Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by jean valjean »

ljsulster wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:20 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:11 pm Aaron Sexton reminds me a bit of Maxwell a number of years back.

Give him space to run into and he'll do that very quickly and very well.

Put a defender in that space though, and he'll out-think himself and end up running straight into the defender or into touch.

Thinking doesn't seem to be a strong point.
Is he on the wrong wing? Right handed and constantly carrying with the right, leaving him open to being stripped instead of transferring to the outside arm.
Not instinctive; overthinks as Capn says-I guess because he came to rugby late from athletics?
Better today, but doesn't convince. Would prefer more upper body strength too.
He didn’t come late to rugby, he played all through school.
No excuse for basic flaws like wrong hand carrying
It's pretty clear his pace got him out of a lot of holes at school where others needed to learn the basics of fending, stepping and looking for support. I do enjoy watching him, in the hope that one day he will score a length of the field solo try.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by allezlesverres »

Silverstu wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:17 pm
thecrouch wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:50 pm
Dave wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:48 pm Sexton has to chip n chase there
He needed to go diagonally across the field and put the afterburners on.

He looked like he hadn't a clue what to do.
He needs gametime at this level- I doubt AIL sides can deal with his pace. Moxham was persisted with, might work well for Sexton too.

Great work from the pack- Sheridan looking very good and McCann as well when he came on. Very encouraging all in and a great result.
Look I don't want to be mean but seriously, how many times did he get clean perfect ball with one defender to beat? I think 3 times. His footwork was poor. For the first squandered chance he was galloping at 90mph with one to beat on the left wing and all he needed to do was veer right and beat his defender in a footrace to the right corner flag which he could have done easily. He woukd have skinned his defender in no time. . Instead he took the contact (badly for how bid and strong he is) and got turned over (again). Don't even start me on his defence and high ball.

Don't think he is going to make it unfortunately. Also, sub point, tackling is apparently optional now for the team.

But a good win overall, surprised but in a good way. Rory, JTA and DV did a lot of heavy lifting. Sheridan was outstanding. Reminded me of a young player who was great at 6 but Joe wanted at 4. Why can't our other forwards do what Sheridan was doing?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

To be fair Mcann was physical in his cameo- these guys need played.
Exterminate all rational thought
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Moore is such a smart player. Stewart, Sheridan and McCann young bulls. How is Jones near the squad with these two capable of playing 6?

I thought Flannery inventive and definitely worth persevering with.

Mcilroy caught stone cold shooting up for Sharks last try. Shocker
Jones is in because of his lineout. That’s were Mccann struggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

No excuse.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

allezlesverres wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 am Look I don't want to be mean but seriously, how many times did he get clean perfect ball with one defender to beat? I think 3 times. His footwork was poor. For the first squandered chance he was galloping at 90mph with one to beat on the left wing and all he needed to do was veer right and beat his defender in a footrace to the right corner flag which he could have done easily. He woukd have skinned his defender in no time. . Instead he took the contact (badly for how bid and strong he is) and got turned over (again). Don't even start me on his defence and high ball.
Think it's a bit early to write him off, I thought yesterday was the most encouraging showing from him. In terms of him being turned over though, one thing I wonder is if he's too fast for his own support players. If he thinks he's going to take contact, should he slow down a bit to give his support a chance.

Would also like to see him give the chip and chase a go too. Suspect, as has been mentioned, that his pace is such an asset he hasn't needed to really work on anything else. Would like to see him given a few more chances over time to see if and how he develops.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Should also say that a big plus for me yesterday was Sheridan. In his first thought of starts I'd thought he'd looked OK, but that was the first time he stood out to me. Early days, but very encouraging.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

+1 on both Sexton and Sheridan.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Moore is such a smart player. Stewart, Sheridan and McCann young bulls. How is Jones near the squad with these two capable of playing 6?

It's a poor trade off King. These days lifters can basically hoist anyone. Or McCann lifts. All back 5 should lift now they get extra height in the lift over the traditional props. Pretty interchangeable.
Look at AOC, not a big lock but pretty much guaranteed at the front. That's where I'd lift McCann- fast and flat with his bulk. It's trainable- timing and technique.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:45 am Should also say that a big plus for me yesterday was Sheridan. In his first thought of starts I'd thought he'd looked OK, but that was the first time he stood out to me. Early days, but very encouraging.
I loved his aggression for a 21 year old :thumleft: >bud he was up for it
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:42 am
allezlesverres wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 am Look I don't want to be mean but seriously, how many times did he get clean perfect ball with one defender to beat? I think 3 times. His footwork was poor. For the first squandered chance he was galloping at 90mph with one to beat on the left wing and all he needed to do was veer right and beat his defender in a footrace to the right corner flag which he could have done easily. He woukd have skinned his defender in no time. . Instead he took the contact (badly for how bid and strong he is) and got turned over (again). Don't even start me on his defence and high ball.
Think it's a bit early to write him off, I thought yesterday was the most encouraging showing from him. In terms of him being turned over though, one thing I wonder is if he's too fast for his own support players. If he thinks he's going to take contact, should he slow down a bit to give his support a chance.

Would also like to see him give the chip and chase a go too. Suspect, as has been mentioned, that his pace is such an asset he hasn't needed to really work on anything else. Would like to see him given a few more chances over time to see if and how he develops.
In fairness none of us want this guy to fail- quite the opposite given his rare raw pace, but he currently has too many flaws in his game to be nothing more than squad filler. I hope it can be trained into him, but instinctive feel for your position is a difficult one- its almost muscle memory and not reverting to type under pressure.
Whoever the f#ck hasn't spotted his carrying in the wrong hand flaw needs a boot in the hole.

Anyway, I'll leave the intricacies of back play to those who know something about it. Keep it in the pack- scrum half's only there to put into the scrum, and 10 for restarting the game and kicking to touch.... :stir: :thumleft:
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

:D There speaks a member of the front row union.😂
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Would like to see more of Stewart Moore on the pitch. With Lowry not having the same attacking impact he once had I'd be for giving him a run of games at full back.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am

Mcnabney looks very good for the u20s and is own do their main jumpers. If ulster can get mcnabney and McCann into the same backrow they’d work well together.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Setanta wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:56 am :D There speaks a member of the front row union.😂
:salut: