Ulster v Dragons Fri April 14 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Dragons Fri April 14 7:35pm

Post by big mervyn »

Stockdale hit a 50/22 from inside his own 22 (a 22/22 if you will) early in the season.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I know Stockdale has a big boot and has creamed the odd one but it's just weird they revert to him as first receiver for clearance kicks right after Leinster did it against us?
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Deraless wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:19 pm I know Stockdale has a big boot and has creamed the odd one but it's just weird they revert to him as first receiver for clearance kicks right after Leinster did it against us?
Don’t think it’s so much to do with what Leinster did against us as Lowry and Burns not getting sufficient length on their clearances in that fixture.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

To be fair Moore looks like he can get length at FB
Exterminate all rational thought
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Stockdale has a big boot but his clearance kicks off scrum half to touch weren't great.

He seemed to be rushed, and trying to hit them too hard. Didn't make anymore yardage than little legs Burns or Lowry would have gotten.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ulster have very poor kicking options. Hence why we over utilise the box kick.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Lowrys needs to perfect the spiral kick. Can get much more distance although it is much harder to execute well. Also needs to learn the GAA style catch as he just gets drowned out on every contestable high ball. Loses practically every one. Even a Keenan style slap back would be much more effective than what he’s currently doing (dropping or losing out to opposition … almost every time). Keenan has this now down to a fine art and he’s not the tallest. It can’t go on us having such an unreliable fullback. Doesn’t matter how many metres he’s made going forward this season.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

👍
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:04 pm Lowrys needs to perfect the spiral kick. Can get much more distance although it is much harder to execute well. Also needs to learn the GAA style catch as he just gets drowned out on every contestable high ball. Loses practically every one. Even a Keenan style slap back would be much more effective than what he’s currently doing (dropping or losing out to opposition … almost every time). Keenan has this now down to a fine art and he’s not the tallest. It can’t go on us having such an unreliable fullback. Doesn’t matter how many metres he’s made going forward this season.
I'm open to correction but I don't think his metres made would be above average for a fullback this season. There was a period he would of had a line break most matches, those days are long gone. Not sighting this as solely a Lowry issue, our backline has not been great to watch this season.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

HammerTime wrote:Lowrys needs to perfect the spiral kick. Can get much more distance although it is much harder to execute well. Also needs to learn the GAA style catch as he just gets drowned out on every contestable high ball. Loses practically every one. Even a Keenan style slap back would be much more effective than what he’s currently doing (dropping or losing out to opposition … almost every time). Keenan has this now down to a fine art and he’s not the tallest. It can’t go on us having such an unreliable fullback. Doesn’t matter how many metres he’s made going forward this season.
It's very frustrating as these guys literally get paid to practice these things on a daily basis. It's their effing job!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:04 pm Lowrys needs to perfect the spiral kick. Can get much more distance although it is much harder to execute well. Also needs to learn the GAA style catch as he just gets drowned out on every contestable high ball. Loses practically every one. Even a Keenan style slap back would be much more effective than what he’s currently doing (dropping or losing out to opposition … almost every time). Keenan has this now down to a fine art and he’s not the tallest. It can’t go on us having such an unreliable fullback. Doesn’t matter how many metres he’s made going forward this season.

I really doubt the spiral kick is the answer. Even with the most capable kickers (spoiler alert Ulster don't have any in this category), it's a high risk kick. That's why you see it so rarely. Even the best kicker in the world will slice some of them and you can't risk that from a clearing kick in your 22. Your man prendergast (who looks excellent btw) had one successful spiral and one horrible sliced one in Leinsters game at the weekend. The latter caused more harm than the benefit accrued from the former. Had he opted for a normal kick on both occasions Leinster would have been in a better position overall.

Ulster's problem is just a lack of decent kicking coaching.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:36 pm
I'm open to correction but I don't think his metres made would be above average for a fullback this season. There was a period he would of had a line break most matches, those days are long gone. Not sighting this as solely a Lowry issue, our backline has not been great to watch this season.
Let me correct you.

Fullbacks with most appearances for top 8 URC clubs so far this season:

Magic Mike 820m from 12 URC games avg 69m
Mike Haley (Munster) 423 from 8 avg 53m
Kriel (Bulls) 711 from 15 avg 47m
Blommetjies (Stormers) 707 from 15 avg 47m
Tiernan O'Halloran 474 from 11 avg 43m
Fassi (Sharks) 360 from 9 avg 40m
Rob Russell (Leinster) 453 from 12 avg 38m
Josh McKay (Glasgow) 254 from 9 avg 28m
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Magic Merv! Where do you get this stuff?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:23 am Magic Merv! Where do you get this stuff?
It's available from the URC.but needed a bit of collating.

Usual caution about accuracy. I am NOT Cables.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:59 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:36 pm
Let me correct you.

Fullbacks with most appearances for top 8 URC clubs so far this season:

Magic Mike 820m from 12 URC games avg 69m
Mike Haley (Munster) 423 from 8 avg 53m
Kriel (Bulls) 711 from 15 avg 47m
Blommetjies (Stormers) 707 from 15 avg 47m
Tiernan O'Halloran 474 from 11 avg 43m
Fassi (Sharks) 360 from 9 avg 40m
Rob Russell (Leinster) 453 from 12 avg 38m
Josh McKay (Glasgow) 254 from 9 avg 28m
Hmm did you pick the lowest metre-making players to compare with? Tell the truth…