Sharks v Ulster Saturday 23rd March 1pm Kick Off Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 23rd March 1pm Kick Off Viaplay Sports

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:28 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:15 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 am I’m not sure that Ireland produces too many decent head coaches
True enough, although McCall and O'Gara, and Cullen are doing the business at the minute. Any interested in coming to Ulster? Not a chance.

Eddie O'Sullivan, Declan Kidney? Nah, not really.

Michael Bradley? Would take a genius to do something with Zebre, so might be worth a look.

DHumph? Not on the cards at all and not really a coach.

Willie Anderson? Too old and, if he hasn't made the grade by now, he's not going to.

Simon Easterby? Step up to head coach with Ulter to gain experience for more later?

Any other options?
I think we have our coach for the next couple of years.
I’m waiting for one of our conspiracy theorists to out him as a D4 plant tasked with taking Ulster to the dogs.

On a more optimistic note, we had the parents of a couple of rugby playing sons round last night. Apparently, there’s an unusually strong year coming through at Larne - U13s or U14s I think - so maybe they’ll rescue us in 6 or 7 years
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Can’t really argue too much with CIMans logic even if it is a bit pessimistic.
I think part of t
He problem is even though the squad was cut at the end of last season we are still carrying to much dead wood.
There are a number of squad members who we are carrying who are not going to make it.
I can understand loyalty to players like Will Addison who have a high injury profile but in our current financial state we need to take a more realistic approach. Can anyone realistically see the likes of Greg Jones starting. Dave Shanahan has come on and been effective in the last quarter of a game but would you want him to start.
Aaron Sexton has certainly speed on his side but doesn’t seem to commit himself and I have seen no outcry for his inclusion.
There are those that need experience but Ulster Rugby don’t seem to be interested in arranging many A games or promoting them any that are arranged seemed to be kept secret until the last minute.
As already mentioned else where no friendlies during 6N break and the playing record at the moment and potentially getting worse makes it more difficult to attract fixtures.
Do Ulster have long term plan for development of players as there seem little evidence of it.
We are limited in the number of NIQ that we can carry by the IRFU and whilst it is nice to sign the likes of Kitsoft in our current financial state is this best way to spend our money.
I believe that the decision by Dublin to redeploy Ritchie Murphy is the right one and the criticism of his team against the Sharks
by those that talk about playing the bottom team who have won so few games is totally unrealistic. The team Ulster actually played had the addition of 5 or 6 of the S African World Cup and totally changed the dynamics of the game plus the arrival of a new coach on the Monday, then virtually 24 hrs travelling on Tuesday/Wednesday plus a 20 degree change in temprature puts the result in a more realistic light.
Look how Edinburgh faired against the Stormers and perhaps see how Ulster and Murphy with a weeks coaching and acclimatisation and relatively short travel perform before criticising.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

In the second half sharks has a tight 5 that included Bonambi, Etzebeth, Nche and Kok. Those 4 players played in the World Cup final and took the All Blacks, French and English tight 5s to the cleaners in the 2nd half of each round.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm The coming fixtures now have serious heft-

Can't see us winning:
Stormers, Leinster

Fighting chance of some points:
Munster away- who knows which Munster turn up but they are on a roll, albeit against mediocre opposition

Must wins:
Cardiff (H)
Benetton (H)
Scaaalets (A)

With Connacht and Benetton struggling, the above three are critical for any sort of Season to build on.
All are tricky given our current parlous state.
Montpellier is a distraction now imo
Lets say we manage 16 points from our remaining games. That takes us to joint 7th, and 2 points ahead of 8th, on last year's table. This year's table seems tighter than last so that might work against us (or for us).

I'd like to think your must wins are dead certs, but I can also see us sh!tting the bed in Llanelli.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I see that Benetton now have three homes games and, obviously, most of the national team back.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

SA sides all have mostly home games left also.

I can see 3 SA sides in the top 8. The Edinburgh and Ospreys losses will come back and bite us.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:28 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:15 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 am I’m not sure that Ireland produces too many decent head coaches
True enough, although McCall and O'Gara, and Cullen are doing the business at the minute. Any interested in coming to Ulster? Not a chance.

Eddie O'Sullivan, Declan Kidney? Nah, not really.

