Ulster v Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Munster

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:03 pm Pretty dismal twenty minutes…
True, but we nilled them for the next 60 though. :D

Any interpro win is a good win - I'll take it. :fleg: :fleg: :fleg:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I'm not sure how these things work, but does that make Munster the fourth province now? :stir:

It was a far from a flawless performance and a first twenty minutes to forget, but much improved thereafter. The power we were able to bring off the bench was the difference in the end.

First time I've seen Scott Wilson and definitely want there to be more of it. After his cameo off the bench there wouldn't mind him being given a start against the Lions next week. I'd assumed that Griffin, McGrath and French all being signed to sit in front of him in the pecking order meant that the coaching set up didn't have much faith in him. Reminds me of how many injuries it took for Chris Henry to get his first look in as a 24 year old, then he never looked back. Fingers crossed...
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

If the lad from Saracens is ever fit, we might not see much of either Rea.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:13 am I'm not sure how these things work, but does that make Munster the fourth province now? :stir:

It was a far from a flawless performance and a first twenty minutes to forget, but much improved thereafter. The power we were able to bring off the bench was the difference in the end.

First time I've seen Scott Wilson and definitely want there to be more of it. After his cameo off the bench there wouldn't mind him being given a start against the Lions next week. I'd assumed that Griffin, McGrath and French all being signed to sit in front of him in the pecking order meant that the coaching set up didn't have much faith in him. Reminds me of how many injuries it took for Chris Henry to get his first look in as a 24 year old, then he never looked back. Fingers crossed...
And AOC..

My concern is the difference in squad strength it took us to get across the line, and we were hanging on.

I'm not doubt being churlish lol
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:17 am There is talk of an Irish province signing Oli Jager from the Crusaders, would be surprised if it isn't Munster.
It is and they'll get all the help they need from FIRFU
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Alot of talk about Scott Wilson. Fair play to the lad, great debut. No more beautiful sight in rugby than an Ulster scrum sending a Turnip one backwards at a rate of knots.

Odds on Dan dropping him until next year's preseason friendlies off the back of it however?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am Alot of talk about Scott Wilson. Fair play to the lad, great debut. No more beautiful sight in rugby than an Ulster scrum sending a Turnip one backwards at a rate of knots.

Odds on Dan dropping him until next year's preseason friendlies off the back of it however?
No one will take your bet SII
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

I haven’t seen any praise for Eo’S - i thought he had a good match and played all 80 minutes. Timoney and McCann very good. Hume was badly missed and big Stu is as thick as ever.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Sir Ivor wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:18 am I haven’t seen any praise for Eo’S - i thought he had a good match and played all 80 minutes. Timoney and McCann very good. Hume was badly missed and big Stu is as thick as ever.
EOS put in a steady shift. Timoney isn't on best form imo. Ewers made a big difference- huge man.

Decent backrow depth, given Sheridan can play there- like to see Reffell back- due a run but a tackle nachine. Ewers, Timoney and McCann formidable, just worry none are out and out 7s
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

That was a pretty awful performance. That first 30 was as bad as anything seen in the DMF era. So lethargic. How can you be so up for a game in Galway one week and then the next look like you don't give a sh!t in front of 16k of your own supporters? Second half of course was better and the defence in the last 10 was superb tbf. Although Munster were throwing everything in that last 10 they were out on their feet. Poor atmosphere until Ulster got the finger out but that is always the case. These games against Munster are always brutal to watch as even their academy players will battle for everything. So a win is a win. Fair play to McCann, Wilson ... looked the part. Marcus Rea??? Simply not or anywhere near good enough. Doak must be one of the most overrated youngster's in Irish rugby. Hopefully another win v Lions next week and then a tough trip to Glasgow will tell a lot about this Ulster team.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Rea, Doak and Burns miss far too many tackles. Munster got a lot of momentum early on in the first 20 minutes because of the odd missed tackle and a poor scrum.

RE; Scott Wilson - I think Ulster and Ulster fans will settle for another solid, dependable prop like Andy Warwick and not worry about producing an Irish international. Tom O’toole will be away on Irish duty a lot over the next 10 years and Ulster will need a reliable understudy. Hopefully he proves to be this generations Marty Moore.

The Lions have a very good scrum and will look to test Ulster a lot next week.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Building on much that has been said.

E'OS had a good game, to a level of performance we know he is capable of but hasn't hit for a couple of seasons. More please Eric.

I'm unsure whether Stewart having the captaincy took away from him concentrating on his own game. McGrath is a 4th choice prop no more no less, lets not have unrealistic expectations. Delighted with Wilsons debut, but he had an armchair ride at scrum time. A fresh Henderson and Ewers up his backside and Herring on beside him, McGrath scrummed with Izzy and Rea, ballast just not there regardless of ability. He was good in the loose, carried well, let's hope its not a few seasons before his next game.

Treadwell back to doing dumb things, no look pass fired into Ewers for a certain knock on after about 70 odd minutes typified his performance.

Real concerns over Rea Jr, he was outmuscled all night and had no energy. As mentioned elsewhere we have no out and out 7 and he looked like he could fill that role. We only have to look back to the Connacht knock out game and how many turnovers they got which ultimately won them the game that we need depth at openside.

If McCann plays like that week in week out, he should be around the Ireland squad come 6 nations, he has the pedigree. How much did the medicene ball knock out at training hamper him?

Ewers and Henderson coming on together was a sight to behold. Ewers a great addition.

Nothing much to say on the backs, has not being selected for the World Cup been mentally exactly what Stockdale needs? He was playing with a smile on his face. He was great tonight, collected kicks he would of knocked on last season. Wishing McIlroy a speedy recovery.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

So It Is wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am Alot of talk about Scott Wilson. Fair play to the lad, great debut. No more beautiful sight in rugby than an Ulster scrum sending a Turnip one backwards at a rate of knots.

Well deserved praise for Scott Wilson, but let's not get carried away.

He's not the Messiah - he's just a naughty boy who mashed a few Turnips. Very good turnips too, and a beautiful sight seeing that happen, I hasten to add.

However, talk of him starting next week is surely a bit premature? Let the guy develop and not be expecting too much of him too soon.

Did no one notice that before the final play last night he was down having his calves stretched? Seemingly cramping (or in danger of cramping) after less than 30 minutes on the pitch. That is not a criticism. It's a fact that he has made a big step up in the level he was playing at and will need time to build fitness into his game. There's a world of difference scrummaging against professional props and those he has been used to playing in AIL, week-in, week-out.

Like I say, well deserved praise for Scott, and I loved watching him last night. I hope to see a lot more of that, but I would expect to see it from the bench a bit more before he's starting for Ulster. I wouldn't be wanting to make tactical substitutions of props in the first half of a match because he's spent after 30-40 minutes. By all means bring him on before the opposition refresh their front row to let him build his confidence even more against a tired opponents.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

RIP the rolling maul. It pitch has weakened the efficacy of Ulster's only WMD...discuss:
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Evil Kiwi wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:21 pm RIP the rolling maul. It pitch has weakened the efficacy of Ulster's only WMD...discuss:
Glasgow would disagree it's their biggest weapon at home. Crucified us away last season with it if memory serves me correctly. Open to correction as I'm not 100% sure.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18