Bryn Cunningham in the Daily Telegraph - stop thinking about winning

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Bryn Cunningham in the Daily Telegraph - stop thinking about winning

Post by Cockatrice »

Unless mistaken the Salary Cap for English Clubs is £5M whilst our cost last year was £6.5M not sure what Scotland and Wales or though I suspect it is lower … is it not just the French that have the financial weight and I don’t know about the Saffers…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Big-al wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 pm
justinr73 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:06 pm As you can’t quite bring yourself to admit, the signings in recent times have been pretty good.

You’re clearly struggling if you’re going back to Jones and Ross.
What about James French and Greg NcGarth, our two most recent signings on professional contracts? Or Dave Ewers?
Tell that to Dave Ewers. If his legs really have gone, he could hit you in the back of your head with one of his championship medals as you’re running away.

Look, what everyone seems to be missing here by blaming recruitment and the likes of Les Kiss and Dan McFarland (who both worked relative wonders in making a sow’s ear closely resemble a silk purse at times) is that the nine counties have managed to produce about the same number of decent players between them over the last ten years with only Stockdale cutting it as an international (for about three seasons anyway).

Given that Bryn is only allowed to bring in an occasional NIQ, other Provinces cast-offs and the Irish granny brigade, what the feck are you expecting and which Province has recruited better?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Jr73. Are you actually Bryn?
I think we should be told
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bobbievee wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:03 am Jr73. Are you actually Bryn?
I think we should be told
No, Dan.

I got rumbled last week.
jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

The problem is exacerbated by the utter shambles that should transition young players into the sphere of the academy from clubs and less traditional as well as the traditionally strong rugby schools. Parochialism and amateurism is rampant. Promising players are turned off by being ignored, often for far less capable players from other clubs and schools or even within their own club. A few years ago I was at a training session at one of my local clubs. One of the coaches from the academy arrived and after less than 3 minutes said, "Nobody here." That was it. He then got in his car and fecked off to the embarrassment of the club coaches. I had been encouraged to go along to see one player in particular by my friend, a former senior club head coach and player. He was right. The young fellow was fantastic. He got shafted later by the club hierarchy being controlled by 2 older players. He gave up and that was all she wrote.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

jacothelad wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:46 am The problem is exacerbated by the utter shambles that should transition young players into the sphere of the academy from clubs and less traditional as well as the traditionally strong rugby schools. Parochialism and amateurism is rampant. Promising players are turned off by being ignored, often for far less capable players from other clubs and schools or even within their own club. A few years ago I was at a training session at one of my local clubs. One of the coaches from the academy arrived and after less than 3 minutes said, "Nobody here." That was it. He then got in his car and fecked off to the embarrassment of the club coaches. I had been encouraged to go along to see one player in particular by my friend, a former senior club head coach and player. He was right. The young fellow was fantastic. He got shafted later by the club hierarchy being controlled by 2 older players. He gave up and that was all she wrote.
sadly a story that can be repeated provincewide
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Yep endemic- nothing has changed since I was at school 30 years ago and since.... Old boys network
Exterminate all rational thought
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:50 pm Yep endemic- nothing has changed since I was at school 30 years ago and since.... Old boys network
Always as and sadly always will be ….
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU