We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Marco
Novice

We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Post by Marco »

Like Fitzgerald put it well, Ulster needs a 10, but the coaches don't seem to believe so. Seeing young Prendergast, who has some physical development still to do, effortlessly spiral touch finders 50 metres, just underlines it. Billy is a good lad, bar the theatrics anytime someone touches him, but he will never be a controlling out half. We can't know how good our backline can be without that. Maddening to me, accepting that despite that we're lying second.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Post by Dave »

We need Paddy.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Correct on all counts. B&B has been committed and loyal to Ulster and heroic in getting through games in pain but this can't go on.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Realistically will it change….no, not with the current DOR….we play off 9.

I’m actually amazed Flannery re signed, it’ll be interesting how much time next season he gets. BB has been flogged to death.
Territorial kicking for touch is a dirty thought at UR, even in dreadful conditions, and when pinned in our 22,…..love a crap box kick off 9 instead, with low % retention. With Cooney re signed with Doak etc, there is a continued eggs in the basket feeling about it. Everyone is playing to orders. Coaches to blame.

I doubt the budget was there, but a sturdy big booted saffer 10 would do me.
There must be reviews…..has anyone actually challenged UR re 10?….internally or IRFU. Has there actually been a 10 internal to ireland approach UR re a transfer?
When we get physically squeezed upfront, or dreadful weather, our 9 kick strategy to painfully flawed.
With McCloskey and Stockdale why they aren’t utilised more I don’t know. Worse case we run it against 12 rather than 14 in defensive line.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

It’s been said many times that Beaker isn’t a URC standard first choice 10, but we won’t get an NIQ 10 and there’s no one in our squad who is a better choice. Nor will we get Paddy back (and I strongly doubt if he would ever choose to darken our door again) so for now, we are f?cked.
If the Prendergast rumour turns out to be bullsh!t, which I strongly suspect, then Beaker will continue as our main man.
Our pack will be bolstered next season with two fantastic new additions but without a 10 who can grab a game by the scruff then we will continue to be second best when it really matters.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Whether pro Billy or not, the fact remains we've been relying on one out half for three seasons now at least.

There should be more tried and tested depth in a key position.

If Billy suffers a long term injury our season is potentially over.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

StandUp wrote:It’s been said many times that Beaker isn’t a URC standard first choice 10, but we won’t get an NIQ 10 and there’s no one in our squad who is a better choice. Nor will we get Paddy back (and I strongly doubt if he would ever choose to darken our door again) so for now, we are f?cked.
If the Prendergast rumour turns out to be bullsh!t, which I strongly suspect, then Beaker will continue as our main man.
Our pack will be bolstered next season with two fantastic new additions but without a 10 who can grab a game by the scruff then we will continue to be second best when it really matters.
Is there a rumour about Pendergast leaving Leinster or just what people think he should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The rumour I read was a contract offer from UR. Not a rumour he's leaving or intending to accept. He would be mad to do so with Sexton retiring.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:The rumour I read was a contract offer from UR. Not a rumour he's leaving or intending to accept. He would be mad to do so with Sexton retiring.
Is there a link to this?

allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

After his heroics in the last Leinster game I would bite your arm off for Prendergast. We are never getting a NIQ 10 (doubt any province ever will again unless theyre dressed up as a utility back). Prendergast looks like he has the potential to be outstanding and is def worth a punt. Would prefer him than either Byrne for example.

It would be a bold move with Sexton retiring but then again, he is behind 3 outhalves in byrne, byrne and frawley. He would be second choice at ulster with a potential for moving into first.
Last edited by allezlesverres on Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:The rumour I read was a contract offer from UR. Not a rumour he's leaving or intending to accept. He would be mad to do so with Sexton retiring.
Is there a link to this?

thecrouch wrote:I hear we have offered Sam Prendergast (the Leinster Ireland U20s 10) a senior contract.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Would love it to be true.

Tbh I would take either bryne, frawley or Pendergast.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

allezlesverres wrote:After his heroics in the last Leinster game I would bite your arm off for Prendergast. We are never getting a NIQ 10 (doubt any province ever will again unless theyre dressed up as a utility back). Prendergast looks like he has the potential to be outstanding and is def worth a punt. Would prefer him than either Byrne for example.

It would be a bold move with Sexton retiring but then again, he is behind 3 outhalves in byrne, byrne and frawley. He would be second choice at ulster with a potential for moving into first.
Very talented Leinster players seem happy to sit in the queue. Can't say they I blame them.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

If I saw Liz Hurley I’d ask her out…..doubt she’d say yes mind.

Let’s put ourselves into the shoes of SP/parents/Agent.

You can stay at Leinster: learn off prob ire’s greatest 10, and also the current heir apparent. With the wc coming up likely further game time. You get to work with a superb coaching set up, most of the Ire squad, and highly likely superb S&C/injury recovery. Despite the talent hoarding/lack of games situation-Leinster do blood/game experience their younger players.

Move to UR: gametime? Not definitely guaranteed. Quality of coaching? Physical conditioning?
Work with quality players? History of developing players?

If you were genuinely solely concerned re making him a better player there is nowhere else he should go and certainly not UR. A 23/24 yr old with no gametime certainly worth a gamble not a 20yr old in a centre of excellence.
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

I'd suspect we absolutely do know it, but there's just no chance of D4 sanctioning an NIQ 10.
And for all BB's shortcomings, can you imagine where we'd be if we didn't have him?