Smoking on the Terrace

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

promsandwich
Steward

Re: Smoking on the Terrace

Post by promsandwich »

Unbelievable, I take it it is a slow news day on the UR front.

I'm an ex-smoker and have no objection to anyone smoking on either the terrace or the prom. The prom in particular is outdoors and usually reasonably windy.

If we're going to ban smoking outside maybe we should ban drinking too in case anyone gets a whiff of burpage from a drinker. And why not ban the burger van, just the other week my mate had a couple of burgers and subjected those around him to serious bouts of wind which was most unpleasant for all those in the vicinity. All this outrageous behaviour should be reported to UR and more importantly Eventsec. I'm sure if we continue in this vane we could knock at least another thousand off the numbers attending games. Good work.
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Novice

Post by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead »

I am a Terrace dweller and a smoker. I normally have a puff before the match (get there usually about a hour before kick off) and another one at half time, but never duing the actual game time. Reading the views of others I realise how inconsiderate that may be so from now on i will refrain.

I just hope the constant push past of beer carriers will afford me the same courtsey.
What's the point of a rhetorical question
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

2 words.

Cohiba.
Esplendida.

Powerful enough that the subs warming up at either end of the pitch might find themselves a bit 'wheezy'.
And now a cert to be brought along to the Dragons match.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

pwrmoore wrote:
ColinM wrote:
cables wrote:guy on a building site in open air operating a cement mixer – can he not smoke?

He could but the messy fecker probably spilt petrol all down it when filling it up, so probably shouldnt :wink:
unlikely - they're mostly diesel or electric.
Not my one
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

promsandwich wrote:Unbelievable, I take it it is a slow news day on the UR front.

I'm an ex-smoker and have no objection to anyone smoking on either the terrace or the prom. The prom in particular is outdoors and usually reasonably windy.

If we're going to ban smoking outside maybe we should ban drinking too in case anyone gets a whiff of burpage from a drinker. And why not ban the burger van, just the other week my mate had a couple of burgers and subjected those around him to serious bouts of wind which was most unpleasant for all those in the vicinity. All this outrageous behaviour should be reported to UR and more importantly Eventsec. I'm sure if we continue in this vane we could knock at least another thousand off the numbers attending games. Good work.

Really, comparing it to drinking is a bit ridiculous, unless somehow you are actually spilling your beer into other peoples mouths, in which case you are definitely not doing it right.

I was never bothered back when people smoked in pubs, but when kids are around IMHO it's completely unforgiveable. It should be banned in the stands, and only allowed in a designated area (outside the beer tent I would have thought!). Surely if even a few children don't come to the games because of smoking this is unacceptable??
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 pm

I just hope the constant push past of beer carriers will afford me the same courtsey.
Hate to admit it but i purposly knocked some Brennan holes beer over on a previous visit to Ravers. He was trying to fight his way through the top row of the terrace carrying 8 pints in those cardboard carriers! He actually walked up one walkway, fought his way across the top of the terrace and then crossed over the next walkway and disappeard into the crowd. If he had have been nice about it with the odd "sorry, excuse me" etc etc I wouldnt have a problem, but I was standing with my back to him heard him coming along, "move, move, move, move" I he deliberaty took an elbow to one of his beer carrying hands!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Hate to admit it but i purposly knocked some ar$e holes beer over on a previous visit to Ravers. He was trying to fight his way through the top row of the terrace carrying 8 pints in those cardboard carriers! He actually walked up one walkway, fought his way across the top of the terrace and then crossed over the next walkway and disappeard into the crowd. If he had have been nice about it with the odd "sorry, excuse me" etc etc I wouldnt have a problem, but I was standing with my back to him heard him coming along, "move, move, move, move" I he deliberaty took an elbow to one of his beer carrying hands!
You bar steward
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

ridiculous, unless somehow you are actually spilling your beer into other peoples mouths, in which case you are definitely not doing it right.
I think ridiculous if the right word. I would find it difficult to believe that anyone was actually blowing smoke into this child's mouth, which would be comparable to spilling beer directly into his mouth, as opposed to the smell and/or second hand smoke from a nearby smoker.

If you're going to make such dumb a@@ points I would suggest you wind your neck in.....or go crying to Eventsec. >#
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

If you can show me any evidence of the effect of drinking beer near others then Id love to see it. There is no question that smoking effects those children around you, fact-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20564879
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20587681

As I said, I have no problem with being exposed to it myselfif I chose to go somewhere people smoke, I just dont think its right that children are, and a smoking area is an easy solution (I would probably end up there with my friends who smoke!)
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

A smoking area inside the ground is a terrible idea.

If your standing beside one smoker, you are always free to leave and stand somewere else.

Standing down wind of one smoker is also fine, but you lump 20 or 30 smokers together all puffing away at one time and your down wind of that everyone for 50 yards is going to be inhaling it!
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Sorry, to clarify, meant asmoking area within the grounds, but not pitchside (ie you would have to leave the game to have a smoke).

Fair point tho, would make a big cloud!
Last edited by Eggs on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

fuzzylogic wrote:A smoking area inside the ground is a terrible idea.

If your standing beside one smoker, you are always free to leave and stand somewere else.

Standing down wind of one smoker is also fine, but you lump 20 or 30 smokers together all puffing away at one time and your down wind of that everyone for 50 yards is going to be inhaling it!
Are you aware of the air pollution from the operation of engines at Ravenhill fuzzy?

If so, can you say if smoking or pollution from operating engines causes more air pollution?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by cables » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:12 am

Are you aware of the air pollution from the operation of engines at Ravenhill fuzzy?

If so, can you say if smoking or pollution from operating engines causes more air pollution?
Well considering I see so few smokers at ravers im going to hazard a guess and say the engines.

But whats your point anyway cables?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I happen to have a medical condition where (I believe) air quality is detected by my body and I get an 'alert signal'. I observe this close to operating engines and hairsprays (not the Ospreys kind).

I observe this from the operation of engines each time I attend Ravenhill. I do not observe similar when standing close to 3/4 (or more) people smoking at the same time.

I may add that I do not observe this when smoking myself either indoors or outdoors.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

ummm . . . . . ok

whats that got to do with me saying a smoking area isnt a good idea?