Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 17th Feb @ 7.45pm Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Glasgow Vs Ulster Fri 17th Feb @ 7.45pm Viaplay Sports 1

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:Ulster have a long history of not learning.
Fixed
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

As a game its best forgotten -- when Glasgow scored first against the elements and Ulster going in at half time 8-5 up --- 3 points were never going to be sufficient playing into wind and rain.

Basically it was a game which the elements beat both teams into playing effort and the team who got the most penalties into the corner was going to win. ( provided they could win the line out.)
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:53 pm Has Stewart been turned over more times from breaking off the maul this season than tries scored?
???????
Not his fault

SUFTS
SUFTUM
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Big-al wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:30 pm
StandUp wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:18 pm Why did Burns just pass to an isolated player? F@cking imbecile.
I'm sick of the sight of him. Done nothing tonight. I reckon Stewart Moore would be a better 10 under the Ulster system.

Ulster need to win the next two matches.
There was plenty of cheap shots from Ferris to a number of players over the course of his commentating last night but one thing I did agree with him, and couldn’t believe, was the clip where we had the try disallowed and Burns was just ambling a few metres away from the breakdown. For someone who Dan credits with the highest rugby intelligence in the squad it doesn’t say much that he wasn’t presenting any option, or even giving the Glasgow defence anything to think about as a potential alternative to the pick and go. The less said about Jones’ play pointed out by Ferris in the same segment the better.

Ulster are going nowhere with a 10 who has no significant strengths to either his kicking or running game.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

One of the worst passers I've seen (for a 10). He's young though, give him time.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

He has been here 5 seasons now (I think).

How much time does he need?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Who was calling the Line-out. First one deep in their 22 on a wet night and go to the back. Same for John Andrew's first throw.

If ulster's game is going to be built around Line-out \ maul then the 2nd row starting combination of AOC and Tredwell doesn't work. If Hendy is not available then Carter should start. I was very critical of him last season but his set piece work was missed last night and he has been ulster's best lock outside of Hendy this season.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Big-al wrote:He has been here 5 seasons now (I think).

Another 5 or 6.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:52 am
Big-al wrote:He has been here 5 seasons now (I think).

Another 5 or 6.
7 Irish caps :shock:

Would have a few more if he had found touch with that kick
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

richardt84 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:05 am
Big-al wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:30 pm
StandUp wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:18 pm Why did Burns just pass to an isolated player? F@cking imbecile.
I'm sick of the sight of him. Done nothing tonight. I reckon Stewart Moore would be a better 10 under the Ulster system.

Ulster need to win the next two matches.
There was plenty of cheap shots from Ferris to a number of players over the course of his commentating last night but one thing I did agree with him, and couldn’t believe, was the clip where we had the try disallowed and Burns was just ambling a few metres away from the breakdown. For someone who Dan credits with the highest rugby intelligence in the squad it doesn’t say much that he wasn’t presenting any option, or even giving the Glasgow defence anything to think about as a potential alternative to the pick and go. The less said about Jones’ play pointed out by Ferris in the same segment the better.

Ulster are going nowhere with a 10 who has no significant strengths to either his kicking or running game.
I suspect Burns knew he wasn’t going to get it.

Stewart gave away the game plan, such as it was, in his unusually timed interview before the game.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Ironically BB actually nailed the touch kicks last night, right on the money in kak weather, the maul was not up to it. Its a theme, other teams counter our maul, too predictable and then, no offence, but to see Jones trotting out, well game over. Must be said though that you'd probably take a losing BP at Glasgow at the start of a season, last night is not the problem, it's been six weeks of dire rugby in December and January. Not likely but not impossible that we can play to our strengths in any playoffs, if not I see some exodus of players and coaches - once Hume etc work out that they're not going to make Ireland squad, the South of France will be very appealing
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I think Dan's run out of ideas. No attacking threat other than the maul. The coaching team is well short. End of season Exodus?
Exterminate all rational thought
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The loss of Payne has been huge and is really coming to light. His rugby intelligence was second to none and I can see him going on to have a coaching career similar to Rog.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:32 pm I think Dan's run out of ideas. No attacking threat other than the maul. The coaching team is well short. End of season Exodus?
And beaten by three maul tries. I don't know what it is but theres a truth or lesson to be had.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:44 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:32 pm I think Dan's run out of ideas. No attacking threat other than the maul. The coaching team is well short. End of season Exodus?
And beaten by three maul tries. I don't know what it is but theres a truth or lesson to be had.
4-5 years is the normal lifespan of a coach. Fresh impetus is usually required at that stage.

Dan's just started a new contract of course...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall