pre-season friendlies

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: pre-season friendlies

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:32 pm With McGrath on, one scrum in first half went backwards quite quickly. Another one went forwards quite quickly. Maybe some scrum experts can explain. I thought Griffin looked quite unfit. I will need to see more. Ross Kane seems no worse than any 3rd/4th choice we've had since. No Marty for another while and Jeff has left. The tighthead stocks are very concerning.
Agreed ref Kane and the rest. I always wonder what sort of expert mentoring these guys get at UR, but I suppose DMcF is a scrum guru after all :sleeping:
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Ulster Rugby announcement after 7pm. Signing?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Jetstream wrote:Ulster Rugby announcement after 7pm. Signing?
Pitch probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Well that was an anti climax :lol:
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Ps. What is with all this "dropping" ballex? UR love using the term ffs.

American Hip Hop vocab makes the ears of anyone over the age of 25's ears bleed.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

At least he confirms it was himself that limited the ulster game plan.

Still, if pre-season is anything to go by his decision has been justified. Backs have not been up to much.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:54 pm
Pitch probably

Was in Ravers last week. Pitch certainly looks impressive. Does feel odd though.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

kingofthehill wrote:
Pitch probably

It certainly was a pitch by Dan.
To do what though:
Save his job?
Share the blame?
Explain that results don't matter as long as you have fun?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

So what was the announcement? I'll not sleep tonight if I don't know.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote:
Pitch probably

To do what though:
Save his job?
Share the blame?
As long as you're a leader in the dressing room and the cleverest player ever in your head
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:29 am
jean valjean wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote:
Pitch probably

To do what though:
Save his job?
Share the blame?
As long as you're a leader in the dressing room and the cleverest player ever in your head

A puff piece. Self promotion. Everyone so happy. Not a nasty word or a sign of aggression.
Must watch it again when I am trying to get off to sleep.
Tel
Novice

Post by Tel »

I don’t see any point in blaming Dan. I would perhaps look elsewhere when seeking to apportion blame. Ulster need to get back to a position where ravenhill is to be feared by opposing teams. I can’t help thinking local talent has to be fostered . As I see it this season is already lost but there is an opportunity to develop and enhance the squad. Take a chance and play the likes of Sheridan,Sexton and Postlethwaite for an extended period and see.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Tel wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:03 pm I don’t see any point in blaming Dan. I would perhaps look elsewhere when seeking to apportion blame. Ulster need to get back to a position where ravenhill is to be feared by opposing teams. I can’t help thinking local talent has to be fostered . As I see it this season is already lost but there is an opportunity to develop and enhance the squad. Take a chance and play the likes of Sheridan,Sexton and Postlethwaite for an extended period and see.
We need a front 5 to be feared, first and foremost.
Ginge will be good. Well stocked at Hooker. Nada beyond Marty at TH. Hendy will probably trot out for us 4 or 5 times this year but apart from that we'll have AOC/Treaders. Hopefully Izzy will come into the picture as well. So yeah, we need a TH, and better options at lock.

Back row could have potential. A combination of Sheridan, Rea (not Matty), Ewers and Timoney is useful and fairly abrasive. I'm still not over McCann's missed tackle on Baird against Leinster, so hes still on my sh!t list for the forseeable.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So It Is wrote:
Tel wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:03 pm I don’t see any point in blaming Dan. I would perhaps look elsewhere when seeking to apportion blame. Ulster need to get back to a position where ravenhill is to be feared by opposing teams. I can’t help thinking local talent has to be fostered . As I see it this season is already lost but there is an opportunity to develop and enhance the squad. Take a chance and play the likes of Sheridan,Sexton and Postlethwaite for an extended period and see.
We need a front 5 to be feared, first and foremost.
Ginge will be good. Well stocked at Hooker. Nada beyond Marty at TH. Hendy will probably trot out for us 4 or 5 times this year but apart from that we'll have AOC/Treaders. Hopefully Izzy will come into the picture as well. So yeah, we need a TH, and better options at lock.

Back row could have potential. A combination of Sheridan, Rea (not Matty), Ewers and Timoney is useful and fairly abrasive. I'm still not over McCann's missed tackle on Baird against Leinster, so hes still on my sh!t list for the forseeable.
To be fair, if we had as good a backup as TOT is for moore in the other 14 positions we'd be well set.
Hume, moore, baloucoune, stockdale and lowry as home grown younsters need to have a word with themselves and decide if they want to lead ulster to something in the next 5 years or sit comfortably as a provincial pro looking on as less talented players get picked for Ireland.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Have we seen Sean Reffell during pre-season?