Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ljsulster
Novice

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by ljsulster »

KOTH defending the Ulster pathway- you feeling alright King?

All jokes aside, playing a team like Darrow’s will do these lads the world of good and if losing a few interpros means more focus on player development then I’m ok. No one revers the results but if we get a home grown XV running out then that is the main thing. We have quality pathway coaches bar Andrew so I’m sure the players are getting great development opportunities
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

The hard work is done prior to reaching Ulster u18s though.

The depth of quality of players produced by Blackrock college each year is phenomenal. If Ulster rugby had a school producing that amount of talent annually, we’d be well set.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

ljsulster wrote:KOTH defending the Ulster pathway- you feeling alright King?

All jokes aside, playing a team like Darrow’s will do these lads the world of good and if losing a few interpros means more focus on player development then I’m ok. No one revers the results but if we get a home grown XV running out then that is the main thing. We have quality pathway coaches bar Andrew so I’m sure the players are getting great development opportunities
I wouldn’t have any training at ulster through the school rugby season. Boys are training enough at schools to throw in another session.

There are lots of good coaches within the ulster pathway set up but the reality is the players aren’t there. The U18s (full strength)are the strongest group we have had in years.

I don’t agree with the results statement. They need to build a winning mentality at an early age over the likes of Leinster and Munster.

Heard nothing but good reports on Ricky AndrewImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote:The hard work is done prior to reaching Ulster u18s though.

The depth of quality of players produced by Blackrock college each year is phenomenal. If Ulster rugby had a school producing that amount of talent annually, we’d be well set.
To achieve similar results, pay the coaches the same as those at Blackrock.

In Ulster, junior coaches earn between £0-600 per year, which is taxed, for coaching rugby (two sessions a week plus Saturdays for the junior teams). In contrast, Blackrock pays their external coaches, often former students currently in university without formal qualifications but with playing experience at the school, at least 180 euros PER WEEK. Additionally, teachers overseeing the year group receive around 5,000 - 8,000 euros extra on top of their already higher teaching salaries, alongside support from about three external coaches. At the senior level, coaches can earn over 100,000 euros annually (with schools like Castleknock and Terenure offering the highest salaries I believe). Many of these coaches prefer not to move into the professional game due to the risk of job insecurity and potential pay cuts.

The disparity between the north and south is stark and growing, driven by financial factors.

The_Nose_Knows
Novice

Post by The_Nose_Knows »

kingofthehill wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:56 pm

In Ulster, junior coaches earn between £0-600 per year, which is taxed, for coaching rugby (two sessions a week plus Saturdays for the junior teams). In contrast, Blackrock pays their external coaches, often former students currently in university without formal qualifications but with playing experience at the school, at least 180 euros PER WEEK. Additionally, teachers overseeing the year group receive around 5,000 - 8,000 euros extra on top of their already higher teaching salaries, alongside support from about three external coaches. At the senior level, coaches can earn over 100,000 euros annually (with schools like Castleknock and Terenure offering the highest salaries I believe). Many of these coaches prefer not to move into the professional game due to the risk of job insecurity and potential pay cuts.

The disparity between the north and south is stark and growing, driven by financial factors.

Should ulster notbe focusng on more ccro's or greater involvement in schools?

If you picked a "country school" how much exposure do they have to "ulster scouts"?

I've seen my fair share of bad school coaches and a (much) fewer good/great coaches. How exactly do the players come to ulsters attention?

Ulster can't compete with leinster private school money but surely there's certain areas's they should look to be strengthing like coaching/coaching staff, more involvement in talent recognition and sessions with schools. Specific skill sessions, passing, rucking, scrummaging, line out jumping across the boardwould surely see an increase in high calibre prospects
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

The_Nose_Knows wrote:

If you picked a "country school" how much exposure do they have to "ulster scouts"?

I've seen my fair share of bad school coaches and a (much) fewer good/great coaches. How exactly do the players come to ulsters attention?

Ulster can't compete with leinster private school money but surely there's certain areas's they should look to be strengthing like coaching/coaching staff, more involvement in talent recognition and sessions with schools. Specific skill sessions, passing, rucking, scrummaging, line out jumping across the boardwould surely see an increase in high calibre prospects
Money talks. It’s the difference, more buy in from coaches and for getting top coaches into schools.

The_Nose_Knows
Novice

Post by The_Nose_Knows »

kingofthehill wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:15 pm
The_Nose_Knows wrote:

Money talks. It’s the difference, more buy in from coaches and for getting top coaches into schools.

