Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Dave »

With Moore looking badly injured, we will now be avoiding scrums for the rest of the season (potentially).
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:17 am With Moore looking badly injured, we will now be avoiding scrums for the rest of the season (potentially).
Opposition will be knocking balls on for fun
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Spot on regarding Kane. Both he and McCall regressed significantly at ulster. With McCall I think it was injury driven. Ulster can't afford for guys like him and EOS to fall by the wayside. Not sure if they aren't good enough or it is the system.

While there is a lot of understandable ire towards Carter given his NIQ status and how muck he was particularly last season he has been at least as good/less bad as AOC and Tredwell this season. He's the best Line-out operator we have and Tredwell showed again that he is incapable of consistently decent performances as a starter. He's great sometimes off the bench but in an ulster Jersey has rarely delivered as a starter. That's why someone as limited as AOC still starts ahead of him.

The only times he has done well starting were wearing the green shirt of Ireland vs Maori AB's.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Would agree though that the likes if McCann and Marcus Rea should be getting more gametime ahead of the likes of Jones and Matty Rea Thought both Marcus and McCann were quiet enough against Connacht when they started but maybe need some more games.

As for Jordi , Ulster either need to give him a run of games or pretty much cut him lose. He was ulster's best forward in quite a few games the season before last but that injury and subsequent lack of games has rendered his contributions since then meaningless. If he can get his form back then he'll be a real asset but he definitely won't get it back with a run from the bench for 10 mins every couple of months if they don't think he is up to it give that bench spot to one of the younger guys
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bart S wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:10 pm Spot on regarding Kane. Both he and McCall regressed significantly at ulster. With McCall I think it was injury driven. Ulster can't afford for guys like him and EOS to fall by the wayside. Not sure if they aren't good enough or it is the system.
Which brings us full circle to those advising Milo is not fit for purpose. If you get rid of him tomorrow we've produced nothing ourselves better to fill the void.

Last home grown Ulster born international prop produced - Bryan Young Ireland debut June 2006. Grassroots has not produced an international standard prop in over 16 years. Cannot think of one that even had a case for Ireland selection.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Bart S wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:45 pm

As for Jordi , Ulster either need to give him a run of games or pretty much cut him lose. He was ulster's best forward in quite a few games the season before last but that injury and subsequent lack of games has rendered his contributions since then meaningless. If he can get his form back then he'll be a real asset but he definitely won't get it back with a run from the bench for 10 mins every couple of months if they don't think he is up to it give that bench spot to one of the younger guys
I think someone on here said jordi was retiring so I wouldn't pin too much hope on him. In terms of THPs, I don't know what the answer is or even if there is an answer. Without MM we are goosed and we have been saying that for over a year. We are about to find out just how much trouble we are in. Perhaps it will be the kick up the backside TOT needs to actually learn scrummaging. He has a lot to motivate him because if he can sort out his scrummaging, he will get a RWC ticket no bother.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:00 pm
Bart S wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:10 pm Spot on regarding Kane. Both he and McCall regressed significantly at ulster. With McCall I think it was injury driven. Ulster can't afford for guys like him and EOS to fall by the wayside. Not sure if they aren't good enough or it is the system.
Which brings us full circle to those advising Milo is not fit for purpose. If you get rid of him tomorrow we've produced nothing ourselves better to fill the void.

Last home grown Ulster born international prop produced - Bryan Young Ireland debut June 2006. Grassroots has not produced an international standard prop in over 16 years. Cannot think of one that even had a case for Ireland selection.
Milo is 4th choice and IQ. He's not much good but I think that after getting smashed in the first scrum he managed to hold on. I'm more focused on TOT and JTA as they will be needed in big games.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

And until we start producing better our depth there won't improve
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Most guys who come thru and are great for a season or two (if they get that far) just seem to regress after that. Tis the Ulster Way.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

What about our All Black International prop does he not exist? is he still here? are there any reports of him being injured? is he not able to play? just curious.... can't find anything about him except he came here
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cockatrice wrote:

What about our All Black International prop does he not exist? is he still here? are there any reports of him being injured? is he not able to play? just curious.... can't find anything about him except he came here
The man himself said he would be back in January at some point. He suffered an ankle injury and appears to be rehabbing at present.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:04 pm
Cockatrice wrote:

The man himself said he would be back in January at some point. He suffered an ankle injury and appears to be rehabbing at present.
Dave thanks for that he must be self diagnosing as according to URs medical update today he doesn't feature...

https://ulster.rugby/content/squad-upda ... nuary-2023

btw will keep you a nice little spot behind me on RPG/RP with easy access to the stand.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cockatrice wrote:
Dave wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:04 pm
Cockatrice wrote:

Dave thanks for that he must be self diagnosing as according to URs medical update today he doesn't feature...

https://ulster.rugby/content/squad-upda ... nuary-2023

btw will keep you a nice little spot behind me on RPG/RP with easy access to the stand.
Well, either consciously or unconsciously they don't deem him worthy of reporting on.

Thanks for the suggestion Image
HighlandRed
Novice

Post by HighlandRed »

When was the last time we had a dedicated scrum coach? Are they a thing of the past?

Did we not have reggie corrigan on the go at one stage?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

HighlandRed wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:57 pm When was the last time we had a dedicated scrum coach? Are they a thing of the past?

Did we not have reggie corrigan on the go at one stage?
Our head coach is the scrum coach. He is a former front rower and international forwards coach.

Well qualified for the role.