Summer tour to SA 2024

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: Summer tour to SA 2024

Post by Dublin4 »

I hated this series but the second test win was special. Great finish.
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

Have to say, that was a stormer. I really didn't think they would do it, even though last week was a bit of a pocket picked. Fair play to Frawley. Kept his head and did the business, not once but twice.

Before the Ireland match, I was going to say good things about England and their very close call against the All Blacks. Fortunately the match brought me back to my senses.
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

By the way, it was only when the Ulstermen came on that the tide turned. :fleg:
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Glad for Herring and stu to be involved at the end. Was worried that Rob was going to be branded the fall guy for a couple of lineout errors. A superb effort from all involved, hopefully it gave izzy and doak a taste of what might be on offer if they want it enough.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Loved seeing McCloskey taking absolutely none of PSDT’s tom kite after the final whistle.
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

What I learned from the tours :-
England have made big strides under Borthwick and seem to enjoy running the ball.Usual suspects still screaming like big jessies though. Ridiculous.
All Blacks are a pale shadow of great past teams, especially the forwards. Beauden was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch.
South Africa are all growing old together, and they need a new coach.
Ireland still have a strong starting XV but bench a weakness.
I hope Wales can find a few players.
Aussies as poor as Wales.
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

Should have added that the Argies are as good as before but the French have loads of talented players coming through.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Some game that.

Would have been very unjust if they’d lost to the pen when Nash didn’t get a touch on the high ball.

Two cracking drop goals, both of which were clearly going over as soon as they left the boot.

JO was excellent. Good call by AF.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:18 pm
Jetstream wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:06 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:41 pm I'd say Herring will bench second test judging by the amount of strapping Sheehan had.
I thought Casey went ok.
Osborne was totally sat down by Arendse.
And the full 8 scrum dismantled at the end was embarrassing.
If I'm honest, I'm disengaged from the whole FIRFU set up
At least we have some decent youngsters in our full squad and bleeding through at 20s.
I'd rather focus on that in peace, not ship injuries, and let FIRFU go play with it's pet projects
Starting to feel like that too. It is getting hard to get behind the team when you see guys like O'Mahoney and Healy being picked. Great players in their day but now passengers.
... and Murray. When was the last time he did anything of note in a green shirt, kicking away a Grand Slam aside?
Did very well yday - best game in Green for a long time - and 2 tries in 2 games!
solidarity
Lord Chancellor

Post by solidarity »

Gret win byb the Argies. Are they now coming genuinely to the top table.

Do Newcastle have a special relationship with Argentina? They seem to have a fair number of players from there.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s a French C team.

Newcastle and the Argies shared a hatred of Thatcher. Think there’s only one or two in the squad for next season though.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:41 pm It’s a French C team.

Newcastle and the Argies shared a hatred of Thatcher. Think there’s only one or two in the squad for next season though.
I frequent an Argie bar in Espana. They tend to employ Spanish entertainers rather than Brits although an exception is my lefty mate from Liverpool who got the gig by convincing the owner that he hates Thatcher :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My thoughts after the SA game

Ireland won the tactical battle after the first game Ireland realised,despite the trys scored in the first match, that scoring opportunities would be few in number thus plan A was the quick route wide - kicks to the wing plan b was a set move attack from a ruck which provided the only try. Plan c was the the usual penalty into the corner if conversion of the opportunity into 3 points was doubtful.

In the second half it became obvious that Ireland were not going to obtain to many penalties and definitely not ones to be converted into 3 points due SA playing a tighter game and a few dubious calls by the referee .

Change to plan D -- drop goals and my take would be that both Frawley and Crawley had been practicing drop kicks all week on the understanding that there could be few opportunities score a try or penalty . And in my honest opinion Frawley got the pick because he has a longer kick than Crawley

The fact that he pulled the result on the last kick doesn't make him a first choice out half because the truth is his length of kick and inconsistent kicking can be liability due kicking directly in to touch or providing chasers the opportunity to contest the catch which allows teams to run the ball back dangerously at pace.

He is "a horse for a course " player and in my point of view a better 12 than 10.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist