Richie Murphy - right man for the job?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Richie Murphy - right man for the job?

Post by Columbo »

The more I think about Murphy the more I like the fit - pros:

* Extensive experience in elite high-performance environments, namely Leinster and Ireland. Admittedly mostly under Schmidt, whose reputation suffered a bit on his way out of Ireland, but who nevertheless was extremely effective for Leinster and Ireland for a long time. He will know what a high-performing culture looks like.

* Highly successful tenure in charge of the 20s - going for third successive grand slam, in an era where the French are taking pathway and age grade seriously, is outstanding. The last couple of teams he has coached have been a joy to watch, drills are very tight, tactics on point and play some great rugby into the bargain.

* Expertise in skills & kicking - should enable Ulster to dispense with at least one other assistant coach, and he should do a much better job… particularly important if we are going to be more reliant on Flannery and maybe Doak / Lowry at 10

* Expertise in age grade development - all 4 provinces will be making do with slimmer senior squads and so ability to bring through academy talent will be key, and his knowledge of the age grade scene and experience developing players could be a great asset.

* He’s a Dub (or more precisely a Wicklow man) - I think over the next couple of years a big strategic issue that the IRFU will have to struggle with is the appropriate way to optimise player resources across the provinces. With things the way they are atm, a big part of this means how to ensure international players arent 3 deep at Leinster, failing to make squads for big games, while other provinces are losing matches because of lack of quality in the same position. There have been a couple of interpro moves, but really very few, and the status quo isn’t sustainable. Having a Leinsterman at the helm, never mind one who will know all of the Leinster players and in particular the young ones well, may not be a complete game changer in terms of making Ulster a more attractive destination, but it can’t harm. (Not saying that Ulster should be relying on Leinster, but it’s just a fact of life that things the way they are Leinster’s output is disproportionate, and IMO interpro switches will be more common, and more important)

* He will be highly motivated to succeed - every ambitious coach in and about the Irish system will want to lay down a marker over the next 3 years to put themselves in a position to land the Ireland job if Farrell moves on after the next WC. The U20s are a good springboard, but realistically not for a tilt at the senior job. This is maybe his best and only chance to put himself in the frame.

Cons:

* No senior head coach experience - dealing with senior players, including experienced internationals etc is a different kettle of fish to a bunch of 19-20 year olds, especially when you don’t even have to worry about their contracts etc. Obviously he has worked with senior squads before, but never as the top dog.

Other than that, not much?? I guess my only other concern is what latitude he would be given to build a team if he was to be offered the job permanently. The IRFU could well see it as an opportunity to do things on the cheap, and lumber him with the existing group for example…

I have to say I feel relief that Dan has gone, just hope the players are too, and when Murphy arrives here’s hoping for a big old rebound
..one more thing
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Richie Murphy - right man for the job?

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Plus: he's coached and is familiar with many of our current cubs and vice versa.

-ve: if this is an extended job interview will IRFU give him the necessary tools? If DF was a micro manager how much was the current coaching team held back? If I was Murphy my caveat would be a backroom team of my choice.
Exterminate all rational thought
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Murphy out
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:34 pmMurphy out
Start the Murphy clock!
Have we gone yet?
Dave out!
Me out!
UAFC out!
:cheers: :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I think you’re concentrating on Leinsters development too much. His experience within the Leinster development structures will hopefully lead to changes within the ulster development pathways.

Ulster is a province with over 2.3million people, whilst some argue a good percentages don’t relate to the Ulster rugby side mostly due to political differences etc the same can be said in Leinster and Munster. The GAA and football/soccer is big there too. We should be looking at improving our own system, instead of feeding off of Leinster. That won’t get us anywhere, we’ll only sign inferior players to what they have and they will always be that bit better.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I believe he was a Schools Cup winning captain too which will please Gusher.

Must be almost exactly the same age as Dan.

The players did seem to respond to some younger, high-achieving (in their playing days) coaches previously so maybe someone like Steenson or Whitten could chip in.
jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

Irrespective of who we have as coach, if we have to rely on the quality of Lowry, Flannery and Doak at 10 we may as well disband.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

To me the biggest question for the rest of the season is given he is only an interim will the players actually listen to him. If our culture was that toxic will the players and coaches overrelax, or will they be invigorated and get stuck into performing to their best. Interesting times, and a big challenge coming in halfway through the season with coaches you may not know that well.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Don't know an awful lot about him but he certainly has the U2O's playing well although how much of that is down to him I don't know. There is a conveyer belt of ready made pros coming his way especially from the Leinster system. It's ok til the end of the season but longer term I'd be extremely cautious. We don't want to be on the wrong end of an IRFU experiment yet again using unproven coaches at Ulster.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

HammerTime wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:36 pm Don't know an awful lot about him but he certainly has the U2O's playing well although how much of that is down to him I don't know. There is a conveyer belt of ready made pros coming his way especially from the Leinster system. It's ok til the end of the season but longer term I'd be extremely cautious. We don't want to be on the wrong end of an IRFU experiment yet again using unproven coaches at Ulster.
There's good Ulster representation in the U20s. If he can get them to kick on at senior level he'll have earned his corn.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

Big-al wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:15 pm I think you’re concentrating on Leinsters development too much. His experience within the Leinster development structures will hopefully lead to changes within the ulster development pathways.

Ulster is a province with over 2.3million people, whilst some argue a good percentages don’t relate to the Ulster rugby side mostly due to political differences etc the same can be said in Leinster and Munster. The GAA and football/soccer is big there too. We should be looking at improving our own system, instead of feeding off of Leinster. That won’t get us anywhere, we’ll only sign inferior players to what they have and they will always be that bit better.
He’s a good lad and proven himself as a coach at a high level in what is a constantly changing environment. Not sure he has dealt with coaching adults which is a worry.

In addition to what you have said on GAA. Leinster and Munster don’t lose the majority of grammar schools kids to Unis across the water. The exodus has improved in recent years but so many ulster players are lost out of the system. The old exiles system benefited Ulster more than any of the provinces and kept players in touch with the system.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Columbo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:11 pm The more I think about Murphy the more I like the fit - pros:
* He’s a Dub
I'd never put that as a pro
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Suspect we’d probably have to lose every game this season for him not to get it.

An Irish coach on the island of Ireland - who’d have thunk it?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Suspect we’d probably have to lose every game this season for him not to get it.

An Irish coach on the island of Ireland - who’d have thunk it?
It's ok if they are plucky or you think of an excuse: training, the ref, a break etc...a
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Murray Kinsella saying that Ulster and the IRFU are assessing other options, whilst Rugbypass reckon RM has been told the job is his to lose.

Murray also mentioned that Ewers could be heading back to England.