David Humphreys comments-promising.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

David Humphreys comments-promising.

Post by Dharper »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... 88x767jy2o

No one gives a tom kite re croke park fixtures the main thing is David Humphreys finally speaks.

Very interesting comments by Humphreys at the end of the article re provinces / player development/ province movement & attracting talent from outside the usual sporting channels….let’s hope it’s accurate.

The thing about sitting in the stands and player ambition, and the signals it sends to the int set up is damning.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: David Humphreys comments-promising.

Post by justinr73 »

Deegan and Penny have both played two or three hours more rugby than Conan this season.

Maybe it’s Jack we should be getting when his contract is up in twelve months.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:26 am Deegan and Penny have both played two or three hours more rugby than Conan this season.

Jacks turned down a move to Ulster, several times.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bayern wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:10 am
justinr73 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:26 am Deegan and Penny have both played two or three hours more rugby than Conan this season.

I suppose he’d say it paid off but the perceptions about who is sitting in the stands are not always correct.

Getting them early, as we have with the three lads just now and the likes of Timoney and Big Al, makes sense.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Definitely the right decision for Conan, if I'd been advising him there's no way he should have countenanced a move away from Leinster - genuinely in the mix for first team, even with Doris around, and almost a lock-in for the 23.

Players like Deegan & Penny are another matter entirely - entering the prime of their career, not remotely in the mix for matchday squads for big games, and unlikely to be barring injury crises in the forseeable future. I'd say Nucifora had them in mind when he was talking about this recently - saying that the IRFU couldn't force anyone to move, but took note of player's decisions, because it spoke of their ambition or lack of it. Honestly can't get my head around Deegan signing on for another couple of years captaining the 3rd XV to 50 point beatings in SA. He must want to win the record for most MOTM awards against Zebre. (And forget moving to Munster or Ulster if he doesn't fancy it - he could be playing at big clubs in England or France. Woeful lack of ambition, and wasted talent).
..one more thing
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Actually, having read the Humphreys interview, he makes exactly the same points about players sitting 3rd / 4th / 5th choice and what that tells the coaches about their ambition, so very much from the same hymn sheet.
..one more thing
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Columbo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:57 pm Definitely the right decision for Conan, if I'd been advising him there's no way he should have countenanced a move away from Leinster - genuinely in the mix for first team, even with Doris around, and almost a lock-in for the 23.

Players like Deegan & Penny are another matter entirely - entering the prime of their career, not remotely in the mix for matchday squads for big games, and unlikely to be barring injury crises in the forseeable future. I'd say Nucifora had them in mind when he was talking about this recently - saying that the IRFU couldn't force anyone to move, but took note of player's decisions, because it spoke of their ambition or lack of it. Honestly can't get my head around Deegan signing on for another couple of years captaining the 3rd XV to 50 point beatings in SA. He must want to win the record for most MOTM awards against Zebre. (And forget moving to Munster or Ulster if he doesn't fancy it - he could be playing at big clubs in England or France. Woeful lack of ambition, and wasted talent).
If you are seriously aspiring to be an int option you need Euro games to display it. Deegan splayed zero this season, one last season, 3 season before that….but none knock out games.

Penny is going that way already. A few seasons ago he was looking like Sean obrien mk2 - he’s stalled already. Timoney and McCann are way way ahead of the pair of them come int conversation time in my opinion.

We need to accept there are players who for playing for ire isn’t the be all, it’s a Brucey bonus. Ire have so many options in the backrow it’s ridiculous. However if I Sam prendergast id be noting those comments and making my expectations re gametime to Cullen clear. The recontracting of Harry Byrne was a mistake.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Paul is a professional rugby player who retired from rugby in 2023. He wishes to claim Sportsperson's Relief. To do so, he reviewed his income from playing rugby for the 15 years prior to retiring (including 2023). He selected the 10 years which allowed him to maximise his relief claim.

One of the years he wishes to claim for is 2013.

Paul's taxable income for 2013
Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Employment expenses (€7,000)
Net schedule E income €243,000
Personal appearance income €15,000
Taxable income €258,000
After claiming Sportsperson's Relief for 2013, his taxable income has changed.

Paul's taxable income for 2013, after Sportspersons Relief
Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Sportsperson's Relief (€250,000 x 40%) (€100,000)
Net schedule E income €143,000
Taxable income €158,000
Paul will receive a deduction of €100,000 for 2013. Paul will carry out a similar review for the other nine years he selects to calculate his total relief. The relief will be given by way of repayment.

