Ulster v Benetton Fri Apr 26 7:35pm KO BBC2 NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports UK

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Benetton Fri Apr 26 7:35pm KO BBC2 NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports UK

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 pm Scrum a major worry, lacing quality and depth there. If Marty is done then we are in big trouble next season.

Having said that, both EOS and Wilson put themselves about tonight and did well.

Lineout was generally decent. Sheridan with a couple of steals was good to see as ulster rarely do that.

Murphy said he's trying to get the tempo up and play a more offloading game. He's realised the ulster pack won't run through anyone these days so a different approach required
The greater concern is loose than tight. Tightened with Warwick and Andrew on, but Benneton has French like front row depth. Wilson's progress continues. Hard game for him- French was under real pressure but ref mysteriously gave him a penalty when he was being drilled. How the feck did we think he could do even an average job?
EOS very average scrummager sadly
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:48 pm Bit of a mixed bag yesterday, good in attack but brittle In defense at times. A couple of big shifts and Stockdale had his best game in years.

Does anyone know what is going on with McCann. He spent a lot of the time when we had the ball doing a 'Tom Croft', hiding on the wing. In fairness to him, the cross field kick would have been a big mismatch against their left wing who was quite slight, but it was never used as an options, in spite of McCann having his hands up calling for it a lot. Is offering the threat of that not something Bobby could do? You'd think we'd be better served by having one of our best breakdown forwards helping with the breakdown.
I believe that began during Soper’s one match reign.

No doubt Dan didn’t allow them to do it before, probably for the reason you give.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 am Trust we’re all heading back to Ravenhill for some proper rugby tomorrow afternoon.
Just me then?

Ireland won by 15 knock ons to 12.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm
Bart S wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 pm Scrum a major worry, lacing quality and depth there. If Marty is done then we are in big trouble next season.

Having said that, both EOS and Wilson put themselves about tonight and did well.

Lineout was generally decent. Sheridan with a couple of steals was good to see as ulster rarely do that.

Murphy said he's trying to get the tempo up and play a more offloading game. He's realised the ulster pack won't run through anyone these days so a different approach required
The greater concern is loose than tight. Tightened with Warwick and Andrew on, but Benneton has French like front row depth. Wilson's progress continues. Hard game for him- French was under real pressure but ref mysteriously gave him a penalty when he was being drilled. How the feck did we think he could do even an average job?

Never quite figured the signing of French and to this day still not aware what club he actually played for before joining Ulster. Waste of contract IMHO
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Was he not from Jersey Reds?

Edit, my mistake that was McGrath, another typical UR signing.

French ex Turnips, 1 cap. They must regret letting him go...
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cockatrice wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm

Never quite figured the signing of French and to this day still not aware what club he actually played for before joining Ulster. Waste of contract IMHO
Ever heard of Google?

He played for the same club that Campese, Gregan, Beale, Elsom and Giteau played for.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Some thoughts no real order:

Firstly well done, I didn’t think they’d win.

Cooney was excellent, bit of a blast from the past, showed confidence and fully took control. Defo a player who is better when clear no1, I don’t think he likes/benefits from competition at all.

Wilson another good game, can’t be easy balancing his dissertation and the like, hopefully a uni free pre season etc and he’ll really kick on.

Where’s Crowthers been hiding? Looks ok to me, and looks a breakdown threat. An option going forward, depending on the mix.

McCann is a v good all round player I’m enjoying him at 8, as there is more involvement and his lineout work is a bonus. Sheridan decent again. Really happy to see Izzy showing up again, his raw potential is huge.

Addison was really solid at 13: pace has dropped which isn’t ideal at 15, but his hands in midfield does open the back 3 up.

Props are an issue. Byrne may do a decent job. Hopefully Marty’s got another season in him.

Nice to see they’re playing with a smile on their face. Crowd got their moneys worth.

Delighted to start seeing these young ulster forwards coming through.

Interesting to see what happens with the coaching tkt.
I’d be happy with Murphy personally due to his pup work, and frankly for me the rebuild is already happening-rather than beginning again end of season.
Would Payne come back and work under Murphy? He’d be excellent in attack or defence. Soper may feature but bells been poor. I’d actually say UR could do with a top forwards coach, with all these pups coming through.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just had a look at the highlights.
Their last two tries... how on earth did they turn over the ball for the third try? CAn somebody talk me through it???
And their fourth, how were they allowed to take the quick penalty, while the yellow card was still being shown?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 pm Just had a look at the highlights.
Their last two tries... how on earth did they turn over the ball for the third try? CAn somebody talk me through it???
And their fourth, how were they allowed to take the quick penalty, while the yellow card was still being shown?
... and the Strangler tried to give the forwards credit for Cooney's MOTM. 😂What do the barrack room refs here make of the 4th one?

I hope that BP doesn't come back to bite us.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Dharper wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 pm Some thoughts no real order:

Firstly well done, I didn’t think they’d win.

Cooney was excellent, bit of a blast from the past, showed confidence and fully took control. Defo a player who is better when clear no1, I don’t think he likes/benefits from competition at all.

Wilson another good game, can’t be easy balancing his dissertation and the like, hopefully a uni free pre season etc and he’ll really kick on.

Where’s Crowthers been hiding? Looks ok to me, and looks a breakdown threat. An option going forward, depending on the mix.

McCann is a v good all round player I’m enjoying him at 8, as there is more involvement and his lineout work is a bonus. Sheridan decent again. Really happy to see Izzy showing up again, his raw potential is huge.

Addison was really solid at 13: pace has dropped which isn’t ideal at 15, but his hands in midfield does open the back 3 up.

Props are an issue. Byrne may do a decent job. Hopefully Marty’s got another season in him.

Nice to see they’re playing with a smile on their face. Crowd got their moneys worth.

Delighted to start seeing these young ulster forwards coming through.

Interesting to see what happens with the coaching tkt.
I’d be happy with Murphy personally due to his pup work, and frankly for me the rebuild is already happening-rather than beginning again end of season.
Would Payne come back and work under Murphy? He’d be excellent in attack or defence. Soper may feature but bells been poor. I’d actually say UR could do with a top forwards coach, with all these pups coming through.
Totally agree with that summary.
Cooney was on top form, he put in a serious shift, both attack & defence.
We need Doak back to his best too. He’s definitely not the answer at 10 IMO
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Maybe you don’t quite agree with the summary fully.

JC is an intriguing and relatively complex character. Mr Harper may well be along the right lines in terms of competition.

The worst thing Dan ever did, so far as I’m concerned, was benching John for that final.

Probably didn’t change the result but it was wrong on every level.

There’s some interesting stuff in the BT again from John and, whilst I’m finding it hard to warm to Murphy as Head Coach, kudos to him for seemingly relighting John’s fire.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

With no central contract and no IRFU interference JC should have been starting every game he was fit without squad rotation. Doa k was never and never will be his equal. Apart from some kicking lapses in " up and unders" ........Maybe under instructions?..........JC has given his all, and being encourAged to snipe again has reignited him.
So Doa k becomes permanent back up 9 imo........ and at best back up 10 hoping we can get someone better over the summer. ........He has had a very long time to prove his worth and regretfully isn't up to it,

I would keep Addison for 13....If it is not too late. I don't think he will try that silly off load nonsense again......ever.......and he is a thinker, keeping opposition on their toes.

If we can find a 10 we are close to having an attacking back line which would put some fear into defences, which has not been the case for some time.

Now, if we could just sort out the defence !! Benetton seemed to have a man over at will.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Benetton are a good side tbf