team ? for Benetton

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: team ? for Benetton

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:37 pm Sexton looked a bit out of sorts for a good while before he went off
He has been tucking into the calories for sure, much bigger than I remember, maybe a click less pace about him, I guess it's about striking the balance somewhere for 15s rugby.

Maybe adjusting to his new body.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Just me or have we some big young lumps? McNabney, Brigg, McKillop, Irvine. Of course it takes more that size, but a big rig to work with certainly helps.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Pimpmac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:26 pm
solidarity wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:41 pm Not impressed with Telfer. Seemed to be badly out of condition.

After half time I was going to put my season on 'We buy any season ticket' but they did better in the last quarter so I'll probably just keep it.

Interesting as I see he got MOM…you must know something different to those making that call. He looks in good nick in the pics I’ve seen of him. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
Surprised Humphreys didn't get MotM! :shock:

Tis the Ulster way. :fleg:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Watched the game on YouTube this afternoon (Thanks Armalig for the link), standard pre-season fare. Charging £7.50 for that......

Bath Munster was on Bath's Tiktok Channel and Saints Leinster yesterday was streamed on the Saint's YouTube Channel.
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:08 pm Just me or have we some big young lumps? McNabney, Brigg, McKillop, Irvine. Of course it takes more that size, but a big rig to work with certainly helps.
Yes, I thought that myself. All else being equal, bigger is better than smaller.

Has Lowry put on a pound or two as well?
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

My few thougshs were that Barrett did ok but if he's to stay after his trial will need to get his fitness up, Reffell is a gem if he can stay fit at all and although very early days Doak seemed to be getting the ball away a lot sharper than his norm, helped out Morgan who looks like he can certainly play a bit
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Morgan likes to play on the gainline which is a must for teams who lack the bulk to crash it up. You can see the gameplan of hitting runners off short passes in midfield hoping for line breaks.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:50 am Morgan likes to play on the gainline which is a must for teams who lack the bulk to crash it up. You can see the gameplan of hitting runners off short passes in midfield hoping for line breaks.

What’s his tactical kicking like?

Ulster had to rely too much on the scumhalfs box kicking since Jackson left because Burns hadn’t the distance in his tactical punts.
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

Big-al wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:56 am
jean valjean wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:50 am Morgan likes to play on the gainline which is a must for teams who lack the bulk to crash it up. You can see the gameplan of hitting runners off short passes in midfield hoping for line breaks.

Ulster had to rely too much on the scumhalfs box kicking since Jackson left because Burns hadn’t the distance in his tactical punts.
Hard to know yet, he was taking the kicks to touch and got decent length on them. Including tricky enough effort to the 5m from the shadow of the posts.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

DodgyEverything wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:14 am My few thougshs were that Barrett did ok but if he's to stay after his trial will need to get his fitness up, Reffell is a gem if he can stay fit at all and although very early days Doak seemed to be getting the ball away a lot sharper than his norm, helped out Morgan who looks like he can certainly play a bit
Agree ref Reffell. Hugely underrated groundhog/ tackle machine.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:20 pm
Pimpmac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:26 pm
solidarity wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:41 pm Not impressed with Telfer. Seemed to be badly out of condition.

After half time I was going to put my season on 'We buy any season ticket' but they did better in the last quarter so I'll probably just keep it.

Interesting as I see he got MOM…you must know something different to those making that call. He looks in good nick in the pics I’ve seen of him. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
Surprised Humphreys didn't get MotM! :shock:

Tis the Ulster way. :fleg:
Does he tackle like his dad or uncle? .... :duck:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

DodgyEverything wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:02 am

Hard to know yet, he was taking the kicks to touch and got decent length on them. Including tricky enough effort to the 5m from the shadow of the posts.
He should be used to kicking in rain and wind tho
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
DodgyEverything wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:02 am

He should be used to kicking in rain and wind tho
He had a good long kick down the middle of the pitch which showed 2 elements, he had the foresight to see where the space was in the backfield and was also able to execute it. I don't think I ever saw Billy kick the ball down the field that wasn't a dink.

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:22 pm
DodgyEverything wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:14 am My few thougshs were that Barrett did ok but if he's to stay after his trial will need to get his fitness up, Reffell is a gem if he can stay fit at all and although very early days Doak seemed to be getting the ball away a lot sharper than his norm, helped out Morgan who looks like he can certainly play a bit
Agree ref Reffell. Hugely underrated groundhog/ tackle machine.
He’s not the biggest, but if ulster. An out big lumps like McKillop, mcnabney and McCann next to him in the backrow then he could get a lot of caps over the next decade.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Just me or have we some big young lumps? McNabney, Brigg, McKillop, Irvine. Of course it takes more that size, but a big rig to work with certainly helps.
I read an article saying we rank 5th out of all URC sides for weight/height. Hopefully not all blubber but prime ribeye fast twitch muscle Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?