Michael Bradley? Would take a genius to do something with Zebre, so might be worth a look.

DHumph? Not on the cards at all and not really a coach.

Willie Anderson? Too old and, if he hasn't made the grade by now, he's not going to.

Simon Easterby? Step up to head coach with Ulter to gain experience for more later?

Any other options?
I think we have our coach for the next couple of years.
I’m waiting for one of our conspiracy theorists to out him as a D4 plant tasked with taking Ulster to the dogs.

On a more optimistic note, we had the parents of a couple of rugby playing sons round last night. Apparently, there’s an unusually strong year coming through at Larne - U13s or U14s I think - so maybe they’ll rescue us in 6 or 7 years
To be fair, Ulster is extremely competent in taking ourselves to the dogs repeatedly. We don't need Dublin to do that.

If we DIDNT have FIRFU propping us up, albeit poorly, ie had to stand on our own two feet like the Premiership and Top 14 sides we'd go the way of Jersey, LI, Wasps and Worcester if we're honest. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional
Exterminate all rational thought
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

In terms of props what happened to the much vaunted (signed from Munster) James French except we didn’t sign him from Munster but from some team in France (not named if not mistaken)… as long as Bryn keeps signing this quality of non prop and dresses them as something they aren’t I don’t see any light at the end of any tunnel.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I know it makes me a bad person to say it but I really wouldn't mind a season in the Challenge Cup, while we 'rebuild'. We'd have a realistic chance of winning. Of course, if we win it this year... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we need to stop this talk of "realistically having a chance to win the Parker Pen." Left in the competition are:

-Glaws
-Clermont
-Benetton
-Embra
-Sale
-Lions
-Sharks
-Connacht

I'd fancy all 8 of those sides to beat us in our current state. And given we aren't bringing in any hotshots and we will be giving the youngsters a go, next year could be a toughie on the results front (hopefully a big leap forward on the developmental front tho).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We need a 'pencil' or 'crayon' competition. Even a 'finger painting' one or something like 'when a child puts his hand in paint and simply slaps it on a page, your mum pins it up on the fridge at home' cup.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

So It Is wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 pm I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we need to stop this talk of "realistically having a chance to win the Parker Pen." Left in the competition are:

-Glaws
-Clermont
-Benetton
-Embra
-Sale
-Lions
-Sharks
-Connacht

I'd fancy all 8 of those sides to beat us in our current state. And given we aren't bringing in any hotshots and we will be giving the youngsters a go, next year could be a toughie on the results front (hopefully a big leap forward on the developmental front tho).
True enough, So'tis, but, if we don't cross the white line to play a cup match with at least some sort of belief that we can win, what's the point turning up?
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

solidarity wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:18 am
So It Is wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 pm I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we need to stop this talk of "realistically having a chance to win the Parker Pen." Left in the competition are:

-Glaws
-Clermont
-Benetton
-Embra
-Sale
-Lions
-Sharks
-Connacht

True enough, So'tis, but, if we don't cross the white line to play a cup match with at least some sort of belief that we can win, what's the point turning up?
I get that but I think its become a bit of a cliche with Ulster fans. We aren't good enough for the Champions Cup, but we'll be in with a shout in the Parker Pen.

Imo expectations like that must be earned, and based on our form over the last few years we are way off.

I just think the organisation, the players and the fans all need a reality check. We are in a bad place and in need of a serious re-build, so expectations of anything should be measured. There will be more games like Saturday past, when we play like a drain and lose. BUT, and its a big BUT, we see shoots of optimism through the likes of McCann and Wilson putting in big performances. These lads will hopefully form the core of the rebuild.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cockatrice wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:19 pm In terms of props what happened to the much vaunted (signed from Munster) James French except we didn’t sign him from Munster but from some team in France (not named if not mistaken)… as long as Bryn keeps signing this quality of non prop and dresses them as something they aren’t I don’t see any light at the end of any tunnel.
Was he really much vaunted?

I’m not sure he was even vaunted.

Anyway, he signed after a spell in Australia and has been togging out for ‘Hinch.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I think unfortunately due to the nature of the URC we are overly reliant on Champions Cup rugby for income. I know people say we can drop down to the Challenge Cup and that's probably closer to our level, and I agree from a rugby point of view, but I am not so sure we can afford it financially.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND