Leinster v Ulster Sat 8 June @ 5pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Hans Indaruck
Squire

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 8 June @ 5pm

Post by Hans Indaruck »

That performance against an international 15 and a homer ref gives of a good modicum of hope for the future!
Hope is not a strategy.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:50 pm He didn't want to card Doris there but that is the clearest yellow you will ever see. Maul going forward and he changes his bind to collapse it. Penalty try also.
Should have been Penalty Try and yellow card, but he gives just a penalty.

We go again, they infringe again, should have been Yellow card, but again just a penalty.

Finally near half time he warns them that next infringement is a yellow card, and straight from the kick-off they infringe 10m out, but the warnin was forgotten about.

Wonder what difference it might have made had we started the second half 17-7 down and playing against 14, rather than 17-0 and against 15?

Probably none in the end, but all I want is a level playing field as regard the referee.

I'm open to correction, but I don't think there was an offside in the whole game, but Leinster backline were offside several times in the first half especially.

Obviously the offside law was having a day off today - one less thing for Brace to think about.

In general, I think Brace is a decent international referee, but I do despair when I see his name down for Lenister v Ulster. It's almost as though he's already bought into the media assumption that Leinster will win, what just has to be decided is by how much.

Then again I probably bought into a Leinster win beforehand too - most people did, but at least I didn't do anything to make that more likely.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Losing I can take, plucky defeats I cannot. That was not a plucky defeat.

We out boxed the heavy weight, if that had of been a pound for pound fight we win that.

Very much looking forward to see what Ulster side comes out of the traps come September after Murphy has put this squad through a pre season.

Proud Ulsterman today :red:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Good outing from the lads, plenty of spirit shown.

The injuries racked up in the end. Bringing on Greg for someone like Izzy who has been playing out of his skin, shows the lack of depth we had, but we all knew that beforehand anyone.

Big Stu looked out on his feet after 60mins. Not sure if he was carrying a knock but definitely didn't look his usual self.

3 individual errors cost us 3 tries. On a different day, things may have been different, especially if the pen try was awarded.

But all in all, fairly optimistic about our future :thumright:
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

In many ways, considering how many we had missing, that was the best performance of the season.
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Green shoots tonight. Ref was a joke.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

thecrouch wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:46 pm Green shoots tonight. Ref was a joke.
While not directly related to the referee, Byrne and Ryan’s reaction to the Addison penalty is why I find it impossible to wish Leinster well in Europe or for the remainder of the competition. I accept it was a penalty but the main impact was caused by Byrne bracing for the impact rather than any intention by Addison. Byrne’s reaction was a joke as was Ryan’s attempt to follow up with the referee to query if a penalty was sufficient.

I’d contrast the above to a clean out from Herring which looked questionable but him and Henshaw shook hands and played on. No attempt to get a TMO check from Henshaw and exactly the sort of respect I’d look for in both an interpro and between two players who played together in a green jersey.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Last train back is interesting.

Four from Dungannon thrown off at Drogheda including a ten year old. GAA bunch.

We’ve been stuck here for ages due to a medical emergency.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Finally, we’re moving…
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

richardt84 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:07 pm
thecrouch wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:46 pm Green shoots tonight. Ref was a joke.
While not directly related to the referee, Byrne and Ryan’s reaction to the Addison penalty is why I find it impossible to wish Leinster well in Europe or for the remainder of the competition. I accept it was a penalty but the main impact was caused by Byrne bracing for the impact rather than any intention by Addison. Byrne’s reaction was a joke as was Ryan’s attempt to follow up with the referee to query if a penalty was sufficient.

I’d contrast the above to a clean out from Herring which looked questionable but him and Henshaw shook hands and played on. No attempt to get a TMO check from Henshaw and exactly the sort of respect I’d look for in both an interpro and between two players who played together in a green jersey.
Who cares about wishing them well? I hope the Bulls batter them tbh. And if the Bulls don’t do I hope Munster get the job done.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Very soft pen that.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Was Moore not in front of the kicker for his try? Was it checked?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:36 pm Was Moore not in front of the kicker for his try? Was it checked?
No idea, but see some of the Leinster ones gunning about it w.r.t. poor refereeing. They notice that and none of the litany of things that went against us. Not long in to the second half, Brace missed a knock on, but they showed a replay in the stadium and he changed his mind. They weren't so quick to put the replays up when things went wrong the other way. Makes you wonder if refs should be allowed to change decisions as a result of in stadium replays.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Was Moore not in front of the kicker for his try? Was it checked?
It was checked but wasn't a very conclusive angle. Not clear and obvious he was in front of the ball.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

No referee is a joke i long ago stopped judging referees for what they give but on what they fail to give .

Not to sure about the penalty try to be honest few referees would award one in those circumstances a yellow card would be the common general call. especially the second offence in the line out.

i see some pointing fingers at Moore for Lowes second after half time basically it was a fluke of a foot by lowe and most like Moore would be lining for a tackle rather than going for the ball if chasing across field at a player already in position to catch the ball.

Leinster's box kicking was on the spot 9.9 times out of 10 with the defender under pressure and the result was Stockdale going for an early shower and some dental work.

In those circumstances I consider Moore had a reasonable outing

Ulster's troubles started before the kick-off really because there was a lack of depth on the bench when compared to leinster and the team knew that realising they were going to have to play harder and last longer than the leinster 15 at kick off. the trouble then got compounded with forwards having to subbed or treated on the pitch and the treatment time possible benefiting leinster more than Ulster.

It will be Interesting to see who get called into the training camp and go for the summer games.

Farrell is well aware that some current Irish players won't be there at the next world cup and while keeping world ranking looks good it may come at a price.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist