team ? for Benetton

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: team ? for Benetton

Post by justinr73 »

About 6 framed shirts.

Only one for Borthwick.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

£7.50! Wind your neck in

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

TheBoat wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:24 pm £7.50! Wind your neck in

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Is that Ulster’s transfer budget?
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Not a bad first hit out. Looked rusty at times as expected but generally tried to keep the ball alive which was positive.

Scrum - a few penalties went each way, Reid and Wilson put in some good carries and won a couple of pens, Andrew put a great offload in for first try but lineout was a little shaky in the first half, seemed to be better in second half with McCormick. EOS and Barrett solid without being spectacular. Walker didn’t really get on for long enough to judge.

Sheridan put himself about as always, Treadwell was solid, AOC looked physical and came on and stole a 5m lineout immediately, Irvine also looks to have potential.

Starting BR of McNabney, Reffell and McCann was strong, Reffell especially has an unbelievable engine. Marcus Rea seemed to come on at Number 8 which was interesting, Brigg made some good carries and McKillop showed lovely hands to set up Postlethwaites try.

At 9, Ulster probably looked most dangerous with Shanahan in his brief cameo, though Doak played well too and McKee’s box kicks were decent.

Morgan is definitely an attacking minded 10, took the ball flat to the line well and made some brave carries and tackles, however we did struggle to get past the gain line at times and I think we’ll need to be smart about how we attack against against bigger teams. Humphreys threw a couple of nice passes and hit a brilliant kick down the touchline which was unlucky not to be a 50/22. Murphy didn’t get too long to show what he could do.

Postlethwaite and Moore both played the full 80 I think and looked busy, Postlethwaite especially was very good and took his try well. Carson came on and also put himself about, plenty of involvements.

Sexton looked sharp, nearly got back to stop Benettons first try but would’ve liked to see him more involved in attack. Telfer took his try well. Lowry had to go back in the tunnel at kick off cos he forgot to bring out the mascots but he improved from there, and set up the first try well! Zac Ward didn’t get much of a chance to open up, but looked solid.

Overall a decent hit out and a nice win to cap it off, Benetton made us work for it but it’s minutes in the tank and something to build on - we weren’t excellent but we weren’t awful either! Onwards and upwards!!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Benetton are a good side with lots of depth.

Italy have had a few good underage sides now and most of them belong to the Benetton club.

A good result to start pre-season.
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

Not impressed with Telfer. Seemed to be badly out of condition.

After half time I was going to put my season on 'We buy any season ticket' but they did better in the last quarter so I'll probably just keep it.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically that was look see game assessing youth and depth ensuring that all the squad get a run out before the start of the season . The team next week will be closer to the match 23
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

I paid the £7.50 to watch the match - the main view was from one camera position with some close ups. The bright sun and the long distance view did not help in identifying players but that is what commentators are for and unfortunately they were a bit of a joke. The main commentator knew only about half of the Ulster players - Stu knew a few more, but as for saying who had the ball or made a tackle (basic commentating) I knew as little as they did. They seemed to spend most time in juvenile “banter”.
As far as I could see the standout players were Refell and Lowry in the first half and in the second half, the second row pair and Carson.
Not sure that the friendly achieved much.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Like most supporters I was interested to see how 'bad' our front five was and how 'good' our backrow was. Needless to say our front five were not that bad and our backrow were not that good. Thoroughly enjoyed the stream. Normally when I am 'home' I would pay 20 quid to stand and watch. With the stream I get to see the match for 7.50 and can can rewatch at any time. The 'wind yer nock in' brigade should 'wise up'. Lovely to see Ravenhill in the blazing sunshine !
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

solidarity wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:41 pm Not impressed with Telfer. Seemed to be badly out of condition.

After half time I was going to put my season on 'We buy any season ticket' but they did better in the last quarter so I'll probably just keep it.

Interesting as I see he got MOM…you must know something different to those making that call. He looks in good nick in the pics I’ve seen of him. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Pimpmac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:26 pm
solidarity wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:41 pm Not impressed with Telfer. Seemed to be badly out of condition.

Interesting as I see he got MOM…you must know something different to those making that call. He looks in good nick in the pics I’ve seen of him. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
We all see the game through our own eyes, that is what makes the debates great. I did think Telfer handled himself well.

In other news, whatever about our new outhalf Aidan Morgan, he can make a tackle, cut Ratave in two in a one on one with a very technically sound tackle, took the legs of the big Fijian right from under him, for a try saver.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

What was Willie Faloons involvement last night?

Will he be announced as part of the coaching panel, or just involved due to the amount of Academy players.....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Sir Ivor wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:37 am I paid the £7.50 to watch the match - the main view was from one camera position with some close ups. The bright sun and the long distance view did not help in identifying players but that is what commentators are for and unfortunately they were a bit of a joke. The main commentator knew only about half of the Ulster players - Stu knew a few more, but as for saying who had the ball or made a tackle (basic commentating) I knew as little as they did. They seemed to spend most time in juvenile “banter”.
As far as I could see the standout players were Refell and Lowry in the first half and in the second half, the second row pair and Carson.
Not sure that the friendly achieved much.
Relax, it was warm up match to build match fitness
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:40 pm
Pimpmac wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:26 pm

We all see the game through our own eyes, that is what makes the debates great. I did think Telfer handled himself well.

In other news, whatever about our new outhalf Aidan Morgan, he can make a tackle, cut Ratave in two in a one on one with a very technically sound tackle, took the legs of the big Fijian right from under him, for a try saver.
... in the eye of the beholder.
I did like the looks of Morgan.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Sexton looked a bit out of sorts for a good while before he went off
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall