Scarlets v Ulster Saturday September 24th 1pm KO - Premier Sports 1 / Super Sport / URC TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Scarlets v Ulster Saturday September 24th 1pm KO - Premier Sports 1 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by kingofthehill »

McCloskey is on a different planet at the minute. Great to see Lukey back and looking threatening. Stockdale is getting back to form, strong with ball in hand. Michael Lowry really is something else. An absolute joy to watch.

Haven’t mentioned Cooney because although he got 30 points (incredible haul) I was a little disappointed. Missed the pressure kick in front of the posts and then kicks out on the full when we are trying to close out a game.

Marcus was excellent, hopefully Sean and him push each other on.

Treadwell continues to push on after the AB tour.

Don’t think Matty would stand out playing AIL. You have to wonder what the coaches see for him to be selected but clearly there is a reason. I have faith in the coaching team selecting the right team but if I was Mccann or Sheridan I would be scratching my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Scarlets v Ulster Saturday September 24th 1pm KO - Premier Sports 1 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by justinr73 »

Bloody hell KOTH - a couple of kicks that were a yard off in one dodgy minute and John is in your bad books!

Needed to leave himself a couple of ‘learnings’ and ‘work-ons’ or he may as well have retired as soon as he came off the park!
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:00 am McCloskey is on a different planet at the minute. Great to see Lukey back and looking threatening. Stockdale is getting back to form, strong with ball in hand. Michael Lowry really is something else. An absolute joy to watch.

Haven’t mentioned Cooney because although he got 30 points (incredible haul) I was a little disappointed. Missed the pressure kick in front of the posts and then kicks out on the full when we are trying to close out a game.

Don’t think Matty would stand out playing AIL. You have to wonder what the coaches see for him to be selected but clearly there is a reason. I have faith in the coaching team selecting the right team but if I was Mccann or Sheridan I would be scratching my head.

Fair point KOTH. If Matty keeps getting selected after performances like that, it doesn’t send a very good message to McCann and Sheridan.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

They always say we don't get to see what goes on during the week at training. But if the performances on match day don't cut it then whatever they do during the week shouldn't matter. If jordi is fit I'd give him a start on Friday night. The adrenaline of playing old team mates will carry him for 60 mins at least. As king said mccann and sheridan need to pushing hard for that 6 spot. I'd be tempted to give izzy time on the pitch at 6 also this year as we did with hendo coming through. He could be a lawes type player with a high ceiling but he needs gametime.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

justinr73 wrote:Bloody hell KOTH - a couple of kicks that were a yard off in one dodgy minute and John is in your bad books!

Needed to leave himself a couple of ‘learnings’ and ‘work-ons’ or he may as well have retired as soon as he came off the park!
ImageImageJust feel that’s were Ulster have suffered in the past. Those crucial moments when you give teams a sniff. We need to be ruthless to compete at the very top end. He got 30 points, two tries (both walk in or fall ins). Kicked goals well until the pressure came on.

Lowry or Mccloskey MOM for me.

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:00 am McCloskey is on a different planet at the minute. Great to see Lukey back and looking threatening. Stockdale is getting back to form, strong with ball in hand. Michael Lowry really is something else. An absolute joy to watch.

Firstly ... Bout ye King, long long time no yarn. Agree with those points ... Big Stu is a force to be reckoned with, he just doesnt always give front foot ball its front yard ball. And then presents

My one comment on Cooney that I though wasn't applauded ... The speed of distribution, it was blistering... Beating a blitz defence purely by getting ti the breakdown and giving Burns (sadly rarely acknowledged for letting the backs do backs). Thought Cooney gave a masterclass of quick SH play. Its probably debated by better than me ... But we look class when we play off 9 ... 10 just facilitates what comes next. In other words totally AntiSexton style. At times yesterday we looked as good as it gets. Scarlets, despite having the greatest collection of whingers and myopic commentary weren't as bad as a 55 point hoaking looked.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep - especially as finishing the game off seems to have been the mantra over the summer.

