Pre-season friendlies for the 2009/2010 season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnightSupporter
Initiate

Pre-season friendlies for the 2009/2010 season

Post by WhiteKnightSupporter »

Looks like Ulster will be playing Worcester Warriors away from home.
Warriors line up pre-season games

Worcester will host Irish province Ulster and National One side Doncaster Knights in their pre-season games.

They face Doncaster on Friday, 14 August, and then entertain Ulster two weeks' later.

Director of rugby Mike Ruddock said: "We've got Doncaster first up and we played them away last year in what was a very tough game for us.

"We expect another hard battle this time and look forward to welcoming Lynn Howells and his team to Sixways."

He continued: "We follow that up with a big test against Heineken Cup side Ulster at home.

"We did very well by beating them at Ravenhill last year in pre-season.

"However, they have strengthened since then and developed under Matt Williams, who I coached alongside at Leinster many years ago.

"That game will be the perfect test before we scrum down the following weekend in our first league game in the Guinness Premiership."
What team(s) would people like to see Ulster play in a friendly at Ravers? Personally I would like to see another Super 14 team come up to play us.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Pre-season friendlies for the 2009/2010 season

Post by fuzzylogic »

I would like to see another Super 14 team come up to play us.
I would also like to see that. Providing the super 14 team actually brings a team you are likley to see playing in the S14 and not their B team.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
WhiteKnightSupporter
Initiate

Post by WhiteKnightSupporter »

I wonder with Horua joining Ulster for next season if there was any way that we could get Western Force come up to play?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

S14 side is unlikely as NPC, Currie Cup and whatever the Aussies do will be happening then. A S14 side may tour around the Autumn Internationals or else in December but it is only likely to be a developmental squad starting pre season.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Will we have any pre season friendlies at home given the rebuilding work ?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

At last Ulster play a pre-season game in England... they need as much experience as possible to break their HEC duck away against GP teams.

I've never been to Worcester so will likely make the trip to see this game.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Ardglass2 wrote:Will we have any pre season friendlies at home given the rebuilding work ?
Don't see why not - the works should be down to final fit out by that stage so I'd have thought the final extent of the terrace to be open at the least if not some of the seating.
Flat-top
Novice

Post by Flat-top »

Highly recommend the trip Mikerob, Sixways is one of my favourite GP visits each season and the Warriors fans very welcoming...their chant does annoy after a while though! sadly will be right in the middle of my hols so no go for me this time.
mikerob wrote:At last Ulster play a pre-season game in England... they need as much experience as possible to break their HEC duck away against GP teams.

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Flat-top wrote:Highly recommend the trip Mikerob, Sixways is one of my favourite GP visits each season and the Warriors fans very welcoming...their chant does annoy after a while though! sadly will be right in the middle of my hols so no go for me this time.
What is their chant?

Is it "Wooooooster... Woooooster..." ? (Repeat ad nauseam...)
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Ardglass2 wrote:Will we have any pre season friendlies at home given the rebuilding work ?
If we don't I don't see that it will be because of the building work - we've managed to play half a season with the work progressing around us. It's not like we get capacity crowds for pre- season friendlies.

At the last estimate (that I heard) work was one week behind schedule, but that could easily be made up (or slip even more).

Ulster have requested first match of the Magners to be away from home to accomodate that - not that the match couldn't take place, but because it wouldn't be a great selling point for future development if those who had put big money into the boxes etc missed one match because the corporate facilities weren't ready in time.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

mikerob wrote:At last Ulster play a pre-season game in England... they need as much experience as possible to break their HEC duck away against GP teams.

Exactly what I said last year Mike - and good for us exiles eh :wink:

Are you gracing Parc y Scarlet this weekend ? :red:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Surrey Red Hand wrote:
Are you gracing Parc y Scarlet this weekend ? :red:
'fraid not...maybe see you at Wuss.
Flat-top
Novice

Post by Flat-top »

[/quote]

What is their chant?

Is it "Wooooooster... Woooooster..." ? (Repeat ad nauseam...)[/quote]

No its "come on you warr...iors, come on you warr...iors, come on you warr...iors, come on you warr...iors" to a very annoying jingle that i can't name for the life of me...when you hear it you'll know exactly what I mean :banghead:
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

Good chance of that Mike.

Hoping for a result at PYS on saturday (they have a Welsh derby v Cardiff) tomorrow night
and may look to be fielding some young players against us.

Despite our topsy turvy season there is no doubt Scarlets have been worse and their fans
aren't understandably happy with the current management set up .. looks like all change soon?

That said a win wednesday for them AND against us would see them rise above us in the table
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

was told today by a player that there are pre-season friendlies at ravenhill against wasps, leeds and toulon.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.