Ulster v Dragons Fri April 14 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Dragons Fri April 14 7:35pm

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:02 am
solidarity wrote:
justinr73 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:43 pm
big mervyn wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:11 pm What did Moore do to get the Dragons 13 all riled up at the final whistle?
Dunno - he properly lost it!

Agree with Jean about Stockers but not about the Dragons.

They’re dung and we were in second gear.

Nice gas by their nine for his try through.
D13 seemed to be saying that Moore had hit him in the eye but must have been completely accidental
He seemed to have a nice shiner alright. Wonder did it happen prior to the end of the game, if not it happened very quickly.
Moore has a mark on his forehead- clash of heads?
Exterminate all rational thought
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
Big-al wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 pm
Deraless wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:49 pm JTA would stay but blocked by Dublin. Already a NIQ in his position at another province?

MOTM for me was McCann but it always gets given to whoever scores the most points.
Thought McCann had a better game in general to Stewart.

Does Tom Stewart do enough in the tight and breakdown? He never seems to make telling contributions, or maybe we're spoilt to have watched Rory Best play there for 15 years?
Good question but Rory didn’t appear on the wing for a hat trick that often!
Stewart carries well all over the pitch. He also spoils us with consistent darts. Something Rory didn't always do.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So It Is wrote:
HammerTime wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:55 pm Marcus Rea AWOL for both those trys.
He looked shot for the 3rd try. He has never been particularly quick but looked knee deep in treacle for that one.
The third wasn't a missed tackle. Gilroy out of the line left a gap and their 9 blew everyone for pace. The 2nd try had shades of McCann against Leinster or shades of Marcus Rea himself plus McIlroy versus Connacht. Systemic issue at play? I'm not sure. Needs to be sorted as Rea's freaky hips allow the opportunity to jackal that few others in Ulster squad provide.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

It wasn't a missed tackle as such but you'd expect a 7 on the angle to at least dive and attempt a tackle, or at least make the attacker take a wide arc to avoid him. But he looked shagged.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Rea's body language in the 2nd half gave the impression he was running on empty. As said above the missed tackle on the hooker for his try was really poor and reminiscent of the connacht one which led to a period of exile. Physical fatigue leads to mentally switching off but at least fitness can be worked on. He still has a turnover threat that many don't have so needs to be kept involved although a role off the bench might suit better in the upcoming games.

So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Yeah he's clearly a good player but has a few, and I detest hearing/using the term, "work-ons", like speed and fitness. I'm sure with a bit of focus he can improve on it.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My MOTM was Stockdale he was involved in most of the Individual trys rather than push over ones which are the product of a combined heave and some worming ending in a collapse over the try line .

The one thing i noticed was he appeared to be playing as a third centre rather than a wing a role he fulfilled rather well -- I wonder is this a D4 --trial idea. since in my book Hume has gone off the boil a bit this tear and thus ireland are at present a 4 centre outfit --Henshaw Ringrose Aki and McCloskey --- O Brien is a back three and Osborne is a greenhorn.

Of the 4 two are in my book injury prone Henshaw and Ringrose. and McCloskey /Aki combination wasn't one I would have confidence in to be honest .

Anyway back to Friday --a very mixed performance due to a hoc-poch selection -- too many changes from the week before -- and too too many tackles missed to be pleasing .

Munster having done us a favour -- Ulster must avoid the Banana skin
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Three assists for Jacob.

How many of those would Ringrose have passed?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

My only issue with Stockdale is his kicking. Or rather the tactic of using him to kick.

He stands so deep to launch a kick that the ball is passed 10-15m backwards and he might make 35 yards from his goal line.

Why not just get Cooney to boot it out from the base of the ruck 15-20m from our goal line? It would probably lead to a better result and there is less risk of a charge down or Jacob making a mistake.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

So It Is wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:42 am It wasn't a missed tackle as such but you'd expect a 7 on the angle to at least dive and attempt a tackle, or at least make the attacker take a wide arc to avoid him. But he looked shagged.
I was thinking has he bulked up a bit this season? Could be why his cardio fitness is low and also why he hasn't been appearing?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So It Is wrote:My only issue with Stockdale is his kicking. Or rather the tactic of using him to kick.

He stands so deep to launch a kick that the ball is passed 10-15m backwards and he might make 35 yards from his goal line.

Why not just get Cooney to boot it out from the base of the ruck 15-20m from our goal line? It would probably lead to a better result and there is less risk of a charge down or Jacob making a mistake.
He has a good boot but is better employed kicking long infield than for touch. Cooney's Box kicking is usually on the money and with Jacob chasing we have a good chance of recovering it or at least making it scrappy ball.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

At the moment Stockdale tends to slice or hook his kicks now he has his mojo back he should spend some time practicing his kicking from 15 metres in from touch.

At the moment Lowe has that function down to a tee for Leinster aiming for about the half way line when 5 metres from the try line Stockdale is not getting to the 10 metre line and possibly closer to the 22 metre.

With the injured ankle I think it may be a part of his game he has neglected .
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Silverstu wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:39 pm
So It Is wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:42 am It wasn't a missed tackle as such but you'd expect a 7 on the angle to at least dive and attempt a tackle, or at least make the attacker take a wide arc to avoid him. But he looked shagged.
I was thinking has he bulked up a bit this season? Could be why his cardio fitness is low and also why he hasn't been appearing?
Obviously has the jackal threat but offers little else. Has a bad habit of not wanting to know when teams are throwing the kitchen sink at us on our own line. It cost home a couple of months to Ballynahinch before and with the crunch part of the season upon us I’m not sure I’d have him starting any big game from here on in. A substitute player for me at best. Some sort of combination of Timoney, Sheridan, DV and McCann for the rest of the season and Ewers (minus DV) next season.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

The Stockdale long kick thing seems to have happened all of a sudden after Lowe did it at the Aviva recently against us and it was very effective. It's just we didn't do it as well lol
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Dereless Stockdale has always had a long kick -- which is why Ulster tried playing him at full back at _ I at the request of D4--I assume -- when Kearney was past his sell by date.

The experiment was a failure because -- he lacked positional experience --on the pitch -- and got caught in ,a two minds, no mans land and the experiment did exactly nothing for his confidence in attack or defence .

While the switch from wing to full back seemed possible the fact is that they pose totally different challenges --why because wings should be positioned by the full back --in response to the both the conditions and opposition .

Payne when playing full back was always mindful about position the wings around him . ( pulling them back-- pushing them wider or calling them closer etc ) Full back is the Key position in the modern game which has evolved since the kick,direct to touch, ceased to be of benefit