Petries Answering Questions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Petries Answering Questions

Post by justinr73 »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:32 pm Yeah. The terrace isn't pleasant when it's at capacity. I'm more than happy to take a dump on BCC, but this time they're right. I've heard UR are looking at filling in the corners.
I thought you were saying you were more than happy to take a dump at Ravenhill.

I had one at half-time at Swansea once. Much quieter and very clean. Plenty of paper, hot water etc.
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

I had heard BCC accused Ulster of overselling the East Terrace and Promenade. I've heard of people who buy cheaper tickets for Family or Memorial ends and the use a firend's screen grab to get on the other terraces. I think this has led to the overcrowding issues that started the problem.

That being said, there was plenty of space on the Terrace on Saturday and no need for the steps and rear concourse to be like they were. Eventsec used to have stewards pitchside asking people to move along and make space. This seemed to help avoid situations like Saturday.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

I know for a fact that they’re looking at filling in the corners, but there’s no money lads, nada, albeit that pitchgate, £500k drunk down the drain, just should not have happened, and does annoy.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Setting aside the frozen pitch debacle, the figures suggest that UR still made a loss of 300/400k. How? Why?

Fairly Steady ( although falling ) ticket income from a loyal fan base can only mean too many players, or salaries too high, or too many non players and admin…….and more salaries too high.

Is there a plan somewhere to tackle this?
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I suspect part of the problem on the terraces is the feeding in from the back. On the original terrace you entered from the front and as you walked along you could see where there were spaces in the crowd but filling from the rear it is difficult to see spaces especially in the lower levels. It is some years now since I-was a terrace dweller on the east terrace but in my section we had an Event Sec Female steward who was excellent and there every week who kept the gangways clear and made sure people made the most of the space. In the days when we fed in from the front there was of course no official reservations but the regulars all had thre allotted spots. Personally I miss the terrace but age and infirmity meant that having to be in your spot 60 mins before the game was no longer feasible and a seat became necessary. Only problem with a seat is you get some occasional attendees who come for the “ social” event and spend the game either arriving late ( having taken time on the way in to get a pint or G&T) then spend the game chatting about something irrelevant or going out and back for refills. It seems to surprise some of them that other people go regularly to support the team and want to watch the match.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Filling from the bottom could still be done if they made people walk down along the front from either end.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:25 am Setting aside the frozen pitch debacle, the figures suggest that UR still made a loss of 300/400k. How? Why?

Fairly Steady ( although falling ) ticket income from a loyal fan base can only mean too many players, or salaries too high, or too many non players and admin…….and more salaries too high.

Is there a plan somewhere to tackle this?
Our squad is a lot smaller this season.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dharper wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:47 am I actually thought it was very interesting he was even mentioning the playing style and selection of squads, which is as a CEO nothing to do with his role/responsibility.

That said, IF he is telling the truth (clearly DMcF has to be onboard with this as head coach), and we start playing our young forwards in particular far more, and give Flannery a real go at 10 I’ll be very happy in deed. I’m willing to risk the occasional loss, by blooding and investing in our young players. I genuinely hope we now avoid journeymen signings as much as possible and back our academy players where possible instead.

Even as a die hard rugby man it is very difficult to get excited over repetitive rolling mauls….especially when you know they are unlikely to work against the top sides. Frankly I think it showed a lack of confidence and imagination by the coaching tkt to revert to such a conservative game….and I cant imagine it’s a “great sell” either for players or casual supporters.
I did think the comment about the strategy being semi produced by the weather/pitch was a bit of a cop out frankly.

Hopefully great news on Addison, I genuinely think if he could stay fit at 15, he will nigh on transform our backline attack.

I hope as I’ve previously stated that some key goals going forward this season won’t be pts, wins, or necessarily league positioning but will take a longer term view re young player development and style of play.

As an aside, how long does the pitch take to re lay. I’ve got a nagging doubt this artificial pitch for start of season isn’t quite as straightforward as it should be.
Dunno what it is about Flannery that has people wanting him in to replace Billy. He's had enough chances and hasn't shown anything special for me. I would put him in the Dave Shanners class of squad filler, but he's 24/25 and hasn't established himself here or in Munster.

At that age, Paddy was already a very well established 10 and capped by Ireland.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get the Flannery hype. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but we don't require nice guys. Sorry.

Awaits incoming. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:45 pm Agree on both those points Al.
Doubt in my lifetime I'll see another All Ulster BR of the quality of Wilson Best and Ferris. As for locks...... Before Ferris, only Caldwell back to Boat? Pish
Buzz Lightyear? (Jeremy Davison)
I'm not arguing -
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:51 pm
Doubt in my lifetime I'll see another All Ulster BR of the quality of Wilson Best and Ferris. As for locks...... Before Ferris, only Caldwell back to Boat? Pish
Surely Buzz and Paddy Johns were before Boat? But point is valid either way 👍
Exterminate all rational thought
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:37 pm
Dharper wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:47 am I actually thought it was very interesting he was even mentioning the playing style and selection of squads, which is as a CEO nothing to do with his role/responsibility.

That said, IF he is telling the truth (clearly DMcF has to be onboard with this as head coach), and we start playing our young forwards in particular far more, and give Flannery a real go at 10 I’ll be very happy in deed. I’m willing to risk the occasional loss, by blooding and investing in our young players. I genuinely hope we now avoid journeymen signings as much as possible and back our academy players where possible instead.

Even as a die hard rugby man it is very difficult to get excited over repetitive rolling mauls….especially when you know they are unlikely to work against the top sides. Frankly I think it showed a lack of confidence and imagination by the coaching tkt to revert to such a conservative game….and I cant imagine it’s a “great sell” either for players or casual supporters.
I did think the comment about the strategy being semi produced by the weather/pitch was a bit of a cop out frankly.

Hopefully great news on Addison, I genuinely think if he could stay fit at 15, he will nigh on transform our backline attack.

I hope as I’ve previously stated that some key goals going forward this season won’t be pts, wins, or necessarily league positioning but will take a longer term view re young player development and style of play.

As an aside, how long does the pitch take to re lay. I’ve got a nagging doubt this artificial pitch for start of season isn’t quite as straightforward as it should be.
Dunno what it is about Flannery that has people wanting him in to replace Billy. He's had enough chances and hasn't shown anything special for me. I would put him in the Dave Shanners class of squad filler, but he's 24/25 and hasn't established himself here or in Munster.

At that age, Paddy was already a very well established 10 and capped by Ireland.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get the Flannery hype. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but we don't require nice guys. Sorry.

You won’t have to duck too low…..

Look I don’t think JF is the new Dan Carter or he’ll necessarily be no1 10, however BB was being played when not fit, and kept on the pitch when injured last season. I don’t agree with that when there is an option on the bench. If any player cannot be trusted to do a job, they shouldn’t be at UR….you’d then need to look at recruitment and coaching if they can’t be improved. DMcF is a pretty conservative coach re selection, which couldn’t be great for squad morale.

As an aside, Addison is getting better, slowly.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Marco wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:53 am I know for a fact that they’re looking at filling in the corners, but there’s no money lads, nada, albeit that pitchgate, £500k drunk down the drain, just should not have happened, and does annoy.
Heard rumours but wasn't sure. Maybe the Irish Govt will throw us a few Euros. They're giving the other provinces plenty for Stadia.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:06 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:51 pm
Surely Buzz and Paddy Johns were before Boat? But point is valid either way 👍
Just checked re Buzz v The Boat.

Was surprised to see they were more or less contemporaries. I was sure Boat predated Buzz - which he does, but only by a couple of years, and Buzz's career ended before Boat's due to a bad knee injury iirc.

I honestly thought the Boat's career was finished before Buzz had started. Well well, ya live and learn.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dharper wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:29 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:37 pm

You won’t have to duck too low…..

Look I don’t think JF is the new Dan Carter or he’ll necessarily be no1 10, however BB was being played when not fit, and kept on the pitch when injured last season. I don’t agree with that when there is an option on the bench. If any player cannot be trusted to do a job, they shouldn’t be at UR….you’d then need to look at recruitment and coaching if they can’t be improved. DMcF is a pretty conservative coach re selection, which couldn’t be great for squad morale.

As an aside, Addison is getting better, slowly.
With Addison's injury record, it must take a hell of a time to rebuild confidence again. Probably going into every tackle, every side-step, every kick waiting and dreading what's gonna break next. Sadly while in the repair shop, his best years have been ticking away too.

I do agree that he is improving slowly, but am concerned that he might never regain the skills he had when first taken into the Ireland squad, and certain that is he does get close, he'll not stay at that level as long as he possibly should.

If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. To those who are being very critical of him since his return, I suggest you give him a break, sorry, give him a chance. He's probably as critical of himself as any on this messageboard, and knows full well what he needs to do. Knowing it and doing it are not the same thing of course - it's all down to rebuilding confidence, firstly in his body, then in his skills.

Re Flannery, he's not the answer to Ulster's requirements at 10, but then again good 10s don't grow on trees. You just need to look at Ireland to see that there aint that many good ones around. Yes Janny The Loop was an exceptional 10, but there really was no one pressing him for the shirt once Paddy was banished from these shores. If there had been, even Janny may have retired 4 years earlier.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:53 am I know for a fact that they’re looking at filling in the corners, but there’s no money lads, nada, albeit that pitchgate, £500k drunk down the drain, just should not have happened, and does annoy.
Unless and until Ulster are regularly selling out Ravenspan, it doesn't make economic sense to fill in the corners. Plans were drawn up at the same time as the ground was redeveloped and paid for by British Government, and maybe we could have pushed our luck for the extra dosh to do it then, but the simple fact is (and was) that unless you're consistently getting 18,200 (or 16,700 under existing covid restrictions), there's really not a lot of point in increasing to 22k-23k by adding seats that would be amongst the least desirable in the ground.

But yes, Pitchgate and the loss of £500k-£700k or whatever it actually amounted to, really should not have happened.
I'm not arguing -