Lowry looked incredibly dangerous and, in my view, the argument for giving him a run at 10 is becoming increasingly more difficult to make.

Sure Billy threw another intercept but wasn’t it nice to see him stick one perfectly into the corner at last?

Thanks ref btw!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cornerfleg wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:29 pm

Firstly ... Bout ye King, long long time no yarn. Agree with those points ... Big Stu is a force to be reckoned with, he just doesnt always give front foot ball its front yard ball. And then presents

My one comment on Cooney that I though wasn't applauded ... The speed of distribution, it was blistering... Beating a blitz defence purely by getting ti the breakdown and giving Burns (sadly rarely acknowledged for letting the backs do backs). Thought Cooney gave a masterclass of quick SH play. Its probably debated by better than me ... But we look class when we play off 9 ... 10 just facilitates what comes next. In other words totally AntiSexton style. At times yesterday we looked as good as it gets. Scarlets, despite having the greatest collection of whingers and myopic commentary weren't as bad as a 55 point hoaking looked.
I think they’d argue it was a 16 point hoaking and only that because of the try at the death!

Some of our stuff was indeed tremendous and sustained over multiple phases (incidentally, Munster only managed to go more than four phases twice last week 😂) but it’s probably worth bearing in mind that Scarlets previously drew at home to the Ospreys who then went on to lose at home to the Lions.

Bigger tests to come.

And soon!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Fair point Justin...

Be interesting to read the comments if we shipped 55 points at home. Id say regardless of getting to worhin 16 and that after a try at the end ... Most fans would not be happy with it in any shape or form. But thats just splitting hairs ... I still enjoyed it as a great performance.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I can think of one or two who would be chucking their shirt on the pitch!

I actually saw someone do that when PNE were four nil down at half time at Derby. He later ended up working for the club as kitman, somewhat ironically.

And yes, what an enjoyable game to watch.

Hopefully the terrace will be a bit busier on Friday than it was against Connacht.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Scarlets v Ulster Saturday September 24th 1pm KO - Premier Sports 1 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by kingofthehill »

Cornerfleg wrote:

His ball speed was superb (not just the pass but actually getting the ball out of the ruck) one of the main reasons I would always start Cooney ahead of Doak.

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

One thing I noticed is how clean the ball was for Cooney. He looked very good, but a lot of people put in solid shifts up front to give him the chance to shine. Stuart was probably my man of the match too, broke an insane number of tackles and some lovely hands. Impressed by quite a few others, notably Treadwell who is turning into a decent wee player.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

It is great to see the old combination of McCluskey and Marshall back together I know that Hume had a great season last year but he tends to be more of an individualistic player where as this is a partnership. Will be an interesting problem for Dan when Hume returns and of course Moore,Posthelwaite and even Madigan also looking for a start too.
With regard to the Master and the apprentice I thought Doak had speeded up his pickup from the scrum last week against Connacht but it is a great situation where Ulster have two scrum halves who are nearly on par and first class players even if the Ireland coaches can’t see it.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Aird wrote:It is great to see the old combination of McCluskey and Marshall back together I know that Hume had a great season last year but he tends to be more of an individualistic player where as this is a partnership. Will be an interesting problem for Dan when Hume returns and of course Moore,Posthelwaite and even Madigan also looking for a start too.
With regard to the Master and the apprentice I thought Doak had speeded up his pickup from the scrum last week against Connacht but it is a great situation where Ulster have two scrum halves who are nearly on par and first class players even if the Ireland coaches can’t see it.
Hume starts - simples.

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

kingofthehill wrote:
Aird wrote:It is great to see the old combination of McCluskey and Marshall back together I know that Hume had a great season last year but he tends to be more of an individualistic player where as this is a partnership. Will be an interesting problem for Dan when Hume returns and of course Moore,Posthelwaite and even Madigan also looking for a start too.
Hume starts - simples.

Any idea how far away Hume is?

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk