Referees and TMO consistency

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Referees and TMO consistency

Post by rumncoke »

I wish to compare two plays in different games.

Ulster v La roc and london Irish v stormers

In the Ulster game Lowry was pushed by a member of La roc which enabled another La roc player to score

In the London Irish game a london Irish try was disallowed due to push by a london Irish player to catch a ball . The push was missed by the referee and between ten and twelve phases later the disallowed try was scored but the push was identified by the TMO

Where is the consistency ?
In the first the push lead enabled the try to be scored
And was not penalised

In the second the push played no part in the try scoring other than provide possession but the push was the excuse to disallow a try

Which push was the more influence in the try score?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
waggonsroll
Initiate

Re: Referees and TMO consistency

Post by waggonsroll »

rumncoke wrote:I wish to compare two plays in different games.

In the Ulster game Lowry was pushed by a member of La roc which enabled another La roc player to score

In the London Irish game a london Irish try was disallowed due to push by a london Irish player to catch a ball . The push was missed by the referee and between ten and twelve phases later the disallowed try was scored but the push was identified by the TMO

And was not penalised

In the second the push played no part in the try scoring other than provide possession but the push was the excuse to disallow a try

Surely this is inconsistencies. Sorry didn't see it was Rum

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Frank last night

between 75 and 78 minutes 58 seconds dis allowed a try and then awarded a penalty Connaught for off-side ( question between the scrum and knock-on had he called a an offside penalty ( he was out of camera shot )

But after that following try at least two ulster players watched Pendergast knock-on ( not awarded ) the Connaught wing comes in from the side and takes Henderson out of a ruck before he stopped play for the injury to Marshall .

Thanks Frank
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

As good a place as any to say that I thought Murphy was rubbish last night.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:18 pm I wish to compare two plays in different games.

And was not penalised

Are ye sure it was 10-12 phases later? I've seen commentators who seem to think a pass or an offload constitutes a phase. :shock:

Didn't see this, but according to the rules/laws on disallowing tries via TMO, the ref ain't supposed to go back more than 2 phases for any infringement to disallow a try. If it's gone three phases or beyond, that is not deemed to be part of the play leading up to the try, or at least if the defending team can't stop them in so many phases, tuff luck, don't go crying to the ref to do your job for you.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Young master Busby was on the end of a Rassie style from Quinlan on the red 78 podcast. Appreciate it is a munster podcast but I thought it was poor form and will not help Busby when he next takes on a munster game as he likely will given his neutrality.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:00 pm
rumncoke wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:18 pm I wish to compare two plays in different games.

And was not penalised

Are ye sure it was 10-12 phases later? I've seen commentators who seem to think a pass or an offload constitutes a phase. :shock:

Didn't see this, but according to the rules/laws on disallowing tries via TMO, the ref ain't supposed to go back more than 2 phases for any infringement to disallow a try. If it's gone three phases or beyond, that is not deemed to be part of the play leading up to the try, or at least if the defending team can't stop them in so many phases, tuff luck, don't go crying to the ref to do your job for you.
TMOs can call back for foul play. It is things like knockons that can't go back beyond two phases to a try.

Agree about commentary not knowing what a phase is. But then the Muppets on RTE last week were going on about "why didn't they just drop kick the conversion to stop the TMO reviewing the try?"

For people who make their living talking about rugby, they don't exactly exude knowledge of the game.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 pm For people who make their living talking about rugby, they don't exactly exude knowledge of the game.
Not as bad as footy types though.

You can have players go through their entire career, then into coaching/management and can have years of experience at that, and then be interviewed on TV and show an appalling knowledge of the Laws of the Game. What spares their blushes is that most viewers don't know any better.

Most of them learned to play when in primary school and the "rules" they learnt were what were passed on by the older kids and their da's shouting at the TV during Match of the Day etc.

Very few have ever read the Laws of the Game, as is evidenced when some go into refereeing and are shocked to learn all the myths they took as gospel for many years really aren't true.
BR wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 pm TMOs can call back for foul play. It is things like knockons that can't go back beyond two phases to a try.
There ya go - I didn't know there was no limit on how far back they could go for foul play.

I'm as bad as those I was criticising - the only difference is that at least I don't earn a living from Rugby.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:56 pm
I'm as bad as those I was criticising - the only difference is that at least I don't earn a living from Rugby.
Exactly, and in your defence the TMO protocol changes every 6 months.

Tomorrow's update is to those announced in June.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:49 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:56 pm
Exactly, and in your defence the TMO protocol changes every 6 months.

Tomorrow's update is to those announced in June.
June of which year?

2023? :scratch:

They just recycle them every 15 years or so anyway, don't they?
I'm not arguing -
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Could someone please remind Hollie Davidson about the law around pre-binding to a player before they lift the ball.🙄
Lions players have done this four times in the space of 60 seconds, right in front of the myopic fool.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

StandUp wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:00 pm Could someone please remind Hollie Davidson about the law around pre-binding to a player before they lift the ball.🙄
Lions players have done this four times in the space of 60 seconds, right in front of the myopic fool.
Seems like a law that is more often ignored than observed these days. Don't know when I last saw anyone pinged for it.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Another law unapplied for seemingly ever is the heinous crime of lifting a leg in a maul... until Taffy Brace pinged Tom Stewart last week. In fairness to Taffy, Tom's was so utterly blatant that I think dear Taffy felt "FFFS mate you've put me on the spot with your stupidity" and awarded the first leg-lifting penalty since pussy was a cat, or Jesus was a lad.

Mind you, Taffy was clearly not looking to award a single forward pass when Munster presented him 5 possible chances, yet for some penalty offences against Ulster, he was as eager as a bear in salmon spawning season.

I have a couple of Welsh friends but I suspect I may be unique.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I think Ulster try very hard not to commit fouls whereas the top teams are cute hoors and deliberately and sneakily foul to get out of difficult situations. When Ulster do foul, it is as you say, utterly blatant. They need to be a bit smarter with their cheating and a bit less Mr Nice Guy.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I wasn’t aware the lamb botherers had friends.