Where do we go from here?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:06 pm Where we go from here, unfortunately is almost 6 months with no proper rugby.

Unless one is a FIRFUCs lacky , or like me, a fan of Saffer rugby and hoping to see them retaining the RWC, the next 6 months is of very little interest.

Some interesting thoughts from allcomers on this thread, however none of them are anywhere close to a solution never mind a complete solution.
The complete solution of course is to duplicate/replicate the Mexican system in its entirety, though in practical terms that is all but impossible, for very obvious reasons.

One of the less obvious is that whilst UR bugga’d about Mexico employed Dawson as CEO from , I think, 2003 and had a proper CEO, working diligently to better the organisation rather than having a clown like SLogan who wanted to be the story rather than to facilitate the story, his ludicrous crap about WD the most obvious nonsense but far from isolated. Not for him remaining behind the scenes improving the organisation.
I see his bullshite mirrored these days in the crapology of the extreme right in the USA, the notion that all you have to do to be the supreme being is to indoctrinate at every opportunity.

So that put us the greater part of a decade behind our closest rivals and nemesis.

Briefly, back with SLogan, I see the downturn in crowds and craic at Ravenhill as inextricably linked to SLogan’s 7 commandments of “How we behave”, a pile of nonsense that in my considered opinion turned off many decent raucous Ulster fans, who had no need of re-education, with the Sunday school teacher approach, an attempt to dictate through utter drivel.

For anyone with a shred of common sense, you must recognise that the gap to Mexico is unbridgeable, not simply for Ulster but for any Irish team, most certainly for the financially challenged Welsh Scots and Italians, thought thje depth in talent will likely mean SA can challenge on a regular basis.

The Mexicans have every single advantage, population, their schools system, the financial bonus of so many players in the Irish squad, great access to large sponsors, a vast pool of well-heeled potential benefactors and not least their “preferred” status with FIRFUCs.
Of course, in any given season it’s not impossible for someone to catch them on a bad day. Bulls did it in Dublin last year, Connacht in 2015 but in general terms, it will always be the exception rather than an expectation. They are literally in a different league to the rest of the URC teams.
Can things be better at Ulster? Of course, they can, however, it needs to be understood that what we are capable of will always only be small incremental steps.

People need to understand that, no Mark McCall will never be back, same as dozens of players that have moved on, most never to be heard of again, can anyone tell me how Sugar’s rugby career is going? Some like Dizzy go on to a good career but are few and far between, most potter about a wee while and then get a proper job.

And so, to YOUR future as an Ulster supporter. I have learned, admittedly late in life, that simply wishing for something does not make it so.
You can go one of two ways, you can decide on the “slings & arrows” approach, and decide to greet the twin imposters with as close to equanimity as your small particle of brain allows. To enjoy the good days, let go of the bad ones as quickly as possible, refrain from all delusions of grandeur that something is possible to match and overtake Mexico.

Or you can struggle against the wind that is hurling more than just water at you, you can strive for solutions where none exist. In reality, you will get just as much return from prayer, though I do understand those who claim the great benefit of inner peace via that route.

The die is cast people of Ulster, whatever Ulster do, Mexico will do more and better, without some enormous influx of semolians and a change in the FIRFUC structure of financing the provinces we haven’t a pot to pish in, no real way to challenge, never mind change our fate.

ACCEPTANCE of reality is a wonderful thing, feck false hope, feck people peddling unreasonable expectations, the fact is that everyone hereabouts would have settled for 2nd behind Mexico in the table and would have seen it as progress. Make that same off in mid-January and your hand would have been bitten off.

The chappie in the woodpile? The devastation everyone from Al O’Connor to me felt in that woeful first hour against Connacht. That knocks the notion of improvement squarely in the ballbeg.

My forecast for next season: More of the same with a high risk of rain.
Agree with about 90% Baggy.
Agree ref Leireland but top or close to the top of the chasing pack should be clearly within our gift to earn a right to a shot at the Kings. However 2nd means f*CK all if we fail at the first hurdle at "fortress" Ravers. The chasing pack of Stormers, Sharks Bulls Weegies Munster and Westies have a combination of either good coaches / internationals or both, but plenty of filler. We have few if any starting internationals due to Leireland's dominance, which should give us a settled squad especially in the international windows, but we are poorly coached imo. Like all of the pack above listed, we have some good, some dross, some injury prone etc. But significant weaknesses or injury ravaged in key areas- 10, lock, Back row, TH. Ewers and Kitschoff will shore it up but unless we have confidence in these coaches bringing through McNabney, Hopes etc and turning Sheridan from raw talent to starting lock, then we are going to struggle even in that chasing pack. I don't btw- Stewart and Sheridan will make it in spite of them.

In almost every recent knock out game we've shat the bed habitually, which is a mental block that we have not shaken and the renowned mentalist has not come close to sorting, despite the hype and 5 years.
A better coach or coaching team will get more from this squad and release some of the latent potential definitely present in glimpses. They have a fairly even squad with the weakness listed, but stability in international windows to get a squad cohesion and belligerent Ulster mindset. However, Fight for every inch, like SUFTUM, now sounds tired and stale. Coaches have a lifespan then nothing new to say.
Westies were smart and effective rather than superior. We had every right to expect to beat them, but none of us were surprised when we didn't. Outrage that we never really threw a punch at home in a QF and full path to the final, which is a reasonable expectation and aspiration when avoiding Leireland.
Time and time again we don't turn up- forget Leireland- I'm talking Weegies twice ( was at both) Connacht, etc. This is a team that fears being favourites which is one key to aspiring to the top table. That team was haunted when it took the pitch and visibly drained. Distilled down, we fail to win games that really matter.
That is the job of the coaching team and squad leaders- all of which consistently fail in the key test every time. The " kids" ironically, play and have played without fear- I fear they will go the same way as the rest and the generational weakness that haunts UR will continue.
Munster have overall weaker squad imo but when it matters, all the cliches we laugh at they deliver- guts, pashun, pride in the Jersey, stand up and fight- well, they do. And they will rattle Leireland.
Good luck to Westies- hope they do a number on Stormers who as Munster showed ( and did us a favour) can be got at. Just not by our little flowers.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Fri May 12, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I also agree with Baggy, I have zero affiliation to the IRFU and hope to see the Staffers retain the WC.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Can you guys be more specific? Saffers doesn't really narrow it down
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Baggy is right. In the circumstances, aiming for 2nd / achieving 2nd is as good as we are going to get. But playing like last week , we will be lucky to finish in Top 8 ( and this end of season anyway as we have away we against top 4 etc)
What was most disappointing was the lack of "fight" and the inability to identify what was going wrong and at least trying something different to address it . A combination of getting smashed backwards in forward charges, a rush Connaght defence being up amongst the slow passing and predictable back line, and isolated runners........plus aimless kickin g and weak up and unders. Time and time and time again. All fixable, or at least tweakable. What are all the coaching and analyst team doing during the 80 minutes, sitting with their screens and their mikes and their statistics?
Get rid of the whole bunch of them . Whatever it costs.. Crowd of under achieving expensive wasters.
God help us, even the commentary team could do a better job!;
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Dave wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:32 am Can you guys be more specific? Saffers doesn't really narrow it down
How many saffers teams are in the world cup?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bobbievee wrote:
Dave wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:32 am Can you guys be more specific? Saffers doesn't really narrow it down
How many saffers teams are in the world cup?
There are a lot of saffers going.

Also a lot of spit.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:I'd love to see Ulster win another trophy but given the freakish strength of Leinster right now (unlike ireland so far, they would probably be good enough to make at least the rwc semi finals) I am realistic enough to know that's unlikely to happen anytime soon. However Ulster should be very much in the chasing pack and with home advantage against a team which at best is probably towards the back of that chasing pack, being completely outplayed was very deflating. After a defeat you sometimes think "8 or 9 times out of 10 we would have won that game", which usually means there was a red card, some bad luck or whatever, but in this case Ulster was outplayed by what looked a much better team.

Of all Ulster's knockout defeats, this was by far the most disappointing . Others have been gutting a la Toulouse last year, but this was simply disappointing.
No, no, no, no.... Ulster winning a trophy would merely raise expectations, which is the last thing we need right now.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bobbievee wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:44 am Baggy is right. In the circumstances, aiming for 2nd / achieving 2nd is as good as we are going to get. But playing like last week , we will be lucky to finish in Top 8 ( and this end of season anyway as we have away we against top 4 etc)
What was most disappointing was the lack of "fight" and the inability to identify what was going wrong and at least trying something different to address it . A combination of getting smashed backwards in forward charges, a rush Connaght defence being up amongst the slow passing and predictable back line, and isolated runners........plus aimless kickin g and weak up and unders. Time and time and time again. All fixable, or at least tweakable. What are all the coaching and analyst team doing during the 80 minutes, sitting with their screens and their mikes and their statistics?
Get rid of the whole bunch of them . Whatever it costs.. Crowd of under achieving expensive wasters.
Apart from Leinster the rest of the 8 depends on player availability etc. All things being equal ie knock out where it all on the line, then we're definitely not second. 4/5th at a push. 2nd is specious and distorted.
With Dan allegedly looking to other clubs ( albeit Leicester are a bigger club) it maybe reveals a state of mind and maybe he feels he's went as far as he can?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

:salut: Told you Turnips would rattle Leireland. Well done :bowdown: >TT >appl
We can only dream of that type of guts and tenacity :flower:
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:17 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:44 am Baggy is right. In the circumstances, aiming for 2nd / achieving 2nd is as good as we are going to get. But playing like last week , we will be lucky to finish in Top 8 ( and this end of season anyway as we have away we against top 4 etc)
Apart from Leinster the rest of the 8 depends on player availability etc. All things being equal ie knock out where it all on the line, then we're definitely not second. 4/5th at a push. 2nd is specious and distorted.
With Dan allegedly looking to other clubs ( albeit Leicester are a bigger club) it maybe reveals a state of mind and maybe he feels he's went as far as he can?
Bang on the money with the final comment/question and I think his demographics comments were those of a man who has no belief we can beat Leinster when it matters. Friend and Rowntree have both went up against teams with similar demographic advantages in the last week and in both cases their teams played with an intensity that we haven’t had in a while. And in case there is any doubt I’m referring to Connacht’s game against us as their rugby infrastructure in respect of Dan’s post-Leinster comments is incomparable to Ulster in the same way that Ulster’s is incomparable to Leinster’s.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

A provinces success will always be based on what comes through it's age grade pathway, the parameters and structures are set so.

We'll never gain success in the same manner Sorries, La Rochelle etc have.

Only when we invest everything into producing our own talent will we have a shot at top level success. This is not earth shattering new thought, Munsters European success came from a golden generation, Leinsters also.

Iain Henderson is the last Ulster born and age grade pathway product to be deemed good enough to play for Ireland. International debut October 2012. Eleven and a half years..... even if Tom Stewart does make it, that's two international forwards in twelve years :banghead:

After Stewart will it be another twelve years before we produce another homegrown international forward? Where is the next one?

Pathetic!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
ulster32
Novice

Post by ulster32 »

Perhaps ulster could take a leaf out of Munsters book. Jack Crowley largely pulled from obscurity and given a chance rather than persisting with the same dross week after week a la Billy Burns. Munster clearly realised they were not going to progress/win with carberry.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

ulster32 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:33 am Perhaps ulster could take a leaf out of Munsters book. Jack Crowley largely pulled from obscurity and given a chance rather than persisting with the same dross week after week a la Billy Burns. Munster clearly realised they were not going to progress/win with carberry.
I don't think it was obscurity, Ronan O'Gara tried to convince Jack Crowley to come to La Rochelle at the beginning of last season. He was earmarked for greatness.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

This whole mental block thing bugs the life out of me, we have beaten top quality teams over the years both home and away. There is no reason why Ulster shouldn't think when they have close to a starting team that they can't compete with and beat anyone. Why are the coaches not upping their game, and ensuring the players do too?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Interesting article by Sadlier in Sunday Life today. Covers much as we have, and sums up major work required with reduced war chest and likelihood that little will change management wise. Squarely calls out a management team in trouble.
Hopefully these issues will remain in public view- my only complaint is they are not calling out UR as a bastion of incompetence and squander from top to bottom.
Can we really justify a plastic pitch?