Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Post by StandUp »

Deraless wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:19 pm
Silverstu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:13 pm If Cooney gets selected for Scotland he might be our 3rd NIQ spot, but id love big Jeff to stay - seems like a top guy and he's been playing really well.
FIRFU will say Cooney is holding back Irish talent.
:lol:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Silverstu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:13 pm If Cooney gets selected for Scotland he might be our 3rd NIQ spot, but id love big Jeff to stay - seems like a top guy and he's been playing really well.
Not happening.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Columbo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 pm .... - in fact I have rarely seen such overwhelming defensive dominance in a URC match, we could easily have nilled them..
If we could easily have nilled them, we should have done so.

So either it wasn't easy to nil them or we were unprofessional by letting them score when the easy thing would have been to stop them scoring.

They also passed u a couple of shots at goal - now maybe they wouldn't have landed those, so nilling them might still have been possible, but I'm inclined to think that as often happens, we lose structure when we empty the bench, and opposition scores are almost the norm.

We need to have a decent enough lead when we empty the bench cos we're a long way yet from being a team that can bring on 8 subs and not see any drop in standards while doing so.

I should add that I'm delighted with the win and the performance (mostly) - just what we needed after recent events, but it was also a missed opportunity to put 50-60 points on the team in 2nd place in the league, but to do so would have required extra minutes for m those we most wanted to rest and fewer minutes from those who need game time.

I think wot I am saying is, we couldn't easily have nilled them without impacting on our playing squad - I think. :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:38 am
Columbo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 pm .... - in fact I have rarely seen such overwhelming defensive dominance in a URC match, we could easily have nilled them..

So either it wasn't easy to nil them or we were unprofessional by letting them score when the easy thing would have been to stop them scoring.

They also passed u a couple of shots at goal - now maybe they wouldn't have landed those, so nilling them might still have been possible, but I'm inclined to think that as often happens, we lose structure when we empty the bench, and opposition scores are almost the norm.

We need to have a decent enough lead when we empty the bench cos we're a long way yet from being a team that can bring on 8 subs and not see any drop in standards while doing so.

I should add that I'm delighted with the win and the performance (mostly) - just what we needed after recent events, but it was also a missed opportunity to put 50-60 points on the team in 2nd place in the league, but to do so would have required extra minutes for m those we most wanted to rest and fewer minutes from those who need game time.

I think wot I am saying is, we couldn't easily have nilled them without impacting on our playing squad - I think. :scratch:
Leinster v Cardiff. Same scenario. However the swing towards Cardiff was much more extreme and was not that far off changing the result.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:37 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:38 am

Leinster v Cardiff. Same scenario. However the swing towards Cardiff was much more extreme and was not that far off changing the result.
Nearly always happens. I can recall several occasions when Ulster have put a bit of gloss on a hoking with a couple of late trys.

After an hour on Fri we were actually discussing when they were going to get the "consolation" try.

Had a look at the table and our PD is surprisingly good if it should come to that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I see we are now joint third favourites (with Sharks) to win the Grand Final @ 10/1

Leinster 2/1 on.

Bizarrely, Munster are 2nd favourites @ 8/1 :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 am I see we are now joint third favourites (with Sharks) to win the Grand Final @ 10/1

Leinster 2/1 on.

Probably Munsters fans splashing their yoyos
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:57 pm Ala’alatoa ha played more games for Furlong this season.
The only lock that has played more than Jenkins this year is Moloney. Jenkins is first choice when fit.
Nagatai has played more than any other centre this season.
Fekitoa has played more than any other centre for Munster this season.
Stats from URC website.
And Sam Carter's played more games for us than Iain Henderson lately. Doesn't make him first choice.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 am I see we are now joint third favourites (with Sharks) to win the Grand Final @ 10/1

Leinster 2/1 on.

Imo Sharks are the real threat this season when fully loaded. Even to Leinster.
Exterminate all rational thought
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

paddybrown wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:47 pm
StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:57 pm Ala’alatoa ha played more games for Furlong this season.
The only lock that has played more than Jenkins this year is Moloney. Jenkins is first choice when fit.
Nagatai has played more than any other centre this season.
Fekitoa has played more than any other centre for Munster this season.
Stats from URC website.
And Sam Carter's played more games for us than Iain Henderson lately. Doesn't make him first choice.
Maybe that’s why Carter will be gone at the end of the year. Like I said, poor recruitment.🙄
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Not a popular opinion on here but IMHO Carter has been pretty decent THIS SEASON.
He was muck last season and before that okish with a couple of big injuries thrown in. I remember both he and Hendy getting injured as 1st choice locks vs Toulouse a couple if seasons ago.

Personally I dont groan when I see his name on the team sheet these days, unlike last season.
Last edited by Bart S on Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

For whatever reason Jenkins wasn't a huge success at Munster in the way he has been at Leinster. Similarly I'd say Fekitoa has been given gametime but the fact Munster are playing an outfalf (Crowle)y at 12 alongside Frisch shows he hasn't been setting the world on fire so far (and all of this in the absence of Farrell).

I don't think ulster has a monopoly on poor recruitment . It's also not just player quality but motivation and how well they settle in. Matfield at Toulon or Joe Roff at Biarritz are good examples of this.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:28 pm Not a popular opinion on here but IMHO Carter has been pretty decent THIS SEASON.
He was muck last season and before that okish with a couple of big injuries thrown in. I remember both he and Hendy getting injured as 1st choice locks vs Toulouse a couple if seasons ago.

Personally I dont groan when I see his name on the team sheet these days, unlike last season.
I agree Bart. Doesn't get capped into double figures for Oz by being a Muppet. He's a line out banker and good TH lock.
Remember Johan only had about a dozen caps for SA.
But JM was a special leader and hard bastid before I get crucified lol
Exterminate all rational thought
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:40 pm
Bart S wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:28 pm Not a popular opinion on here but IMHO Carter has been pretty decent THIS SEASON.

I agree Bart. Doesn't get capped into double figures for Oz by being a Muppet. He's a line out banker and good TH lock.
Remember Johan only had about a dozen caps for SA.
But JM was a special leader and hard bastid before I get crucified lol
Carter has been better this season. He knows he needs to find a new contract!
He is useful in the set pieces but the modern game requires more from a lock than just set piece ability which I don’t think he has the aptitude for.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big-al wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:53 am

Leinster 2/1 on.

Probably Munsters fans splashing their yoyos
Must be. They must think it's still 2008
Big Neville Southall