What If……

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

What If……

Post by Dharper »

Over the summer UR decide to go down a long term route…..the long overdue realisation of treading water in the league, with an inability to win knock out games, with sticking plaster NIQs, being nolonger satisfactory, is decided.

SK and Ewers are decided as the last of the NIQs for 5yrs, unless exceptional circumstances and value present themselves.

DMcF goals are set at league play offs, and to win euro home games, or if against the very best in Europe…..to push them all the way.
DMcF is told UR are to be identifiable with an attacking expressive game….risks an all. UR will be seen as an organisation that will champion young player development and match blooding.

Instead UR goals for the next 5yrs are set at: underage int representation, and set number of senior games for the most talented of the academy, particularly in problematic positions within the current senior squad….even if occasionally it could cost results. Talented youngster trumps ave pro.

Financial investment into Academy coaching development, and talent identification/poaching in state schools is prioritised over NIQs. Elite level coaches will be favoured over NIQs.

….Would anyone really care we dont have NIQs? I personally don’t think it’d affect tkt sales or sponsorship, if UR are seen to be championing domestic development. Thoughts?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: What If……

Post by HammerTime »

Nobody would have the balls at UR. As someone who always enjoyed a big name signing I’d now much prefer the money to be directed towards under age rugby. Long term it’s our only hope. 1 or 2 big name signings aren’t going to make much of a difference anyway. They can’t do it all themselves.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

They end up coming down to everyone else's level anyway....as the realisation sinks in. Then think of the money- RP the exception.
Would that mean bad crowds every week?
I'd be happy we spent the money on a pathway for our own, targeting outside the usual schools and offering scholarships that are worth pursuing instead of minimum wage. Going into Monaghan, Donegal, Cavan, secondary schools where kids have football skills, etc and getting some big farming or estate hallions, and give them a chance of a future.
But cash and bums on seats is king. There is less antipathy playing for Ulster than say NI in football equivalence, so it should open up opportunities for a wider catchment. Sadly it's still seen as an elite state/ Protestant grammar schools game. The chances of any school other than the usual handful, let alone a secondary school like the Model, integrated or CCMS winning the schools cup again is non existent, despite the odd run a few decades ago.
UR don't have a plan, a pathway, nor two clues about developing grassroots talent. Some probably don't give 2 f#cks as long as their sinecure is protected. Sure the Master Race or Methody will save us.
Exterminate all rational thought
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I hear that more lads play hockey than rugby at Methody these days. Anybody confirm or deny this?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:56 pm I hear that more lads play hockey than rugby at Methody these days. Anybody confirm or deny this?
No change then, Methody girls didn't look great in my day either when I ventured up to the big smoke.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18