What I'm getting at there's already CCRO's there but are they of the correct "quality" and level talent identification to spot prospects. Is everyone getting a fair crack, should their be more regionalised games in the province say across the counties in a chance to showcase talent

If the current crop of U18's have potential to be the best year in recent years thats a great sign. But it should be something that Ulster try to better year on year. It seems all of sudden we are going to have a surplus of backrows (Not a bad thing) but we've been struggling in other key poistions for years, Prop, Second row, half backs etc.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

I have always believed that rugby has failed to follow the GAA model. We should at branch level play rugby on a County level. There is no reason we could not have an Ulster championship at say under 16 or 18 level on a county level. Then we could develop it
I know some counties might struggle but it is worth a try.
There seems in the new regime at Ulster Rugby a willingness towards thinking outside the box,so anything is possible
The_Nose_Knows
Novice

Post by The_Nose_Knows »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:48 pm I have always believed that rugby has failed to follow the GAA model. We should at branch level play rugby on a County level. There is no reason we could not have an Ulster championship at say under 16 or 18 level on a county level. Then we could develop it
There seems in the new regime at Ulster Rugby a willingness towards thinking outside the box,so anything is possible
Hopefully they try a few new ideas this year s well as what they have been doing.

If you compare an U18 GAA player with an U18 Rugby player. the GAA have better skills and are far more explosive. Hopefully UR has taken notice and can work out some way to tap into that pool as well. County based matches can only be a benefit in my opinion especially if theyare coached by UR staff, but again that'llcome down to money. I'm sure there's plenty of clubs in each county who would provide their grounf FOC for the betterment of rugby in ulster
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

kingofthehill wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:46 pm
ljsulster wrote:KOTH defending the Ulster pathway- you feeling alright King?

I wouldn’t have any training at ulster through the school rugby season. Boys are training enough at schools to throw in another session.

Think that’s a bit of a Belfast centric view - indeed many of the bigger schools players don’t attend (or possibly aren’t allowed to) many of the sessions during the season.

However the training is very beneficial for players from smaller schools in terms of good coaching & opportunities to showcase themselves.

Plenty of NTS/PTS players coming through from smaller schools now.
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

The_Nose_Knows wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:26 pm
Jetstream wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:48 pm I have always believed that rugby has failed to follow the GAA model. We should at branch level play rugby on a County level. There is no reason we could not have an Ulster championship at say under 16 or 18 level on a county level. Then we could develop it
Hopefully they try a few new ideas this year s well as what they have been doing.

If you compare an U18 GAA player with an U18 Rugby player. the GAA have better skills and are far more explosive. Hopefully UR has taken notice and can work out some way to tap into that pool as well. County based matches can only be a benefit in my opinion especially if theyare coached by UR staff, but again that'llcome down to money. I'm sure there's plenty of clubs in each county who would provide their grounf FOC for the betterment of rugby in ulster
They already work in regions at initial id stage & whittle down to players to play for their regions in blitz’s against each other. Can however be a big difference in region quality given a lot more players around the Belfast area - think would have the same issue in counties, although bringing together schools & club players in more country locations may help.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

There are some excellent coaches in the regional schools, unfortunately the programmes, facilities and player numbers are not of the same standard of the top 6.

The coaches at youth club level however are not, through no fault of their own. As for the CCROs... Nice idea executed poorly. I would love to see UR support club youth rugby more. And dont get me started on the Ulster underage 'clubs' programme.... Its nowt of the sort, its regional schools players who have played for a club... Even for 40 mins to qualify
Bigfacthunt
Novice

Post by Bigfacthunt »

nonplussed wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:19 am There are some excellent coaches in the regional schools, unfortunately the programmes, facilities and player numbers are not of the same standard of the top 6.

The coaches at youth club level however are not, through no fault of their own. As for the CCROs... Nice idea executed poorly. I would love to see UR support club youth rugby more. And dont get me started on the Ulster underage 'clubs' programme.... Its nowt of the sort, its regional schools players who have played for a club... Even for 40 mins to qualify
When you say CCRO and a this Ulster rugby ones or club ones?
Who are the Ulster ones and so many clubs have CCROs?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Im referring to the club CCROs who are funded by Ulster but directed by the clubs.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically there are two approaches to sport the first being we play to enjoy ourselves the second is we play to win and thereby enjoy ourselves . The latter approach,in a team game,requires everyone to be singing from the same sheet and because if everyone adopts this approach winning is never guaranteed disappointment will result. Thus the former approach we are here to enjoy ourselves rather than , we must win is more common especially at mini levels ( pre 14 ) .

Which means give the kids a ball and let them play rather than we have to coach them to ruck how to pod accept roles and field positions play to patterns or look for space.

Rugby is a much more complex game than football where if you can learn to control a ball on first touch you have learnt about 70 % of the skill and awareness necessary but that first 70% is the hardest whereas rugby the first thing to learn is to catch a ball but that is only about 3 % of what is necessary
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist