Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by justinr73 »

Ravenhillman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:41 am Stockdale’s defence is woeful too. He keeps biting in when he should stay wide. I think he’s getting worse rather than better?? :shock:
Doak wasn’t going to get the bloke for the try though.

Who missed the second tackle for the previous try? Flannery or Addison I’m assuming.
Last edited by justinr73 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Just seen the previous post!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Too much Gluhwein, Justin.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

How many men do you think it takes to get Marty Moore's shirt on?

My daughter reckons he's actually topless and it's skillfully painted on
Last edited by big mervyn on Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Think there’s still a drop of Whisky Mac in my flask but I’m either going to wait until noon or stand outside for a bit so I can justify drinking it to warm me up.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

We had some rather good mulled cider at HT.

I'll mull a bottle of cheap Shiraz the night
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Still the same problems: getting nothing from the breakdown (one steal from McCluskey or Stockdale I think); defensive frailty; lack of momentum coming onto the ball in attack; attacking in ones rather than pods; lineout; some daft kicking (although Jacob did have a couple of good chases).

As others have said, take the win and move on.

Spending tonight and tomorrow with my Mother in Law. Will take all donations of Gluhwein, ordinary mulled wine, meths...
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:
Ravenhillman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:41 am Stockdale’s defence is woeful too. He keeps biting in when he should stay wide. I think he’s getting worse rather than better?? :shock:

Who missed the second tackle for the previous try? Flannery or Addison I’m assuming.
Addison.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:13 am

My thought for the last Connacht try was that Doak made a complete haims, shooting out of the line and missing his man. Stockdale then had to try and 'bite in' to get Doaks man. The sort of tackle you'd hope he'd make a lot of the time, but far from easy and was Doaks balls up.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Biggest worry was the lineout again. Was right behind Stewart for two of them, nothing wrong with the darts, but Connacht seemed to have no bother working out where it was going with enough time to get a man up in front.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Stockdale actually made a decent read but he was that far away, due to the guy on the touchline, that he’d not much of a chance of getting there.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:52 pm Biggest worry was the lineout again. Was right behind Stewart for two of them, nothing wrong with the darts, but Connacht seemed to have no bother working out where it was going with enough time to get a man up in front.
Big Gav was supposed to be on the bench for them - he’s a pain in the hole.

Connacht got better ball from our lineout than from their own a lot of the time. Tredders nicked a couple I think.
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:48 pm

My thought for the last Connacht try was that Doak made a complete haims, shooting out of the line and missing his man. Stockdale then had to try and 'bite in' to get Doaks man. The sort of tackle you'd hope he'd make a lot of the time, but far from easy and was Doaks balls up.
Stockdale had already started to bite in before Doak had missed his tackle. If he had held his width he probably would have had a better chance of making his tackle.
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dharper wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:12 am A decidedly mediocre performance, and zero surprise. It definitely falls into the category of take the pts/win, and move on.

The double miss by Balacoune and Addison for the Connacht try was very poor especially being so close to the touch line.

However there were elements i did like: the pop passing/off loads did help half breaks in congested defensive channnels in the first half. The taking of pens for posts, a long overdue strategy of pragmatism, giving the pack a breather, and hopefully building more than a 1score buffer.

A gametime bonus for Addison showed improvement from previous games. I felt his passing and offloading was more accurate and his timing was better. His footwork pre contact is good. My major worry as previously stated is whether he has the pace to get to/through half gaps, in order to feed trail runners for the big bust. Time will tell.

No S Moore again, injured? He’s a good player, sparse mins in multi positions will do nobody any favours.
Addison was turned and treading water for their disallowed try which is concerning. Hopefully he gets a real run jnjury free but whats the odds? At 32 I doubt it'll get better sadly.

Moore for me is heir apparent.

Agree ref mediocre performance. A better team would've beaten us. Like I said after Racing, one swallow doesn't make a summer. How we play ( not even win) versus Leinster will tell a tale whether they walk it like they talk it.
Our defence remains porous, our attack supine, lateral and 1 dimensional
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Ravenhillman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:27 am
MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:48 pm

Stockdale had already started to bite in before Doak had missed his tackle. If he had held his width he probably would have had a better chance of making his tackle.
I think you need to watch it again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/67809083