Ireland 7s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: Ireland 7s

Post by Dublin4 »

They beat USA 17 14 so last match is v NZ for 5th place.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:16 pm They beat USA 17 14 so last match is v NZ for 5th place.
You have to ask. What is the feckin point?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:11 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:16 pm They beat USA 17 14 so last match is v NZ for 5th place.
It's fun. It's like playing in the park.

Sport doesn't need any other reason, in fact, it's better when there's no other reason.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Dupont was simply sensational in the final.
The Messi and Ronaldo comparisons may be overdone but he is an incredible player.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:28 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:11 pm
It's fun. It's like playing in the park.

Sport doesn't need any other reason, in fact, it's better when there's no other reason.
I doubt if the likes of Dupont and Keenan went for the crack. I accept that the Olympics is probably the only occasion when a 3rd place playoff is actually justified but the other losers games seem a tad superfluous especially when they'd all been eliminated before the games had formily started. The opening ceremony must have been incredibly flat for the 7s team.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

I believe it’s a full time occupation, so say twenty players and support staff , crazy investment, hope it’s cut and money put into club game .
Available for weddings May to August only
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I think the 7s programme is mainly state funded being aimed at the Olympics.
The players are on money that's a long way short of what the 15s players would earn.
Keenan was an unusual cross over. Now that rugby fans like myself have seen it in action there may well be more interest.
I can't see the IRFU giving up on the 7s for the foreseeable future. They will probably be encouraged by Sport Ireland and NI Sport to continue it.
GB didn't qualify for the men's interestingly.
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

Dupont was something special wasn't he!
I know I'm a voice crying in the wilderness and I know it was probably inevitable, but as soon as the Olympics allowed professional athletes, it lost its soul. All tennis teams? All golfers? Do we really need them to have another tournament?
Surely there must be an argument for making some sports amateur or, at least, say, under 23. The footballers have some sort of restriction don't they?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:23 pm Dupont was something special wasn't he!
I know I'm a voice crying in the wilderness and I know it was probably inevitable, but as soon as the Olympics allowed professional athletes, it lost its soul. All tennis teams? All golfers? Do we really need them to have another tournament?
Surely there must be an argument for making some sports amateur or, at least, say, under 23. The footballers have some sort of restriction don't they?
I think professionalism was inevitable. I watched the recent docs on Daley Thompson and Linford Christie and their considerable achievements were as a result of living on the dole for most of their careers.

I do think that a sport should only be in the Olympics if that represents the absolute pinnacle of that sport, so certainly no golf or tennis.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:01 pm Dupont was simply sensational in the final.
The Messi and Ronaldo comparisons may be overdone but he is an incredible player.
Reminds me considerably more of Maradona without the coke.

He’s awesome.
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:39 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:01 pm Dupont was simply sensational in the final.
Reminds me considerably more of Maradona without the coke.

He’s awesome.
He's still no George Best. :D
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Or Tom Finney.
Bobbievee
Warrior Assassin

Post by Bobbievee »

Why do 7s players delay in grounding the ball behind the try line? Even teams behind do it!!
Habit?
I did it once at inter school 7s …………and got a bollicking from the referee for being disrespectful!!
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Bobbievee wrote:Why do 7s players delay in grounding the ball behind the try line? Even teams behind do it!!
Habit?
I did it once at inter school 7s …………and got a bollicking from the referee for being disrespectful!!
To tire the opposition?
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Bobbievee
Warrior Assassin

Post by Bobbievee »

By making them amble another 20 metres?! 😂😂