Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Ireland)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Irel

Post by Deraless »

Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 am Gilroy's punditry was awful
He got it totally wrong when he said Stockdale didn't get a touch on Cabango for their second try. There was one angle where he clearly managed to get a full palm on Cabango's left hip 😆
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
TinPig
Squire

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Irel

Post by TinPig »

Deraless wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:51 am
Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 am Gilroy's punditry was awful
He got it totally wrong when he said Stockdale didn't get a touch on Cabango for their second try. There was one angle where he clearly managed to get a full palm on Cabango's left hip 😆
Stockdale plays two handed touch, so ref was correct to award the try.
One of the few decisions Adamson got right
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Not sure where the Lowry grief is coming from, thought he was very good last night. Other standouts where Sheridan and McCann, as has been said. Cormac brilliant off the bench, with the try saving tackle. I'm starting to think Andrew should be above Tom Stewart in the pecking order at hooker.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 pm Not sure where the Lowry grief is coming from, thought he was very good last night. Other standouts where Sheridan and McCann, as has been said. Cormac brilliant off the bench, with the try saving tackle. I'm starting to think Andrew should be above Tom Stewart in the pecking order at hooker.
The scrum tightened up and got on the front foot when Andrew and Warwick came on. Wilson did well for his first real start. Issy to start over AOC
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Has anyone yet mentioned that Cardiff have won 3 of their 18 matches this season?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:40 pm Has anyone yet mentioned that Cardiff have won 3 of their 18 matches this season?
Well, they lost again last night. >ESM
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:40 pm Has anyone yet mentioned that Cardiff have won 3 of their 18 matches this season?
I think any other season in recent memory the overwhelming tone here would be that we've dropped a point against a gash Cardiff team. The relief that we didn't drop another four, despite being abysmal is a sign of where we are. That said, McCann and Sheridan were both imperious, when was the last time we could feel excited about the young forwards coming through?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I don't see anyone getting carried away yet Justin and if they are they are deluded.

Whilst I don't buy it , people could also mention that all bar one of their defeats have been by less than 7 (at least I think that's what they said last night).

Apart from Dragons, has ulster actually beaten anyone in the league by more than 7 all season? Other than Glasgow away and dragons home I think it's been fine margins.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

As good as Izzys effort and endeavour was for the try saving tackle - it should have been a penalty try - you can't kick the ball out of someone's hands.

Totally missed by officials, commentators and pundits
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:52 pm
I think any other season in recent memory the overwhelming tone here would be that we've dropped a point against a gash Cardiff team. The relief that we didn't drop another four, despite being abysmal is a sign of where we are. That said, McCann and Sheridan were both imperious, when was the last time we could feel excited about the young forwards coming through?
Last time we had a group as promising as this was mid 00’s when Ferris, Neil Best, Roger Wilson, Neil McMillen, Rory Best, Bryan Young and Matt McCullough broke through.

Didn’t end well though, Best and Wilson quickly moved on to Northampton saints, McMillen went to Harleqiuns, Bryan Youngs form fell off of a cliff and Simon Best retired prematurely.
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 pm Not sure where the Lowry grief is coming from, thought he was very good last night. Other standouts where Sheridan and McCann, as has been said. Cormac brilliant off the bench, with the try saving tackle. I'm starting to think Andrew should be above Tom Stewart in the pecking order at hooker.
James McCormick should be ahead of both
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

What we need now is for the young guys to be shielded from media duties like videos asking each other what their favourite Tayto flavour is or some other crud, protect them from people blowing smoke up their holes and tell them that making the squad doesn't make them Billy Big Balls.

This is only the beginning. So sick of one year wonders at Ulster.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

chunky wrote:As good as Izzys effort and endeavour was for the try saving tackle - it should have been a penalty try - you can't kick the ball out of someone's hands.

Totally missed by officials, commentators and pundits
I don't think it was a deliberate kick as he couldn't see where his feet were at the time. He swung his body around to get underneath the grounding and the Cardiff player lost the ball off his foot when trying to place it down. Correct call and a superb piece of defending if a little lucky.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Pound for pound lowry is a better tackler than stockdale but that doesn't mean that he doesn't lose out against bigger players, that's just physics. If Jacob hit as hard or with the same technique he would nail players, but he seems to prefer hurting people going forward as opposed to defence. To me that is an attitude problem. Mr Kok will teach him a thing about aggressive defence when he gets here.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Looks like we're pretty much all agreed that last night was a win by the least worst of the two teams.

I'm hearing the words 'knock on' in my sleep.

We had one turnover in our favour; they had six, seven?

After the try-saving tackle, I'd like to see Izzy and McCloskey as a centre partnership!

Too many young lads who think they're the bee's knees and don't know how to knuckle down and get a job done. I think it's a generational thing.

We have little to no coherence as a team. Of course, if half of the team changes every week, what can you expect? I assume Richie is simply experimenting and getting to know his players' strengths and weaknesses.

Izuchukwu and Sheridan are brill.