Leinster v Ulster Sat 8 June @ 5pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 8 June @ 5pm

Post by thecrouch »

I think we played well to be honest. Losing Izuchukwu was the killer blow given we had a very callow bench, I don't think the players gave up but I do think they realised once he went off that our day was done. Let's be realistic, we were up against a mega money pack today, pretty much the Ireland pack, and we had Greg Jones playing for most of the game. No insult to Greg Jones but this is not his level.

I think everything that happened from the 20th minute onward has to be framed in the context of how many injuries we have right now.

Sheridan and McCann were excellent. I particularly liked Sheridan leaving a bit on Doris just before half time when Doris was being a tool in the maul, been a long time since we've had a forward willing to push those boundaries. Doris straight over whinging to the ref after like a big minge >seeya .

Izzy was causing big problems before he went off, would have liked to see him play longer.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

For all the talk pre game about Ulster lacking power, I don't think that was the case. Particularly when Izuchukwu was on. Swapping him for Greg Jones was seismic down grade. Still fired them back at times and punched holes. We couldn't cope with their speed of hands at times but other moments had them contained. Not for long. I think Richie has a massive task instilling basics and tackling technique. Green shoots for next season.

We must be sourcing a loose head from somewhere. Hopefully get Marty fit. Hendy, he isn't capable of an injury free run but hopefully. It's annoying to see Addison play so well but he will get injured again, I suspect. Kok will be huge for us. He would relish this type of encounter.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

End of another season. Definite reasons to be positive about the future, but we also lost another knock out game, this time by 23 points, which was 10 more than the spread and 20 more than that which the same team beat us by in a 2019 quarter final knock out. The more things change, the more they stay the same? D4 arrogance and patronising pats on the head will continue.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

A word for Greg Jones yesterday. Probably didn't expect to play, came on after 19 mins and kept busy the whole game. Topped Ulster's tackle charts. Good game to sign off on.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:48 am For all the talk pre game about Ulster lacking power, I don't think that was the case. Particularly when Izuchukwu was on. Swapping him for Greg Jones was seismic down grade. Still fired them back at times and punched holes. We couldn't cope with their speed of hands at times but other moments had them contained. Not for long. I think Richie has a massive task instilling basics and tackling technique. Green shoots for next season.

We must be sourcing a loose head from somewhere. Hopefully get Marty fit. Hendy, he isn't capable of an injury free run but hopefully. It's annoying to see Addison play so well but he will get injured again, I suspect. Kok will be huge for us. He would relish this type of encounter.
Loose and tight head are our significant weaknesses. Wilson is 21 and will get there, but in a few years. Moore I don't trust due to injury fitness and age. TOT is not a destructive scrummaging TH, despite his caps and struggles against good Loosies. He's back up 3 for Ireland because there's currently no one else, and has the loose game Farrell wants. You'd fear for him against SAs pack. He's already had his wings from Nche. ( Jager may usurp him, although hes benched for Archer :lol: )
If Murphy and indeed Farrell had any sense they'd be investing significant time on Wilson in the gym, on the Rhino and at the army barbers. He has a much higher ceiling than TOT. Got minced by Healey on the first scrum yesterday, then kept him straight and honest on the second/ thereafter.

Loose, we are in trouble- EOS is a poor man's TOT, AW is not the future, nor Reid who is a serial hinger. None are above mid URC level. We did well to hang on yesterday given a much reduced Row, and bringing the likes of Jones on instead of bolstering the row with Ewers bulk. These all make a difference. Jones also too light to significantly support his prop and keep him straight.

With Hendo and O'connor available yesterday, that pack wouldve caused Ladies a lot more trouble. Settled back five with Issy at 6 and the outcome less predictable.

Still, proud in manner if the defeat, despite some self inflicted wounds, and lack of yellows from Brace distorting the score, there wouldn't have been a 23 point win, maybe 10.
Some of the Ladies should be nervous about the Lions tour. Players like Underhill ( magnificent Gerry Collins like performance yesterday) will seriously challenge any Farrell Leinster bias. Ryan is NOT a lion.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

shamalicious wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:24 am A word for Greg Jones yesterday. Probably didn't expect to play, came on after 19 mins and kept busy the whole game. Topped Ulster's tackle charts. Good game to sign off on.
Sham, lies, damned lies and statistics :thumleft: How many were destructive or just wrap around? contrast with the starting back row who nailed their men and more often drove back? For me the guy who deserves most kudos for tackling; Lowrys bravery and technique outstanding ; exhibit a- nailing Doris on the touchline.
Addison not far behind.

Jones and Rea were what we knew we'd get. In fairness Rea especially more combative- both playing for contracts elsewhere no doubt. Id rather have seen Crothers McNabney or the other young back rowers we have who haven't let us down when they've appeared. That game was maybe made for Reffell. My heart doesnt sink when I see them on the teamsheet.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Marco wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:47 am End of another season. Definite reasons to be positive about the future, but we also lost another knock out game, this time by 23 points, which was 10 more than the spread and 20 more than that which the same team beat us by in a 2019 quarter final knock out. The more things change, the more they stay the same? D4 arrogance and patronising pats on the head will continue.
I despise the arrogance and entitlement down there. They've nothing to crow about beating an Ulster team bereft of probably 5 starters in the pack and 2/3 in the backs, plus many guys around the 20_23 age bracket, and who asked serious questions, especially in areas of supposed strength around the back row and attacking prowess.

