Squad depth 2024/25

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior Assassin

Re: Squad depth 2024/25

Post by Bobbievee »

Apart from anything else, as to whether Zac makes it as a 15s Ulster player, I would have loved him to get an Olympic medal......just as a fellow Ulsterman rugby player. And Ireland were close. I am convinced that in the restart near the end of the Fiji game there was both a knock off n and/or a forward pass.....leading to their killer blow try. Not reviewed.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

chunky wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:04 pm What age was Chris Henry when he finally broke out of AIL into an Ulster regular?
2008/09 season so he would have just turned 24
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

:fleg:
UlsterAreBrill wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:21 pm
Jetstream wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:47 pm In fairness he is a good player. Good luck to him.
Talent will only take you so far if the attitude isn’t there

A good player at 7s agreed but means nothing in 15 especially as a forward. Balacoune and Keenan (both back 3 players) are the only ones off the top of my head who have done it successfully for Ireland.

He’s a good AIL 1A/B player at best, is the best compliment I’d give him. Happy for him to prove us wrong, but can’t see Ulster picking him up again especially with a lot of younger back row players coming through
Nick Timoney.....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

yes there are players who are better suited for 7s but big BUT it is more true of 7s backs than forwards they find it hard to adjust to the 15 game because 7s backs are seldom restricted by position in 7s.

Zac appears to be more a back row/ second row rather than a wing like Timoney his best position could be 8.

Who would want to be in an Academy playing a possible game here or there either in England or URC when you can travel the world playing playing 7s for a couple of years the choice is a no brainer .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
The_Nose_Knows
Novice

Post by The_Nose_Knows »

would there be merit in the URC entering other teams in the anglowelsh cup? reserve sides from each province, talking a minimum 3 additional games a season against reserve premiership and championship sides

Would allow a better chance for fringe players to showcase their talent and find the next "scott wilson" who only really got a chance because of injuries in the queue ahead of him
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

https://ulster.rugby/content/zac-ward-t ... rial-basis

The province can confirm that Ireland Sevens player, Zac Ward, will join the Senior Men’s squad for an extended trial until the Autumn international window.

The 25-year-old Ballynahinch forward played an important role in the Ireland Sevens success in recent years, culminating in a sixth- placed finish at this summer’s Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

Ward made a number of strong performances during the games, scoring four tries against Fiji, USA, New Zealand and Japan.

In recognition of his individual performances over the past season, at the recent Rugby Players Ireland Awards, Ward was named TritonLake Men’s 7’s Player’s Player of the Year.
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I for one think this is a great move. Zac has been exceptional over the past year - and was one of the few Irish 7's player who looked if as if he could cope with the the 15 a side game. (I exclude Hugo Keenan here as he didn't cope too well in 7s).

His pace, aggression and the way he breaks tackles could be very useful - but he probably needs to bulk up a little.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Off the Top wrote: His pace, aggression and the way he breaks tackles could be very useful - but he probably needs to bulk up a little.
Could he take after his dad and be a good 7?

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

shamalicious wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:29 pm
Off the Top wrote: His pace, aggression and the way he breaks tackles could be very useful - but he probably needs to bulk up a little.
Signed as a winger is the rumour....
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

shamalicious wrote:
Surely Bryn is the better option as a 7? He looked good for the u20s in the mould of a Chris Henry I thought.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Zac looks more like a ball carrying 8 and or maybe a mobile second row

The squad looks light weight but mobile and more suited to a fluid game where the line looks fine but may have problems in the set scrum against "boring " front rows a dangerous form of play seldom penalised or carded by referees .. boring being dangerous because it dangerously collapses scrums and is much more dangerous than a knee on the ground or broken bind but what the f do refs know or care about player safety allowing players to "body check or brace " to break tackles and or/ forearm would be tacklers -- when the only allowable defence against a tackle is a hand off .

defensively a light pack yields yards or gets penalised for off side

Thus my take is that Ulster will be trying to win games with about 40% possession where about 60 % of that possession could be in their own half .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He’s about six foot two so I would think second row is literally out of his reach.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

chunky wrote:
shamalicious wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:29 pm
Signed as a winger is the rumour....
That could make a pretty powerful set of wingers along with the Cat and the Kok!
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

I wonder if Jacob could be moved to 13.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Sir Ivor wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:24 pm I wonder if Jacob could be moved to 13.
With Jacob at 13 we wouldn't have much call for wingers.

Its a real shame we couldn't of brought in a loose head prop, We've either got strength or potential in all other positions. At LHP I know exactly where we are at.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18