Hook talking a bit of sense.

Moanin about Irelands lack of innovation and the last thing they gave rugby was the garryowen, our lack of size, not playing a genuine 7 and Heaslip coasting.

Ive raised the point a few times now only to be shot down on here. But when we line up against a backline including 3 guys over 6'4 and 16 stone with pace to add our tiny backline is never going to cope.

Next week will be no different against Rougerie and Malzieu.

by againstthehead » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:25 pm

LOL henry ahead of ferris or SOB, I've heard it all now....
Why :scratch: . . . Clearly the Ferris/O'Brian/Heaslip combination isnt working. Time to try something else, Henry is the closest thing we really have to a 7 available.

Its not about getting the best 15 individuals on the pitch . . . its about getting the best team!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

shamalicious wrote:Actually I thought Tommy was disappointing today. Handling was quite poor. Sexton's kicking decisions cost us too.
He was poor apart from 2 moments in the game.

The only one of the backs who played well was Kearney.

In the forwards Best and Heaslip were the pick of the bunch followed by POC.

Donnacha Ryan should have been on from the start as I've said from the outset.

Ferris, SOB and Heaslip cannot play together. Kidney needs to bite the bullet here and realise doing the same thing over and over will always yield the same response. Next week we face probably the best backrow in the world include the best individual in Dusatoir. Time to be brave but the Irish way will be to do nothing and hope the French have an off day.

I thought Murray was about as good as he has been for Munster this season. In other words not good enough. He is young and inexperienced though so has an excuse at least.

Sexton was also not good enough but has less excuses.

Still it is the first game so improvement may come. It better as I already know the same team will take the pitch next Saturday with the exception of Earls coming back in assuming all is OK in his domain.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Shan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Ferris, SOB and Heaslip cannot play together. Kidney needs to bite the bullet here and realise doing the same thing over and over will always yield the same response. Next week we face probably the best backrow in the world include the best individual in Dusatoir.
Have you forgotten that New Zealand is a country in the world Shan :shock:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'd drop Heaslip out of the back row and move SOB to 8. Heaslip is the least effective of the three, but I have no idea who to play at 7. Let's not forget Wales have a superb backline. To be able to leave Hook and Byrne out for a start is a luxury. Our midfield were simply not big enough or good enough and our pack did not dominate theirs as was needed to win the match.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

fuzzylogic wrote: Watched the post match on RTE. Have to say, for once Hook talking a bit of sense.

Moanin about Irelands lack of innovation and the last thing they gave rugby was the garryowen, our lack of size, not playing a genuine 7 and Heaslip coasting.

Shows what Hook knows. Was he watching the same game as me I wonder. Heaslip coasting. F-cking 'ell he was the only one of the backrow who was even in the game.

He's right about 7 though.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote: Watched the post match on RTE. Have to say, for once Hook talking a bit of sense.

Shows what Hook knows. Was he watching the same game as me I wonder. Heaslip coasting. F-cking 'ell he was the only one of the backrow who was even in the game.

He's right about 7 though.
I didn't see much from Heaslip today Shan.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Ferris, SOB and Heaslip cannot play together. Kidney needs to bite the bullet here and realise doing the same thing over and over will always yield the same response. Next week we face probably the best backrow in the world include the best individual in Dusatoir.
No I haven't. I'd take the French backrow any day. They wolfed the NZ backrow in the WC final.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:

No I haven't. I'd take the French backrow any day. They wolfed the NZ backrow in the WC final.
Any back row that can do without Imanol Harinordoquy is either superb or coached by a mad man. I'll go with the former, but I would say Warburton is the best back row player at the moment.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: I didn't see much from Heaslip today Shan.
Made about 6 or 7 carries and never lost possession. Robbed ball about 3 or 4 times in Wally-like fashion. Stopped Welsh attackers on the gainline on numerous occasions.

Contrast with SOB who made about 3 carries losing the ball twice, giving away penalties while handling ball on the ground, not rolling away etc.

Ferris went about his work reasonably not doing anything of huge note but getting through some good work. Gave away penalty which resulted in the winning score for Wales...Harsh maybe but he knows you can't drop a guy like that.

So just like in the WC 1/4 final SOB for me the one with the most questions.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Agree SOB to then bench for me.
If we play that backrow against Dusatoir we will get the same result.

Other than Kearney and Trimlbe all of our backs were poor.
D'Arcy and Mcfadden do not deserve retaining.
Ryan must start instead of DOC

Overall though I blame the coach - I don't think I have ever agreed with George Hook so much after a game