As an aside, I've criticised Mcilroy in the past for lack of pace and technique, but he played well yesterday, where his elusive side step actually suited a lot of the congested midfield mire and he was able to pick holes and create gaps. Nice link up and vision with Moore for the try as well >clapping
Maybe he's suited for certain games?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

We all know jones isn't what we need going forward but he deserves credit for his role yesterday. He kept the lineout functioning through good calling and made his tackles with some excellent chop work notable on Mccarthy who it is stupid to try and smash. While the final scoreline wasn't kind there was enough to take from the performance for the squad to come back after a break with massive excitement and enthusiasm to kick on. We end the season in a much better mental state than we started which is a huge positive given the upheaval experienced.
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

I thought Herring was great, as were McCann, Sheridan, Timoney and Izzy. Not far behind were the much derided Rea and Jones who did OK for a lightweight backrower. Props also OK. Behind the scrum only Lowry and Addison played well.
Moore was dreadful - the only thing he caught all day was Stockdale. Stu looks done. Nos 9 and 10 were average at best. I’d love to see Lowry have a go at scrum half
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Sir Ivor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:10 am I thought Herring was great, as were McCann, Sheridan, Timoney and Izzy. Not far behind were the much derided Rea and Jones who did OK for a lightweight backrower. Props also OK. Behind the scrum only Lowry and Addison played well.
Moore was dreadful - the only thing he caught all day was Stockdale. Stu looks done. Nos 9 and 10 were average at best. I’d love to see Lowry have a go at scrum half
I thought Herring outshone Sheehan tbf. Stu didn't look fully fit, which we suspected. Sadly agree ref Moore- potentially another Stu Olding but was poor. He needs worked on- nearly butchered McIlroys kick chase by being marginally offside- the only thing Brace gave us all day.
Stockers was pretty decent I thought. Centres both good; Lowry the pick defo. Cooney vs JGP I called a draw.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Of the forwards, Herring and Izzy excellent. Shame Izzy had to go off. What might have been! Sheridan, Timoney and McCann all played well and put themselves about. Rea not as noticeable as against the Turnips but did ok. Jones better than expected but far too lightweight for the opposition. EOS and TOT under pressure and didn’t show up as much in the loose as hoped. Stewart, Warwick, Wilson and Ewers didn’t have much impact which was disappointing. But then they were playing the Irish international pack plus international level or experienced bench.
Of the backs, Lowry was excellent. As others have said his tackle technique for a small guy is quality. Stockdale, McCloskey and Addison all played well - invariably made ground, made life difficult for them opponents. Cooney and Burns have both had better games but did ok. Moore missed tackles and seemed a bit off the pace - he is a better player than he showed yesterday, just a pity he had an off-day on such an occasion. McIlroy played well. Doak and Postlethwaite were hardly on long enough to rate.
I wasn’t expecting them to win and feared they might get pumped. Thought they did ok considering the raft of injuries and given the opposition. They didn’t roll over, they kept going, and they played with pride and spirit. That’s all I ask of them at this stage in their development. And if the ref had given a penalty try and/or a yellow card just before half-time the result might have been a lot closer. Looking forward to next season. Season ticket renewed.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:52 am We all know jones isn't what we need going forward but he deserves credit for his role yesterday. He kept the lineout functioning through good calling and made his tackles with some excellent chop work notable on Mccarthy who it is stupid to try and smash. While the final scoreline wasn't kind there was enough to take from the performance for the squad to come back after a break with massive excitement and enthusiasm to kick on. We end the season in a much better mental state than we started which is a huge positive given the upheaval experienced.
Let’s not get carried away, he missed a bad tackle which led to a Leinster try and was physically outmuscled and outclassed.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Sir Ivor wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:10 am I thought Herring was great, as were McCann, Sheridan, Timoney and Izzy. Not far behind were the much derided Rea and Jones who did OK for a lightweight backrower. Props also OK. Behind the scrum only Lowry and Addison played well.
I thought Cooney was slow and ponderous at the back of the breakdown. His firm is up and down, but given his age that should be no surprise.

Billy was Billy.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:05 am
Marco wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:47 am End of another season. Definite reasons to be positive about the future, but we also lost another knock out game, this time by 23 points, which was 10 more than the spread and 20 more than that which the same team beat us by in a 2019 quarter final knock out. The more things change, the more they stay the same? D4 arrogance and patronising pats on the head will continue.
I despise the arrogance and entitlement down there. They've nothing to crow about beating an Ulster team bereft of probably 5 starters in the pack and 2/3 in the backs, plus many guys around the 20_23 age bracket, and who asked serious questions, especially in areas of supposed strength around the back row and attacking prowess.

As an aside, I've criticised Mcilroy in the past for lack of pace and technique, but he played well yesterday, where his elusive side step actually suited a lot of the congested midfield mire and he was able to pick holes and create gaps. Nice link up and vision with Moore for the try as well >clapping
I agree Ciman they are an arrogant shower and it would turn you into a Bulls supporter.
I spent a pleasant day at Wembley yesterday honouring the memory of Rob Burrow. Rob was a man who could have taught the Leinster fans a lesson on humility.
It was a lovely day out and the Wigan and Warrington supporters were a joy to chat to. And it was pleasant not to hear a D4 accent for the afternoon.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:06 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:05 am

I agree Ciman they are an arrogant shower and it would turn you into a Bulls supporter.
I spent a pleasant day at Wembley yesterday honouring the memory of Rob Burrow. Rob was a man who could have taught the Leinster fans a lesson on humility.
It was a lovely day out and the Wigan and Warrington supporters were a joy to chat to. And it was pleasant not to hear a D4 accent for the afternoon.
Would have loved to have seen Rob Burrows playing union. He had a fantastic skill set.

Used to be a regular at Knowsley Rd in my student days so not overjoyed at the result but great to see the respect shown >appl
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall