Glasgow v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Silverstu
Initiate

Re: Glasgow v Ulster

Post by Silverstu »

Looks like Dan is sticking with rotation and giving lads a chance, probably saving a few who are carrying knocks. Impressive that he went for McNabney at 8 rather than just playing Matty Rea. It keeps the squad fresh - hopefully they will put in a good performance, front 5 looks good and the bench props are great too. But yes, very interested to see how McNabney goes at this level, that back row will need to put a shift in!
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Interesting team. 5 of the starting pack born and bred Ulstermen.

Fascinated by the back row. Could get slaughtered but if they manage to avoid that then it would be a massive result for the 3 of them, against a very good URC-level back row in a hostile place like Glasgow, with the Weegies boo-ing and hollering everytime the opposition draws a breath or farts.

Great to see Luke back again.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

So It Is wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:52 pm Interesting team. 5 of the starting pack born and bred Ulstermen.

Fascinated by the back row. Could get slaughtered but if they manage to avoid that then it would be a massive result for the 3 of them, against a very good URC-level back row in a hostile place like Glasgow, with the Weegies boo-ing and hollering everytime the opposition draws a breath or farts.

They aren't booing, big fans of Monty Burns from the Simpsons, Boo-urns! :lol:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:52 pm Interesting team. 5 of the starting pack born and bred Ulstermen.

+1. I'm happy these lads are getting the chance, rather than some of the AIL level filler we've used traditionally. Nearly £1m loss focusses the mind on using the resources sitting in front of you. It's worked for Stewart, Sheridan, McCann etc so a season of Ulster kids learning is ok by me.

Yayyy for Lukey >appl
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:56 pm

+1. I'm happy these lads are getting the chance, rather than some of the AIL level filler we've used traditionally. Nearly £1m loss focusses the mind on using the resources sitting in front of you. It's worked for Stewart, Sheridan, McCann etc so a season of Ulster kids learning is ok by me.

Yayyy for Lukey >appl
Exactly.

Hopefully the days of starting the likes of Clive Ross, GJ and Matty are over, and we become a breeding ground again for angry young culchie forwards that love hurting things.

Give the young lads a fair crack, and if they are still gash after 2 years in the academy, and 2 years in senior squad getting 5 or 6 starts a year and a few bench appearances, cut them loose.

And hand it over to the next batch.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

I see Glasgow A were edged out by Edinburgh A 26-27 today. Maybe they win the game if Duncan Weir had been available >EW

Glasgow using the above game for the last game in his ban so he can magically face Ulster 24 hours later.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:25 pm I see Glasgow A were edged out by Edinburgh A 26-27 today. Maybe they win the game if Duncan Weir had been available >EW

Glasgow using the above game for the last game in his ban so he can magically face Ulster 24 hours later.
I like wee Duncky. Very underrated. And better than facing big Duncky Ferguson
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

My concern remains how ulster handle the young guys if they do show real promise after giving them a few starts.

Marcus Rea was 1st choice alongside DV and Timoney 2 seasons ago in a pretty strong ulster team which lost 2 tight knockout games. Last season he was sparingly used and looked to have considerably regressed by the end. He should have been given more chances early on last season and if he wasn't cutting it then fine, drop him. I worry the same thing will happen with Sheridan. Needs to be getting plenty of gametime, starting or bench.

Sheridan should be looked at as a lock, as ulster badly short of quality and even personnel in that area. AOC and Tredwell have reached their ceilings and I don't think Izzy is going to be top level.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The memory can play funny tricks at times.

Marcus Rea played in the first five rounds of the URC last season and made six starts and one appearance off the bench in the first nine games.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Was there a rumour that marcus was particularly badly hit by the sickness picked up in South Africa? He never seemed the same player even when he came back from it.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Marcus is worth persevering with
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Stunning opening 14 mins from Ulster. Let's not do a Connacht!! Fair play McNabney!!!
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Glasgow should have had that try disallowed there. Gap came from a Glasgow player tackling Sheridan as he was trying to fill in at pillar.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

What happened flannery?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

And just like that Ulster went all brain dead. All started by Addison not knowing what the fk was going on on the Glasgow line.