Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

allezlesverres
Initiate

Re: Contract Situation

Post by allezlesverres »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 pm The former Springbok legend and Toyota Cheetah captain, Ruan Pienaar, will take the first steps in his coaching career when he officially joins the Free State u.21 and Toyota Academy coaching staff as the new backline and attack coach.

Pienaar will still play for the Toyota Cheetahs in the SA Cup, whereafter he will hang up his playing boots to move to a full-time coaching position.

Pienaar not coming North for the time being.
I was sort of hoping he could do that sort of role for us. Attack coach plus a handful of games at 9 (to babysit a young 10) or 10 (to babysit a young 9 or just cos he'd be the best choice for big games). Too much to hope for I suppose. Kind of desperate too considering he is very much past his best and we'd still bite your arm off for him
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

New deal for Stu up to end of 2027. Wonder what the fellas who were in the know about his desperation to leave last year make of this
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Obviously speaks volumes in his faith in the new coaching set up and the change in atmosphere. I was thinking of a few players we maybe lost early due to previous coaching setup - Rob Lyttle especially, cracking wee player..
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Great to hear re Stu.

If Dan thought RL didn’t have what it takes to be a pro rugby player, he’s hardly been proved wrong.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Nor has he been proved right. Agree with Silverstu that it would have been fascinating to see RL under the new coaching regime
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:19 pm Great to hear re Stu.

If Dan thought RL didn’t have what it takes to be a pro rugby player, he’s hardly been proved wrong.
Rob Lyttle rarely put a foot wrong in his limited appearances for Ulster. And wasn't indulged like some under Dan. Regular try scorer, hard working and a brave tackler. Lower ceiling than Balacoune but unlike RB, made the most of his underutilised talent. Also one of the best place kickers in the club. Given the constrained pecuniary conditions we're under, we'd have been better offloading some higher earners.
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

flatpass wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:44 pm Nor has he been proved right. Agree with Silverstu that it would have been fascinating to see RL under the new coaching regime
Really?

The lad has given up the sport at 26 to produce kids and breed cows, or is it the other way around?

42 starts in 7 years. A bit part player albeit a decent one for sure.

I’d rather RM concentrated on players whose heart was in it.
UlsterAreBrill
Squire

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:01 pm
flatpass wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:44 pm Nor has he been proved right. Agree with Silverstu that it would have been fascinating to see RL under the new coaching regime
Really?

The lad has given up the sport at 26 to produce kids and breed cows, or is it the other way around?

42 starts in 7 years. A bit part player albeit a decent one for sure.

I’d rather RM concentrated on players whose heart was in it.
Nonsense.
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

Sheridan extension now, signed until 2027 also.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Another busy year re contract renewals - the below list is coaches / players with their current deals up next Summer (if I have made any errors, let me know).

Jonny Bell, Andrew Warwick, Callum Reid, Rob Herring, John Andrew, James McCormick, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson, Nick Timoney, David McCann, John Cooney, Conor McKee, James Humphreys, Stewart Moore, Robert Baloucoune, Ethan McIlroy, Ben Moxham, Michael Lowry, Aaron Sexton, Jacob Stockdale
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster Rugby can confirm that prop, Corrie Barrett, has signed a deal with the province until the end of the season.

Having joined up with the Senior Men’s squad for pre-season, Barrett has made appearances in the province’s pre-season friendlies against Benetton and Exeter Chiefs.

A former Schools’ Cup winner with Royal Belfast Academical Institution in 2015/16, Barrett started playing club rugby for Instonians RFC.

The prop, who can play on either side of the scrum, has previously been involved in the Ulster Rugby pathway, having played for Ulster U19s and Ulster ‘A’ before.