Let's say a Leinster player is on a 100k per annum. He gets 40 per cent tax relief in this case . 40k into your hand over 10 years is 400k..
I think the average Leinster player feels that they would rather trundle along playing for Leinster B and forget about career progress.
It is no wonder the Deegans, Conan's, Pennys,Byrnes of this world would not come North of the border
Money is their God. Not international caps
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:07 pm
Bayern wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:10 am

I suppose he’d say it paid off but the perceptions about who is sitting in the stands are not always correct.

Getting them early, as we have with the three lads just now and the likes of Timoney and Big Al, makes sense.
I think this has to be the future for the four provinces, that people don't automatically join a province because that is the region they have played in. This gives the promising talents more opportunity to play.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... 00e1370kzo

Well it’s been announced. Hopefully our coaching can max their talent out but it’ll be a couple of seasons yet I’d imagine before we’re seeing them.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 pm Paul is a professional rugby player who retired from rugby in 2023. He wishes to claim Sportsperson's Relief. To do so, he reviewed his income from playing rugby for the 15 years prior to retiring (including 2023). He selected the 10 years which allowed him to maximise his relief claim.

Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Taxable income €258,000

Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Taxable income €158,000
Paul will receive a deduction of €100,000 for 2013. Paul will carry out a similar review for the other nine years he selects to calculate his total relief. The relief will be given by way of repayment.

Let's say a Leinster player is on a 100k per annum. He gets 40 per cent tax relief in this case . 40k into your hand over 10 years is 400k..
I think the average Leinster player feels that they would rather trundle along playing for Leinster B and forget about career progress.
It is no wonder the Deegans, Conan's, Pennys,Byrnes of this world would not come North of the border
Well I’d imagine an ire cap is worth approx €20k, so that’s a nice bonus on top if you pick up a few.

The above is a bit of a dirty secret no one really mentions in public, but they are professionals and on a personal note it’s totally understandable.

It’ll be interesting re the emerging ire squad makeup. Also whether feed back is given re tier 1 game exposure etc - 80 mins v dragons is pretty useless as a barometer to judge a player or a selectors hands.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Dharper wrote: If you are seriously aspiring to be an int option you need Euro games to display it. Deegan splayed zero this season, one last season, 3 season before that….but none knock out games.

Penny is going that way already. A few seasons ago he was looking like Sean obrien mk2 - he’s stalled already. Timoney and McCann are way way ahead of the pair of them come int conversation time in my opinion.

We need to accept there are players who for playing for ire isn’t the be all, it’s a Brucey bonus. Ire have so many options in the backrow it’s ridiculous. However if I Sam prendergast id be noting those comments and making my expectations re gametime to Cullen clear. The recontracting of Harry Byrne was a mistake.
Yes Penny hasn’t budged from third choice at Leinster, as well as slipping behind Timoney in the Ireland reckoning I’d say he’d also be behind Connors, Hodnett and McCann at this stage - despite arguably having a higher ceiling than all of them. Bewildering to me.

It’s always a bit of a gamble, but I think Prendergast is right to sit tight - he should back himself to be top dog by the end of next season, and the way the last few weeks of the season played out it looks like there’s momentum behind him. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pass out Crowley next season - he’s good but remains error prone. Agreed that H Byrne resigning was a mistake, yes he’s had bad luck but the coaches have never shown that they fancy him. He’s in this crap situation where he gets the odd game and over-plays, then gets dropped. He needs out and given the way the back end of the season played out I wonder if he’d make a different decision (or for that matter if there isn’t some movement over the next month or two..)
..one more thing
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:11 pm Paul is a professional rugby player who retired from rugby in 2023. He wishes to claim Sportsperson's Relief. To do so, he reviewed his income from playing rugby for the 15 years prior to retiring (including 2023). He selected the 10 years which allowed him to maximise his relief claim.

Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Taxable income €258,000

Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Taxable income €158,000

Hypothetically if someone from Leinster who was on a central contract decided to transfer to Ulster and lived in Dundalk, commuting to Ravenhill for training, would they still be able to gain the tax break?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bobbievee
Warrior Assassin

Post by Bobbievee »

We should get the Post Office Horizon accountants to look at that one!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:04 pm

Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Taxable income €258,000

Amount
Rugby salary €250,000
Taxable income €158,000

Hypothetically if someone from Leinster who was on a central contract decided to transfer to Ulster and lived in Dundalk, commuting to Ravenhill for training, would they still be able to gain the tax break?
It is an Irish Government policy so even though player A would still live in Ireland, surely playing for a side in a different country and tax regime would mean any years playing for that side would not be eligible for the tax relief?

I am sure an accountant/tax expert could advise on this one.